+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs. in General; Now that we've completed our building at the back of the garden, i'm thinking of buying a dog or two. ...
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post

Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs.

Now that we've completed our building at the back of the garden, i'm thinking of buying a dog or two.

My two favorites are the Siberian Huskey with blue / white eyes, or the Alaskan Malamute.

Does anyone have any dogs? If so, which? Why did you choose that dog? Monthly expenses excl. Vet bills?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get a rescue dog....they need homes much more than specific breeds

3. 9 Thanks to nephilim:

ButterflyMoon (25th June 2013), Elison (2nd July 2013), Garacesh (26th June 2013), HallX (25th June 2013), JJonas (25th June 2013), Netman (25th June 2013), Novalee (25th June 2013), Rawns (25th June 2013), speckytecky (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you got an experience with dogs?

I wouldn't suggest a breed like that for a first time unless you've some serious time to devout to learning and training - they WILL try to dominate the household

5. Thanks to Domino from:

JJonas (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post

I wouldn't suggest a breed like that for a first time unless you've some serious time to devout to learning and training - they WILL try to dominate the household
    Agreed - you'd also need to do walk these types of dog for a couple of hours a day to keep them exercised properly.

Meldrew

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Get a rescue dog....they need homes much more than specific breeds
    Not to sound heartless, which i am, but not in this case, i've ALWAYS wanted one or the other of the two i've listed. Always. If there are some Siberian Huskey / Alaskan Malamute rescue dogs, i'd take 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post

I do. Family members have had dobermans, gsheps, rocks, pits. Out of all, the pitbull and doberman were the hardest to keep calm. Have been managed well by their owners, and are well cuddly once trained. They walk like a boss, and listen to every command given, unless they see the opposite sex *HOLD ONTO THE STRAP!*

Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post
    Agreed - you'd also need to do walk these types of dog for a couple of hours a day to keep them exercised properly.

Meldrew
    I have about 8 hours spare a day. I could manage 4 of those for my dogs, plus i can split the time with my brother. We also have a huge garden, for when they're young

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seven years ago we picked up a rescue dog - well new puppy actually; born as one of a litter of 10 from a dog 'dropped off' at a rescue centre. The motherwas defo part German Shepard but our dog is much more Labradoor. She looks like a lab, loves water and food and is just such a fab part of our family. Best bit is mongrels like her tend to be pretty healthy as they aren't interbreed which many of the more pure bred varieties are.

9. Thanks to speckytecky from:

Elison (2nd July 2013)

Thank Post
    Make sure you train them well as most of those Huskies/Malamute beasts I come across seem to be completely psychotic, as they obviously don't get the attention or training they need. My wife had to fend one off, on the park in the ice when the owner couldn't keep control of it as it was trying to get one of our dogs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Not to sound heartless, which i am, but not in this case, i've ALWAYS wanted one or the other of the two i've listed. Always. If there are some Siberian Huskey / Alaskan Malamute rescue dogs, i'd take 1 or 2.
    Romania has about 3 million street dogs last I read, and they're engaged in a capture and kill policy lately. I'm sure some of them are similar to what you want. Worth having a look around the different sanctuaries and charities at rescue dogs. There are a *lot* of dogs who need homes.

12. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

Elison (2nd July 2013), Netman (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Please don't buy a dog on looks alone. They are not a fashion accessory.

Huskys and Mal's are both breeds that require specific care to keep them healthy and happy. Read up on breed types and see what suits your life style. IF you are a highly active family that has a large husky proof area to let the dog roam free, or have the means to properly exercise an adult of the breed while keeping it on a lead then yes, a husky or a mal might suit.
    If not then be prepared for howling and destruction.

There are loads of breeds out there, at least one to suit every life style. Just read up on them.

14. Thanks to arwen from:

Netman (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    We have two Westies that we got from West Highland White Terrier rescue by Westie ReHoming

These are cracking little dogs that have never failed to make us laugh.

Thank Post
    This is Riley, my rescue German Shepherd. It's hard work, but he is worth it! He needs at least an hour and 1/2 of walking a day and on weekends he gets around 3 hours. Money wise - he hasn't been to the vets since I first got him - his jabs a due in a week or so, so will end up paying out then!!! Food wise I pay 20 for a bag bag of working dog dry food from a local mill (that lasts about a month) and then he gets butchers tripe which is usually on offer in Tescos. All in all he doesn't cost me that much, but he is still a fairly young dog (we think he is 5) and I am sure that might change when he gets older.

Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs.-485497_10151426483551634_1075687837_n.jpg

Thank Post
    iv got 4 dogs, 3 shizues and a wibermarner(german gun dog, the one with the blue eyes)

the shizues get a walk each day for an hour and the wiber goes on her own with me in the mornings for a run about 2 hours around the farm i live on.
    they also have free range of the house in the day.
    2 of the 4 dogs a re homed 1 of those 2 is a brother and uncle to the other 2 shizues

they do need alot of time to train aswell im still training the youngest to NOT escape the garden(she climbes the fence and she is the smallest of them all)

Thank Post
    Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs.-jack-ball.jpg

Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs.-teddy.jpg

These are Jack and Teddy, the aforementioned Westies. They haven't been the cheapest dogs that we've ever had but I don't begrudge a single penny (I just wish Jack wouldn't bark at the tv when another animal comes on).

50 on food between them per two months, 50/month pet insurance, 300 a year each for allergy injections (that we're trying to see if they can do without), 50 every three months for haircuts. Plus a few treats and new toys and the unexpected vet bill when one gets something caught in his paw etc.

Remember, buying the dog is probably the cheapest part of it.
    Last edited by HarryMonkey; 25th June 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd love a dog but being a single person in a first floor flat who works all day - I'm not sure it'll be fair on them All my family have dogs, all Rough Collies or part Rough Collie. My sister has four dogs and my mum has two. I think my mum is going to let her two breed, if she does I may ask for one of her pups and see how it goes.

Thank Post
    Dogs can be hard work, when I was younger my family waited until me and my siblings were over twelve before getting a dog. Anyway if you want to get a dog try and have sometime off for the first week or so is all I can advise.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast