Poll: Are you still running CC3?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Anyone Still running CC3? in General; SCCM is too time consuming, breaks easily and not really needed for a secondary school. I've got to disagree with ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SCCM is too time consuming, breaks easily and not really needed for a secondary school.
    I've got to disagree with that entire statement.

We've been running it for the last two and a bit years and been using it in anger since September last year. It's been perfectly stable. Yes, it takes a long time to set up but once it's going, it's going and assuming you use the suite to its full ability it will save you a considerable amount of time as everything gets automated.

Not really needed for a secondary school? How do you figure? I suppose it depends on the size of the secondary school but any estate which has more than 100 computers benefits from SCCM. The ability to push software, updates and configurations, the ability to take inventories and monitor what software is being used and AV management make it absolutely invaluable to me. The ability to schedule of that does too. Targeting software/updates/configurations at specific users or computers is pretty damn cool too. Whereas all MDT will do for you is deploy an OS and install software during its task sequence. Not a trivial task by any means but it offers nowhere near the functionality of SCCM or similar products.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I've got to disagree with that entire statement.
    Agreed. Primary school here with ~150 machines and its invaluable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Agreed. Primary school here with ~150 machines and its invaluable.
    Thirded

SCCM 2007 took me a bit of time to get setup initially (SCCM 2012 is much better to get up and running - 48 hours tops from install to usability)

I used 2007 R3 at my school and it saved me a lot of man hours for updates, distribution and of course OS Deployments!
    Would seriously recommend that people take the time to look at SCCM 2012 as it will make your life much, much easier

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 868 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fourthed. We use it here as a secondary and it's also invaluable. What it offers over and above MDT is massive - it can indeed be overkill but, and the big but is everyone's requirements are different. It's not even like we spend a lot of time using it - it just sits there and works - wsus, pxe builds, software deployment, inventory management, licensing/software management but to name just a few. Just think of it as consolidating services. It only breaks easily if there's something wrong. MDT will break easily if you try hard enough - as will an iPhone!

As said though, before making jumps you need to decide exactly what you need to do, to what scale, to what benefits, pros & cons and work from there. Education ICT isn't a one size fit's all thing and it's not just about the computers, or the network, or the technical staff, or the users, or the finances. It's a fine balance between all of them.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 26th June 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Same here...
    And here!

Looking at moving from CC4 to Vanilla now

Thank Post
    Much the same as a few others here. Intending to switch from CC3 to vanilla MS setup in the summer. Already have the infrastructure in place and are using Server 2012 for Hyper-V v3 etc... Not sure if we'll bother with SCCM yet but are already using MDT ready for the various ICT suite upgrades.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I'd hope you mean 2008R2... although you should really consider Server 2012 (it is much better)
    Why do you feel 2012 is better Rick? I'm about to start that CC3 to Vanilla server learning curve, and settled on 2008 R2 as there seemed to be little difference between the two. We don't plan on using VM. Is there something I'm missing?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 868 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why use an already obsolete operating system - by 2 versions. There's point one. Longer support for relevant software, perhaps including SIMS (not sure how far the roadmap is for that)
    Better DFS, ReFS, dedupe...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For me there is no one specific feature but there are a few which are useful

AD Recycle bin GUI
    File Dedupe
    iSCSI hosting
    Booting a physical server from a VHD
    Virtualisation improvements
    Much better Core installation
    Server Manager is actually worth having now

That's by no means exhaustive, there's a lot there in terms of new features.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12