+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Should kids use iPads for textbooks in school? in General; I didnt know where to put this, so i have put it in the general forum. Have your say if ...
    Thank Post

Should kids use iPads for textbooks in school?

I didnt know where to put this, so i have put it in the general forum.

Have your say if the ipads should replace the text book in schools.

Should kids use iPads for textbooks in school?

Thank Post
    If it's *just* for a textbook, no. A Kindle or similar dedicated e-Reader will provide all of those benefits for a fraction of the price. If they're using it for other things that need a tablet then sure

Thank Post
    Have a teacher stand at the front of the class and read from the only textbook in school - while the kids write it down..

That's what happened in my day!

(BTW - I am rather old!)

Blah - slates - chalk - clip rount the ear - inkwell - blah!

4. Thanks to carvjo from:

rbh30 (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Instant No Button! Star Wars funnies FTW!

I seem to remember reading a new article from of of the schools who bought an ipad for every pupil, 6 months in half were broken/stolen. Cant find the link right now

edit :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LF-broken.html
    Last edited by LiamH; 25th June 2013 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    they live longer that textbooks

Ipads and computers last longer because text books last only one to two years because then there information will get out dated. On the other hand ipads and computers will allways have the right information because people will keep wrighting about the curent information. And it will be less expensive to keep buying new books.
    Someone just needs to go back to school and pay attention this time

ALSO - All of the "yes" answers are absolute horse**** they sound like they've asked a bunch of 7 year olds about it. "it saves time not sharpening your pencil" "You won't spell things incorrectly" No you mean you won't learn to write properly and you won't learn to spell properly either. Also they comment about the price of textbooks must be rubbish as the exam board or whoever's book you're using will still charge you for the use of them
    Last edited by Pyroman; 25th June 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    It would use less weight on their backs and it would be fun for them.

iPads are a recent some-what cheap tablet computer that came out in 2010. Apple offers good education programs for schools. The weight of the textbooks in their backpacks would hurt their backs overtime. Whereas an iPad is only 1.44 pounds. The iPad can also have educational video games for the students to learn and entertain themselves.
    FFS when i was a lad (and dinosaurs roamed the earth) we had to have each day the text books and note books for each of our 6 lessons as well as relevant PE/Games kit, including change of shirt, boots and equipment such as hockey stick or tennis raquet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    39% of children read daily using an electronic device.
    IMO its crazy to stop children learning on devices that they are already comfortable using.
    Some really odd comments here considering this is primarily a forum for ITStaff in schools who don't seem to want IT in schools?!?!?!

Children turn away from books in favour of reading electronically - Education News - Education - The Independent

9. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Netman (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    39% of children read daily using an electronic device.
    IMO its crazy to stop children learning on devices that they are already comfortable using.
    Some really odd comments here considering this is primarily a forum for ITStaff in schools who don't seem to want IT in schools?!?!?!

Children turn away from books in favour of reading electronically - Education News - Education - The Independent
    It's not that we don't want IT, it's just that we aren't cretins who go "OMGGG I MUST HAVE DER SHINEY". We know full well what the end cost to the school will be, because it's not just about the initial outlay. It's about maintenance, replacement. You've got to have spares for when someone drops/sits on/throws their iPad. You've got to have a content filter, and a tool to stop them being loaded up with Angry Birds. You've got to have a system to maintain them, and an asset register, and so on and so forth.

If there's a case for e-readers replacing textbooks, then fine, let's see it made. But from a cost point of view alone there's no need to use iPads. Cheap generic £60 tablets running Android, fine. Apple's flagship revenue generator - no thanks.

Thank Post
    Anything that helps kids to engage and learn should be encouraged, that can be a teaching style, a favorite writing pen or even a piece of IT.
    As an engineer (motor vehicle before i was an IT man), i look at the job and pick the appropriate tool, not pick the tool and try and find it a use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    Anything that helps kids to engage and learn should be encouraged, that can be a teaching style, a favorite writing pen or even a piece of IT.
    At any cost?

As an engineer (motor vehicle before i was an IT man), i look at the job and pick the appropriate tool, not pick the tool and try and find it a use.
    If you had to choose between two tools that did the same job, one costing £25 and the other £250, would you choose the more expensive one or the cheaper one?

Thank Post
    @Flatpackhamster

It depends on the job, if I'm hitting a spanner with a hammer then i want it to be Snap-on not some cheap no name spanner that might break and injure me. But then a Snap-on spanner is guaranteed for life, never becomes obsolete and isn't a pain to configure.

The point i was trying to make was that anything that stimulates learning should be encouraged not just IT solutions. IT on its own doesn't guarantee better learning it still requires engaging and interesting teachers and teaching methods. I have witnessed to many "create a document about subject x" lessons where the kids copy and paste the first article they find on the internet then spend more time either chatting or playing with fonts and colours.

There are far to many posts on here where a tech is asking what to do with the pile of iPads that has just been given to them. That to me is buying the tool then looking at a way to use it. It's the wrong way around.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Someone just needs to go back to school and pay attention this time

ALSO - All of the "yes" answers are absolute horse**** they sound like they've asked a bunch of 7 year olds about it. "it saves time not sharpening your pencil" "You won't spell things incorrectly" No you mean you won't learn to write properly and you won't learn to spell properly either. Also they comment about the price of textbooks must be rubbish as the exam board or whoever's book you're using will still charge you for the use of them
    Completely agree.
    I never broke my back when carrying books around.

I voted no and put an actual good response, don't get me wrong if kids looked after the equipment and it worked all the time I would vote yes. Sadly though kids cant look after their own phones so why should they look after iPads. Our IT Support currently looks after netbooks for year 7 and 8.. its a full time job and that's when they are insured and purchased by the parents through the school..

p.s I also liked the responses of "it will save money", do these people know how much schools spend on books and will have to spend on iPads?
    Last edited by mthomas08; 25th June 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    are the text books even available in an electronic format?

If you drop a text book it might get a bit scuffed, drop an iPad and you might lose all your text books.

A student is not going to get mugged for a text book
    Last edited by JJonas; 25th June 2013 at 12:09 PM.

Thank Post
    "guaranteed for life, never becomes obsolete and isn't a pain to configure"

Analogy sort of doesn't apply to the iPad then

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carvjo View Post
    Have a teacher stand at the front of the class and read from the only textbook in school - while the kids write it down..

That's what happened in my day!

(BTW - I am rather old!)
    It didn't work then and it won't work now Twenty terrible reasons for lecturing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast