+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Home improvements in General; Originally Posted by NikChillin Was it a good quality kitchen? How many units? I have a galley kitchen too and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Was it a good quality kitchen? How many units? I have a galley kitchen too and I am thinking of doing it myself. Has anyone had any dealings with these guys?
    It was from Homebase, reasonable quality oak fronts fairly standard worktops. I can't remember offhand the exact number of units - I did the photo's for the house sale so I'll see if I can dig them out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    It was from Homebase, reasonable quality oak fronts fairly standard worktops. I can't remember offhand the exact number of units - I did the photo's for the house sale so I'll see if I can dig them out.
    I have solid Oak fronts but they are looking a little tired, the interiors and worktop are getting tatty so by the time I have changed them I might as well start again. I did get quotes from three companies, all independent but around 12 - 20K, without appliances.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Basement to a room shouldn't take (if he has the time off) more than a week bar electrics. Again, i agree with you and @Andrew_C with the piece of paper. Looks like the last of the chores.
    Er - but in this case he has to cut through the living room floor to make a staircase down into said basement, reinforce the roof which is acting as a patio outside the living room (house is on a steep slope) and dig out the floor a bit. Not that straightforward!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    I have solid Oak fronts but they are looking a little tired, the interiors and worktop are getting tatty so by the time I have changed them I might as well start again.
    Damn - send me that old tired wood!

I did get quotes from three companies, all independent but around 12 - 20K, without appliances.
    ISTR the quotes I got were much the same. The upside of that is hopefully quality, peace of mind and minimal disruption.

This time round, I'm looking to avoid a fitted kitchen altogether and go for free standing stuff - probably not much of it, I think our budget runs out before we get to the kitchen contents.

Thank Post
    Always wanted to get into renovating, pity I know bugger-all about building.
    Sounds like a good build @Sunnyknight, well done! How the hell did you end up in IT?

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Er - but in this case he has to cut through the living room floor to make a staircase down into said basement, reinforce the roof which is acting as a patio outside the living room (house is on a steep slope) and dig out the floor a bit. Not that straightforward!
    Seeeee, seeeee, not enough details have lead me to drastic conclusions from the get-go. Seeeeeee. Staircase shouldn't be too hard to fit if it's a spiral. Reinforcing the roof will be by far THE most difficult thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Sounds like a good build @Sunnyknight, well done! How the hell did you end up in IT?
    Cheers bud, it looks cracking! Nice place to chill out with the lads, or lasses

Never wanted to be in IT. Wanted to be a Fighter Pilot or as a fallback, in the Army then SAS squad / reserves. Fighter pilot denied because we're (UK) in debt, stupid country , and Army / SAS was denied due to family constraints. Was my last alternative as IT.

Thank Post
    I bet the homebase units were Burlington.

Thank Post
    Your half way to being a builder. All you need now is an inability to understand project dates.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Your half way to being a builder. All you need now is an inability to understand project dates.
    It took a moment for that to sink in.. in fairness we've never had any bad experiences yet *crosses fingers*, and admittedly my interest in wanting to buy a house to 'do-up' came from watching Homes Under The Hammer repeats when I was looking after a bed-bound relative for 3 months. I'd never know where to start but I've always loved the idea of doing something like that

Thank Post
    It took a moment for that to sink in.. in fairness we've never had any bad experiences yet *crosses fingers*, and admittedly my interest in wanting to buy a house to 'do-up' came from watching Homes Under The Hammer repeats when I was looking after a bed-bound relative for 3 months. I'd never know where to start but I've always loved the idea of doing something like that
    Have 30,000 to hand if you want to do something like that. Just a heads up.

Thank Post
    I know, I'll never have the money for it Sunny just a dream

Thank Post
    I know, I'll never have the money for it Sunny just a dream
    *Master OoOoOoOoOoOgway voice* You must...... believe.......

Thank Post
    To be fair they are not all like that. Our current contractor started on time and is making good progress. He is very local though - perhaps that keeps him honest. Our last lot were terrible on dates (apart from payment dates!) but the quality of the work was reasonable. My biggest problem is with the plumber who fitted the boiler and underfloor heating system in the man cave. The system has started making a high pitched whine - which is not what you want while watching a film. Getting them to respond to email or messages is a huge pain - I guess they have our money now so are less inclined to care. I'm starting to document it all very carefully - I think a small claims action might be the only thing that will motivate them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123