+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs. in General; Originally Posted by Sunnyknight Update. I can now confirm that i would want a Siberian Huskey Pup. All of the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Update.

I can now confirm that i would want a Siberian Huskey Pup. All of the rescue centers i was shown, and looked at myself, do not have any pups? I'm looking for a black and white with blue eyes. Male to start off with, and a female would be bought in when i've got the 'jist' of things.

Can anyone explain why on so many males, owners 'snip' their parts? I heard it's to calm them down? Or lower their sex drive Would this be a solution if it happened to us men for women!?
    Unless you are keeping your male for breeding, all male dogs should be neutered imho. When he is off the lead you don't see what he is doing and there are FAR TOO many unwanted dogs in the world to bring in more. An unneutered male will often try and mate with any female dog, whether on heat or not, and this can result in a frightening and painful experience for another dog.
    Also, other dogs will attack an unneutered male even if the dog is a great softy himself.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Hmmmmm, interesting, a lot of people do 'snip' their dogs if they're not breeding. However, i don't want to rule out the fact that i could breed a few in the future, so i'm unsure.

As everyone has stated, i'll have to visit a petshelter / rescue center and find out more information. Leaflets aren't enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is unfair to the animal if you do not know if you want to breed. If you do, do not do it for the money on selling the pups, thats a bad reason. If you do breed, be prepared to have additional costs (my brothers german shepherd had pups a little while back, and she had 7 of them, cross breed between german shepherd and a sheepdog, they look gorgeous!) Costs for vaccinations, additional food, and time to house train them has been astronomical. Just a heads up.

Thank Post
    As well as preventing unwanted pregnancy, male dogs can smell female dogs in season from over a mile away, which some complete males are fine with, others it causes them to get extremely stressed with a strong natural urge to get to the female dog on heat. This can mean they get destructive in the house, try to escape from the garden or run off on walks. If they escape they are so focused on getting to the dog on heat that they will ignore any recall commands and also their surroundings, so they'll do things like run across a busy roads etc.
    Also, there are far too many dogs in this country already, you just have to look at the figures for the number of dogs put down by rescues to see it is a massive problem. I would also say that female dogs should also be neutered as it helps prevent the stress caused to male dogs and also further prevents unwanted pregnancy.
    If you want a Siberian Husky puppy, please ensure you get it from a reputable breeder and you need to see the paperwork for all the health tests have been done for both the sire and the dam. For that breed both should have elbow and hip scores and also DNA tests for Progressive Retinal Atrophy and GM1-gangliosidosis. You should also see both parents to ensure they have a good temperament. If you can't tick all these boxes then walk away. Yes you will find puppies from good breeders are more expensive, but that is because they care for the breed and are ensuring they breed from healthy parents and doing their best to stamp out inheritable conditions. Getting the right puppy at the start may cost more, but you're likely to have less ongoing health problems and a dog with a better temperament.
    Another thing to watch out for is there are some companies that have set up online registration for dogs and try to fool people into thinking they are Kennel Club registered, so check the certificate is actually from the Kennel Club and also go onto the KC website and check the registration of both parents.

Thank Post
    Also worth noting that if you get a puppy from a decent breeder or a pet shelter, many of them demand that you get your dog neutered at the right age.

Good breeders want control over their breeding lines. Some breeders will allow you to not neuter, but will not let you breed from the dog without their consent. Shelters are wanting to limit the increase of unwanted dogs as much as possible. In many breeds neutering also reduced the chances of medical complications later on.

There are many husky type rescues out there, but I am refraining from linking you to them as personally I think its wrong that you seem to only want a dog on looks alone. If you want a husky, done the research and decided that yes you can look after it and keep it healthy and happy. Why are you so specific on looks? Maybe that is just me though and my love for all animals, pretty or otherwise.

Thank Post
    I'm going to be out there and suggest getting a cat!

Bluepoint Ragdoll FTW!

Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs.-squeak-1.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is my dog Colin

He is a miniature poodle. I chose a poodle because of the no moulting thing, the ease to train and the miniature size, because he is not too big or too small.

I highly recommend poodles. As long as they are trained properly, they are brilliant, clever dogs. They live for approx 17 years and have few ailments.

I have to get him groomed every 8 weeks or so, but I am starting to do that myself with a £40 set of shears (I'm upgrading soon!)
    I pay £8 a month for insurance. £35ish for boosters each year.

He got an infected saliva gland once and that cost £65 for a couple of injections and a course of anti-biotics, but that has been it.

When we went travelling around Europe a couple of years ago we took him with us and people would gather round him (he likes to dance) and make a fuss. Most amusing.

Most people think that poodles are fancy, but Colin isn't. There is nothing he loves more than to jump into a river to fetch a stick, or run through mud. He is just a normal dog because that is how we have brought him up!
    Last edited by Joanne; 26th June 2013 at 03:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Ohhh we are posting pictures now.
    Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs.-547032_10151087850941053_1694242462_n.jpg

That's my dog Ozzy (pedigree name "the dark rider of Oz"), border terrier. His hobbies include being whittling sticks, sleeping, doing tricks and being stubborn (when he twigs you are on the way home from a walk he will just sit, unwilling to move until you walk away from home again... makes it fun devising new routes home from the park/woods)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    being stubborn (when he twigs you are on the way home from a walk he will just sit, unwilling to move until you walk away from home again... makes it fun devising new routes home from the park/woods)
    I found from my own experience of when I was younger, that this was because they didn't think they were exercised enough.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I found from my own experience of when I was younger, that this was because they didn't think they were exercised enough.
    This is after a 4 hour walk when he is panting and puffing, and when we do get home he kips! He does like playing with other dogs though, i think that's mainly why (only dog atm) He gets 2 walks a day minimum, first one 1 hour, second one is normally a few hours at least.

Thank Post
    Dogs. Yes, i said it. Dogs.-946996_10152797330510165_1138248726_n.jpg

Riley striding out!! I have joined a German sheperd rescue group on Facebook and we all meet up for walks all over the North West - its ace!!! This is Cuerden Valley near me about 20 GSD's turned up! people wet them selves when they saw us!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123