+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Should kids use iPads for textbooks in school? in General; Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster If you had to choose between two tools that did the same job, one costing 25 ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    If you had to choose between two tools that did the same job, one costing 25 and the other 250, would you choose the more expensive one or the cheaper one?
    Depends if the 25 one does the required job perfectly adequately and the 250 one has a load of extra features that aren't really required.

Thank Post
    Course it didn't work, we was all educated by fancy gadgets which is why most of the country is being run by 14 year olds.. oh wait.

Thank Post
    If you had to choose between two tools that did the same job, one costing 25 and the other 250, would you choose the more expensive one or the cheaper one?
    Bad analogy. A 25 hammer will be almost exactly the same as a 250 hammer. A single book at 25 is not the same as a 250 device. If you have to buy 11 books then instantly the 250 device is cheaper, never mind the ease of access and other benefits.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if the original question was "Should kids use tablets for textbooks in school?"?

As others have mentioned I am a bit surprised by the reaction on this site, but I guess that is due to the Apple slant to the question.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately this has nothing to do with the "Apple Slant" even if some one asked about the Windows Surfaces as a solution people will react the same way.

A class of textbooks costing 25 each and a one off payment of 250? isn't it a full class of 250 that are required?

If we talk about the iPads sitting in the class that's still a full 30 required 30x250 or 30x25, not forgetting the charging trolley and maintenance/support costs.

With books you simply buy a cupboard, buy a full class set and your done and dusted and looking at the age of textbooks in both schools I worked at they must be about 8 years old. Whats the cost of that?

This school is seeing an average of 10 smashed screens a week, these are insured and warranty for 2 years (add those costs to the iPads as well). What happens when Teacher A asks "Can we install this, manage that" - this is one of the gripes that people have with "Apple". Simply put a staff member asks for MACs and is okay with them not being supported/managed then 6 months pass then the teacher wants them to managed and supported with some control as well. This does add up cost and support time.

Text books wins and has nothing to do with "Keeping up" with the times, most software these days are outdated unless you pay the support/annual costs - again costing more. Not all APPs are free.

5. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

Meldrew (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    The actual question was about replacing the textbook and not the exercise book or the pen or pencil, people on that site seem to have gone off on a tangent. The way I look at it is, the textbook is a way of finding and learning information, the same can be said for any internet enabled device. At your finger tips you have the most powerful informational tool with access to information from all kinds of sources much much more than one textbook is able to provide. You then have to balance this with the fact you need to understand that not all sources can be trusted, that the internet is full of distractions and bad things. Personally I do see a future for internet ready devices to replace textbooks. Just because you have an electronic text book doesn't mean you have to use electronics to write the information down on, I don't see that happening. You talk about a 250 on a device, but you could easily get away with a sub 100 android tablet for simple internet research.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Bad analogy. A 25 hammer will be almost exactly the same as a 250 hammer. A single book at 25 is not the same as a 250 device. If you have to buy 11 books then instantly the 250 device is cheaper, never mind the ease of access and other benefits.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if the original question was "Should kids use tablets for textbooks in school?"?

As others have mentioned I am a bit surprised by the reaction on this site, but I guess that is due to the Apple slant to the question.
    I was talking about two different tablets, not a book and a tablet. My point is not the objection to the technology but the cretinous wankitude which says 'What a lovely apple logo - I must own 5 million of those'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I was talking about two different tablets, not a book and a tablet. My point is not the objection to the technology but the cretinous wankitude which says 'What a lovely apple logo - I must own 5 million of those'.
    Sounds like the same cretinous wanktitude that says MSoffice has loads of features the school will never need, therefore I'll waste thousands of pounds per year on an EES agreement.

9. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Netman (25th June 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could also raise the question, why are the kids not being taught the advanced features of Office? I never came across PivotTables, Data Connections, Import/Export or XML Tables in school for example.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12