+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43
General Chat Thread, Home improvements in General; Originally Posted by NikChillin Was it a good quality kitchen? How many units? I have a galley kitchen too and ...
  1. #31


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,485
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 629 Times in 481 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Was it a good quality kitchen? How many units? I have a galley kitchen too and I am thinking of doing it myself. Has anyone had any dealings with these guys?
    It was from Homebase, reasonable quality oak fronts fairly standard worktops. I can't remember offhand the exact number of units - I did the photo's for the house sale so I'll see if I can dig them out.

  2. #32
    NikChillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    on the sofa
    Posts
    911
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 121 Times in 85 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    It was from Homebase, reasonable quality oak fronts fairly standard worktops. I can't remember offhand the exact number of units - I did the photo's for the house sale so I'll see if I can dig them out.
    I have solid Oak fronts but they are looking a little tired, the interiors and worktop are getting tatty so by the time I have changed them I might as well start again. I did get quotes from three companies, all independent but around 12 - 20K, without appliances.

  3. #33

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,388
    Thank Post
    1,105
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Basement to a room shouldn't take (if he has the time off) more than a week bar electrics. Again, i agree with you and @Andrew_C with the piece of paper. Looks like the last of the chores.
    Er - but in this case he has to cut through the living room floor to make a staircase down into said basement, reinforce the roof which is acting as a patio outside the living room (house is on a steep slope) and dig out the floor a bit. Not that straightforward!

  4. #34


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,485
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 629 Times in 481 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    I have solid Oak fronts but they are looking a little tired, the interiors and worktop are getting tatty so by the time I have changed them I might as well start again.
    Damn - send me that old tired wood!

    I did get quotes from three companies, all independent but around 12 - 20K, without appliances.
    ISTR the quotes I got were much the same. The upside of that is hopefully quality, peace of mind and minimal disruption.

    This time round, I'm looking to avoid a fitted kitchen altogether and go for free standing stuff - probably not much of it, I think our budget runs out before we get to the kitchen contents.

  5. #35
    TBlax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    616
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Always wanted to get into renovating, pity I know bugger-all about building.
    Sounds like a good build @Sunnyknight, well done! How the hell did you end up in IT?

  6. #36
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,401
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 114 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Er - but in this case he has to cut through the living room floor to make a staircase down into said basement, reinforce the roof which is acting as a patio outside the living room (house is on a steep slope) and dig out the floor a bit. Not that straightforward!
    Seeeee, seeeee, not enough details have lead me to drastic conclusions from the get-go. Seeeeeee. Staircase shouldn't be too hard to fit if it's a spiral. Reinforcing the roof will be by far THE most difficult thing to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Always wanted to get into renovating, pity I know bugger-all about building.
    Sounds like a good build @Sunnyknight, well done! How the hell did you end up in IT?
    Cheers bud, it looks cracking! Nice place to chill out with the lads, or lasses

    Never wanted to be in IT. Wanted to be a Fighter Pilot or as a fallback, in the Army then SAS squad / reserves. Fighter pilot denied because we're (UK) in debt, stupid country , and Army / SAS was denied due to family constraints. Was my last alternative as IT.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,010
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 181 Times in 169 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    I bet the homebase units were Burlington.

  8. #38


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,485
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 629 Times in 481 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Always wanted to get into renovating, pity I know bugger-all about building.
    Your half way to being a builder. All you need now is an inability to understand project dates.

  9. #39
    TBlax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    616
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Your half way to being a builder. All you need now is an inability to understand project dates.
    It took a moment for that to sink in.. in fairness we've never had any bad experiences yet *crosses fingers*, and admittedly my interest in wanting to buy a house to 'do-up' came from watching Homes Under The Hammer repeats when I was looking after a bed-bound relative for 3 months. I'd never know where to start but I've always loved the idea of doing something like that

  10. #40
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,401
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 114 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    It took a moment for that to sink in.. in fairness we've never had any bad experiences yet *crosses fingers*, and admittedly my interest in wanting to buy a house to 'do-up' came from watching Homes Under The Hammer repeats when I was looking after a bed-bound relative for 3 months. I'd never know where to start but I've always loved the idea of doing something like that
    Have 30,000 to hand if you want to do something like that. Just a heads up.

  11. #41
    TBlax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    616
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    I know, I'll never have the money for it Sunny just a dream

  12. #42
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,401
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 114 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    I know, I'll never have the money for it Sunny just a dream
    *Master OoOoOoOoOoOgway voice* You must...... believe.......

  13. #43


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,485
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 629 Times in 481 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    It took a moment for that to sink in.. in fairness we've never had any bad experiences yet *crosses fingers*, and admittedly my interest in wanting to buy a house to 'do-up' came from watching Homes Under The Hammer repeats when I was looking after a bed-bound relative for 3 months. I'd never know where to start but I've always loved the idea of doing something like that
    To be fair they are not all like that. Our current contractor started on time and is making good progress. He is very local though - perhaps that keeps him honest. Our last lot were terrible on dates (apart from payment dates!) but the quality of the work was reasonable. My biggest problem is with the plumber who fitted the boiler and underfloor heating system in the man cave. The system has started making a high pitched whine - which is not what you want while watching a film. Getting them to respond to email or messages is a huge pain - I guess they have our money now so are less inclined to care. I'm starting to document it all very carefully - I think a small claims action might be the only thing that will motivate them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. [OPEN] Improvement: Suggestion: Improve The Page Displayed When The Requested Page Cannot Be Found
    By DaveP in forum EduGeek.net Site Problems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th January 2013, 02:01 PM
  2. Setting up home wireless network with MAC and PC..?
    By tosca925 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st November 2011, 04:39 PM
  3. Settign up router for PC and MAC (Home Use)
    By tosca925 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th December 2008, 06:55 AM
  4. Accessing work from home.
    By eejit in forum Windows
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 1st June 2007, 01:47 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st October 2005, 02:55 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •