+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
General Chat Thread, Home improvements in General; ...
  1. #1
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Rep Power
    72

    Home improvements

    Me and my pops have recently completed our extension at the back of the garden which has added value to our house by £35+k (so the estate agent says , personally think it can be more if we got PP and done it double skin).

    We built a single skin, with a pitched room, marley brown double roman tiles, pvcu french patio doors and x2 pvcu windows. It's an 8 by 4 and from top to bottom its 3.25. Cost us a total of £3k.

    Yes, i don't seem like the working type, but when i need to, i work wonders!

    Anyone else got plans for their home?

  2. #2

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,052
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 391 Times in 299 Posts
    Rep Power
    163
    Have fun when you sell the house... Without planning or building regs, the lawyers will go into a tail-spin.

  3. #3
    Alkaline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    293
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Sell up fast, apparently there is another housing bubble which is about to pop.

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Have fun when you sell the house... Without planning or building regs, the lawyers will go into a tail-spin.
    Agreed. I converted a garage to an office a few years ago. I then moved with work and my wife dealt with the house sale. The agent put it down as a garden room/bedroom and that's when the fun began. More recently, our neighbours gardens were a really odd shape where they met, so a simple bit of fence moving made it all much neater. However, it was spotted when one neighbour sold up and cost them a fortune in legal fees. It would have been a 15 minute job to put it back how it was.

  5. #5
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Have fun when you sell the house... Without planning or building regs, the lawyers will go into a tail-spin.
    Unless you build double skin, you don't need to worry too much about planning / building regs. We've had people in for the electrics who said they know companies who'd be willing to employ us because we did such a great job with the building

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Unless you build double skin, you don't need to worry too much about planning / building regs. We've had people in for the electrics who said they know companies who'd be willing to employ us because we did such a great job with the building
    I'm not sure that's right. The size is an important factor but I was under the impression that any permanent structure had to meet building regs.

  7. #7
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I'm not sure that's right. The size is an important factor but I was under the impression that any permanent structure had to meet building regs.
    Structural Stability - Trenches 6ft deep. Pre-mixed concrete. Floor 4ft deep. Pre-mixed concrete. Quote SSconcrete: 'Why do you need so much concrete? What are you going to stand on it? A tank?!' <<< always gives me the giggles.
    Fire-precautions - Plenty of ventilation, and easy evacuation of persons.
    Dampness prevention - Damp course proofing, breathable roof membrane, pitched roof with guttering.
    Sound resistance - Plenty of insulation and well plastered.
    Hygiene - Better than the NHS.
    Heating appliances - None, yet.
    Stairs - Bricked. No ramps.
    Windows and doors - perfect positioning and well cemented.

    I think we're fine with building regs

    Edit: Size of the structure is within all limits, just. lol
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 24th June 2013 at 01:05 PM.

  8. #8

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,052
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 391 Times in 299 Posts
    Rep Power
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    I think we're fine with building regs
    Possibly; but without the piece of paper...

  9. #9

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,244
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Rep Power
    756
    My daughter's boyfriend is about to convert his basement to a room and although he hasn't got pp - the builders and the mortgage company didn't mind but they said it HAD to be signed off re building regs. If you think you have built to the regs, you can get an inspector in to confirm this and then you will have the bit of paper.
    Without at least this you will be in trouble when you sell I think

  10. #10
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Possibly; but without the piece of paper...
    Yeah, s'pose you're right. Damnit! I thought we were in the clear

    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    My daughter's boyfriend is about to convert his basement to a room and although he hasn't got pp - the builders and the mortgage company didn't mind but they said it HAD to be signed off re building regs. If you think you have built to the regs, you can get an inspector in to confirm this and then you will have the bit of paper.
    Without at least this you will be in trouble when you sell I think
    Basement to a room shouldn't take (if he has the time off) more than a week bar electrics. Again, i agree with you and @Andrew_C with the piece of paper. Looks like the last of the chores.

  11. #11


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,289
    Thank Post
    290
    Thanked 886 Times in 664 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    We've converted our 200 year old barn into a "man cave" with workshop, shower room, small kitchenette and home cinema. No planning permission needed but building regs + certificates are essential. We have now started on the house - not extending but some reasonably major reconfiguration involving moving walls, ceilings and opening up into an old hayloft like structure. I hate living in a building site.

    We moved in last year and the previous owners had done some work without the necessary paperwork. It cost them in the end.

  12. #12

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,532
    Thank Post
    1,622
    Thanked 500 Times in 307 Posts
    Rep Power
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post

    We built a single skin,
    Where do you stand on building regs and single skin?

    I just had to second skin my extension, had real bad surface mould issues and moisture.

  13. #13
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    We've converted our 200 year old barn into a "man cave" with workshop, shower room, small kitchenette and home cinema. No planning permission needed but building regs + certificates are essential. We have now started on the house - not extending but some reasonably major reconfiguration involving moving walls, ceilings and opening up into an old hayloft like structure. I hate living in a building site.

    We moved in last year and the previous owners had done some work without the necessary paperwork. It cost them in the end.
    Building regs, building regs, building regs! Ahhhh i'm gonna end up saying it in my sleep! Major reconfiguration of walls is nothing big, lol. Ceilings, what for? If we wrk on the house, ie, huge construction, we'll just rent out a place to stay and move to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Where do you stand on building regs and single skin?

    I just had to second skin my extension, had real bad surface mould issues and moisture.
    If you don't cement the bricks properly, or have your roof trusses and dry verges placed correctly, not to mention the tiles and gutters, you WILL get moisture. Whoever did your single brick, roof and guttering could possibly have done it 'half arsed'. Damn proof coursing prevents moisture on the lower levels. Also depends on the type of bricks you used.

    We used smiley red bricks.

    Edit: Also, if your 'pointing' / 'finishing' on the mortar (cement) wasn't up to scratch, you'll have minute holes in your walls. Coupled with a year or 2 rain and heat, it'll have opened more, cracked a lot more mortar, thus causing moisture.
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 24th June 2013 at 01:40 PM.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    718
    Thank Post
    75
    Thanked 173 Times in 149 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    I've spent the last two years gutting then renovating my house. I pulled all of the ceilings down, downstairs and made it open plan amongst other things. I needed a steel inserting and a brick support building Although it was specced up by a builder the council needed to see a report from a structural engineer. The engineer picked up the quality of the concrete base might not be up to spec, and he was right and i had to dig out and improve. The council then signed it off. It cost about £220 for the engineer and £180 for the council but that bit of paper means no one will doubt if the work is done to a quality standard and there will be no delays if/when i come to sell.

  15. #15
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    I've spent the last two years gutting then renovating my house. I pulled all of the ceilings down, downstairs and made it open plan amongst other things. I needed a steel inserting and a brick support building Although it was specced up by a builder the council needed to see a report from a structural engineer. The engineer picked up the quality of the concrete base might not be up to spec, and he was right and i had to dig out and improve. The council then signed it off. It cost about £220 for the engineer and £180 for the council but that bit of paper means no one will doubt if the work is done to a quality standard and there will be no delays if/when i come to sell.
    What's with everyone ripping down their ceilings... lol. Open floor plan downstairs would require 2 if not 3 steel beams, dependent on the size of your house. You sure are lucky to get away with 1! As for the concrete base, it's why i've put down 6ft for trenches as opposed to 4ft and 4 ft for the floor, as opposed to 1ft.

    For a bit of paper it'll cost me around £400- £500!? Rob me in daylight why don't you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [OPEN] Improvement: Suggestion: Improve The Page Displayed When The Requested Page Cannot Be Found
    By DaveP in forum EduGeek.net Site Problems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th January 2013, 03:01 PM
  2. Setting up home wireless network with MAC and PC..?
    By tosca925 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st November 2011, 05:39 PM
  3. Settign up router for PC and MAC (Home Use)
    By tosca925 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th December 2008, 07:55 AM
  4. Accessing work from home.
    By eejit in forum Windows
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 1st June 2007, 02:47 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st October 2005, 03:55 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •