+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Gaming dev resources for a noob in General; Originally Posted by X-13 Not at this point thought. High end, 3D rendered games aren't good for when you're learning ...
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Not at this point thought.

High end, 3D rendered games aren't good for when you're learning coding.

Start basic, then work your way up to CryEngine.
    I know! I know!!! *Bangs head against wall* I I I I I KNOW! lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Christ, i miss out one word and i get slandered for it. Sprities are basic graphics. A dot can be interpreted as a sprite. A line can be interpreted as a sprite.
    You can't get p'd off at other people because you weren't clear... it's up to you as the speaker to get your point across, not me the listener to fill in the blanks for you!

You try calling 3d rendered models a sprite.
    I wouldn't, I'd call them 3D models because that's what they are.

To do get as far as that, and not stay 2d, you need a team of at least 5 (as me and my group did in uni and got a A16 (highest grade possible)). Otherwise, 2d is as far as he'll go.
    Well that's just plain false... of course, it'd be easier as a team but it's by no means impossible to make a 3D game on your own.

Using Engines such as Unreal or Crysis can also help along the way for his game.
    I don't think it's in the best interests of anybody who wants to learn to program to start off using a huge game engine. Yeah, you will pick up on some core fundamentals of the language they're based on, but you'll mostly be making calls to routines that are specific to that game engine and useless anywhere else. Game engines are fantastic don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't say they're great for learning to program.

It comes down to this: do you want to make a game as quickly as possible, or do you want to learn games programming? The answer will completely change your approach.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the feedback, indeed @LosOjos, "noob" is a most adequate term here for my level!

I completely understand there is no hope of jumping straight into making a game of my dreams here, but half the reason of starting out like this is to learn some new skills. My aim is to learn the basics, grapple with recreating something basic like pong, pacman or pinball, and then continue to try and learn and build on it.

When I fell more confident, I will then give making my own game a shot. Like @X-13 suggested, I'll likely go for a platform game of some sort first and then take it from there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback, indeed @LosOjos, "noob" is a most adequate term here for my level!

I completely understand there is no hope of jumping straight into making a game of my dreams here, but half the reason of starting out like this is to learn some new skills. My aim is to learn the basics, grapple with recreating something basic like pong, pacman or pinball, and then continue to try and learn and build on it.

When I fell more confident, I will then give making my own game a shot. Like @X-13 suggested, I'll likely go for a platform game of some sort first and then take it from there.
    That will take you, with a correct mindset, a week to get pingpong or pacman. To learn C#, you can't. It's endless.

Thank Post
    To do get as far as that, and not stay 2d, you need a team of at least 5 (as me and my group did in uni and got a A16 (highest grade possible)). Otherwise, 2d is as far as he'll go.
    While I'm years away from the same level, the guy who made Dead Cyborg all by himself managed 3D alright. Not Unreal engine quality, but still none too shabby.

Thank Post
    That will take you, with a correct mindset, a week to get pingpong or pacman. To learn C#, you can't. It's endless.
    A week to make a game start to finish with no background knowledge of the language? Sounds legit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Well that's just plain false... of course, it'd be easier as a team but it's by no means impossible to make a 3D game on your own.
    Yes, and the quality of the 3D game would be reflected against that of a teams.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    recreating something basic like pong, pacman or pinball
    Do all 3. In that order.

Pong > getting everything on screen, movement, collision and basic +1 scoring
    Pacman > enemy ai, damage/health and resetting the level
    Pinball > more advanced physics and it should help you learn how to structure layouts. [If the pinball map is laid out badly, it won't be playable.]

A week to make a game start to finish with no background knowledge of the language? Sounds legit.
    You ninja'd me while I was typing, good sir.
    Last edited by X-13; 24th June 2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: "resetting the level" not "respawning"... you don't want to respawn into a ghost.

Thank Post
    I did. Not rocket science. You get a book, you turn on the pc, download whatever program you're comfortable using, and you follow the steps. Ta.....da.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did. Not rocket science. You get a book, you turn on the pc, download whatever program you're comfortable using, and you follow the steps. Ta.....da.....
    Copying code != learning how to write code

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Copying code != learning how to write code
    Then how do you learn to write code?

Thank Post
    Yes, and the quality of the 3D game would be reflected against that of a teams.
    I don't know where you get this idea that a team will somehow make everything so much better... yeah sure, if you wanted to make Crysis 4 before the PS4 is obsolete you'd need a team the size of a AAA studio, but you could make an awesome game on your own under less pressure.

Your opinions suggest a lack of knowledge/appreciation for the indie game developers community...

Thank Post
    By doing. Keep making increasingly complex games and certain things become second nature. Of course nobody remembers every possible call, you always need to reference something (MSDN is great for that BTW) but there's a huge difference between following a tutorial and completing a project off your own back. I'd have thought you'd have known these having a degree in programming?

Thank Post
    Primarily, my aim is to lean C#. I just think I may as well try and learn it while developing something that really interests me. In theory, it should hold my attention a lot more.

Years ago, I bought a 'teach yourself VB' book which involved building a stock market tracker program. After chapter 2, I gave up as I had no interest with building a program to monitor the FTSE100!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Straight up copy+pasting won't teach you anything.

Learn by doing. Have a book/website to hand [nobody instantly knows the correct syntax or arguments] but experiment.

If you want to do XYZ think about what arguments you have available and how they could help achieve it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast