+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Gaming dev resources for a noob in General; Originally Posted by Rawns Primarily, my aim is to lean C#. I just think I may as well try and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Primarily, my aim is to lean C#. I just think I may as well try and learn it while developing something that really interests me. In theory, it should hold my attention a lot more.
    In that case, I'd head over to C-Sharp Corner and follow some of their beginner's tutorials, then jump straight in to the XNA tutorials on the MSDN Create website I linked to earlier - it'll start you off making a side scrolling space shooter and from there you can build up. I always find the best way I learn a new language is to take example code and alter it to see the effects, then apply it to my own game/project. MSDN is a fantastic resource for looking up examples of how to use different methods too!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 24th June 2013 at 02:17 PM.

2. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Rawns (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Rawns get onto the Extra Credits guys. [I think James was/is a dev.]

They should be able to point you in the right direction. [IIRC, they DO answer these sort of questions.]

Le EDIT:

Have a couple of videos.

1 2
    Last edited by X-13; 24th June 2013 at 02:21 PM.

4. Thanks to X-13 from:

Rawns (24th June 2013)

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I don't know where you get this idea that a team will somehow make everything so much better... yeah sure, if you wanted to make Crysis 4 before the PS4 is obsolete you'd need a team the size of a AAA studio, but you could make an awesome game on your own under less pressure.

Your opinions suggest a lack of knowledge/appreciation for the indie game developers community...
    Right, let's clear this up.

Lets go with a team of 3 for this scenario. We have a beginner programmer, and artist, and a game designer vs one person doing all 3.

The game designer will come up with certain aspects of a game that he / she would want to incorporate. They would layout a plan, a list of to dos and all of the project management tools at their disposal.
    The artist, would begin to design characters / player models, backgrounds, and different layers for the scenes.
    The programmer would at this point be brushing up on any skills necessary for coding all of this into the software and preparing for any bugs / errors.

vs

Solo.

You see the difference? I could expand so much more, but i really can not be bothered. How i know all of this, again, because i've lead a team getting the best possible results. Not to mention making a car simulation to test reactions while on the phone or listening to music etc.

I know where i am coming from, because i HAVE done this. I began from the bottom, and i'm no where near the top, because, there isn't a top.

Thank Post
    By doing. Keep making increasingly complex games and certain things become second nature. Of course nobody remembers every possible call, you always need to reference something (MSDN is great for that BTW) but there's a huge difference between following a tutorial and completing a project off your own back. I'd have thought you'd have known these having a degree in programming?
    Yes, and how do you do these things? By first copying what is written, understanding it, changing it, and then compiling it. Then do a more complex task, and continue. You START, by copying, thus, proving my first point.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Straight up copy+pasting won't teach you anything.

Learn by doing. Have a book/website to hand [nobody instantly knows the correct syntax or arguments] but experiment.

If you want to do XYZ think about what arguments you have available and how they could help achieve it.
    You just contradicted what i said, and then repeated what i said.

Anyway, @Rawns if you want some help in programming, i can point you in the direction of a few people who have become professionals in c / c# / c++
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 24th June 2013 at 02:22 PM.

7. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

Rawns (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    You just contradicted what i said, and then repeated what i said.
    You originally suggested that Rawns "follow the steps" to make a pacman/pong game.

In other words, straight up copy code.

Copying code without knowing what it means will get you nowhere. Sure, you made a game. But, can you make it again? WITHOUT the book.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    I know where i am coming from, because i HAVE done this. I began from the bottom, and i'm no where near the top, because, there isn't a top.
    So, where can I buy your software?

Thank Post
    Copying code without knowing what it means will get you nowhere. Sure, you made a game. But, can you make it again? WITHOUT the book.
    If you asked me that 3 years ago, i'd have said yes. Now... no.

So, where can I buy your software?
    If our game was so good that it could compete with industry, you think i'd be on this!?

Thank Post
    This has got me thinking of picking up a previous project I was going to try and work on.. will be keeping an eye out for your progress @Rawns!

(6 years of working with a coding language called 'PAWN' {formely known as 'Small'} - those who are in the know of SA-MP will know about it. It's nothing remotely amazing, but it's C likeness has given me a bit of a headstart as it's all fairly familiar arguments and such.)

All I would say, @Rawns, is don't let the whole "Hm, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to programming." blur your vision of the project. Remember, all the great game developers started out with those exact thoughts. The beauty of Indie is you've got no time restraints, you can start whenever and finish whenever, shaping the game as you progress/learn new skills.
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 24th June 2013 at 02:40 PM.

12. 2 Thanks to Fleetwood:

LosOjos (24th June 2013), Rawns (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    The problem is @Sunnyknight that you may have some valid points to make, but none of them so far have been relevant to somebody who, in their opening post, professed to being a noob. I mean, what are you suggesting here? That @Rawns, with no C# knowledge, joins a team of game designers and artists as a programmer to create a 3D game capable of competing with a AAA title? Get a grip!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 24th June 2013 at 02:35 PM.

Thank Post
    The problem is @Sunnyknight that you may have some valid points to make, but none of them so far have been relevant to somebody who, in their opening post, professed to being a noob. I mean, what are you suggesting here? That @Rawns, with no C# knowledge, joins a team of game designers and artists as a programmer to create a 3D game capable of competing with a AAA title? Get a grip!
    No @LosOjos. He starts off with a team of beginner programmers. Not venturing alone. You can problem solve 100x faster with 100x (SARCASM) more eyes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    This has got me thinking of picking up a previous project I was going to try and work on..
    Same here.
    @Rawns would you be up for working together (independent but together... like 2 people in the same class) on this?

16. Thanks to X-13 from:

Rawns (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Same here.
    @Rawns would you be up for working together (independent but together... like 2 people in the same class) on this?
    *pops head up* Put my name down too if that happens!

18. Thanks to Fleetwood from:

Rawns (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    or you could all @TBlax @X-13 @Rawns make a game together...

20. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

Rawns (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    All I would say, @Rawns, is don't let the whole "Hm, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to programming." - Remember, all the great game developers started out with those exact thoughts. The beauty of Indie is you've got no time restraints, you can start whenever and finish whenever, shaping the game as you progress/learn new skills.
    This sums it up nicely for me. When playing various indie games and reading up on how the came to be because someone wanted to learn a language, it shows it is possible and that with a bit of time and effort, anyone can do it.

22. 2 Thanks to Rawns:

Fleetwood (24th June 2013), LosOjos (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I think that's what X-13 was getting at Sunnyqueen brilliant game idea:

You're an IT Technician in a school. It's home time, you've picked up your things and ready to leave. The plot of the game? Escape to your car whilst trying to avoid fire-breathing teachers/snot shooting kids with their petty requests. Final Boss could be RM trying to sell you their latest products.*

*Disclaimer: It's a sh1t3 idea, I know

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast