+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home improvements in General; All that experience using hammers on peoples kneecaps put to good use @ Sunnyknight !...

Thank Post
    All that experience using hammers on peoples kneecaps put to good use @Sunnyknight !

Thank Post
    @Sunnyknight. No only 1 is required. the load bearing wall is down the middle of the house and i only replaced half of it.
    £400 is a fraction of the cost of my total build cost, and considering I'd be asked to rip up my wooden floor and hack off my crisp white plaster to prove its sufficiently built it is a small price to pay. I opened it up as it was an ex council house and a little pokey in the kitchen.

Thank Post
    I'm wondering how many bodies you could hide in 4ft of concrete ?!

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    All that experience using hammers on peoples kneecaps put to good use @Sunnyknight !
    Always have a job to fall back on, or two! lol

Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    @Sunnyknight. No only 1 is required. the load bearing wall is down the middle of the house and i only replaced half of it.
    £400 is a fraction of the cost of my total build cost, and considering I'd be asked to rip up my wooden floor and hack off my crisp white plaster to prove its sufficiently built it is a small price to pay. I opened it up as it was an ex council house and a little pokey in the kitchen.
    Ah see, you didn't say that before :P Fair enough and i know what you mean about crisp white plaster. Wouldn't ever want to do that to mine either!

Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    I'm wondering how many bodies you could hide in 4ft of concrete ?!
    Who puts bodies in concrete? You burn the bodies, and the bones you grind and sprinkle into foundation.

Thank Post
    @Sunnyknight. i bow to your superior knowledge of body disposal.

I pulled the ceilings down as the ceiling was sagging. The original owner had removed two of the load bearing studs.

Thank Post
    Why Building Regs?

I worked in a surveyors' office many years ago. Some of the things I saw...

Thank Post
    I have this fun to look forward to this summer. Only a small amount of major work (bricking up an external door, moving another, one wall to remove, possibly a new wall & a couple of new internal doorways.) and then lots of renovation. Currently the list stands at new (as in nothing there at the moment) downstairs shower room/WC, refit upstairs bathroom, refit kitchen, lay new floors, decorating thoughout, re-do garden and if there is time/money open fireplace and reinstate chimney.

Looking to try and do a lot of it ourselves, with my gf's dad's help as foreman. Anyone any idea what the cost of a new kitchen should be? Out of interest we went to Homebase to get a rough quote and they came out to about £11.5k. One set of wide draws were £1500 almost. Ok supposedly it was a luxury kitchen (we didn't realise this when we picked it) but that surely can't be right!! Currently looking at Wickes kitchens.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I have this fun to look forward to this summer. Only a small amount of major work (bricking up an external door, moving another, one wall to remove, possibly a new wall & a couple of new internal doorways.) and then lots of renovation. Currently the list stands at new (as in nothing there at the moment) downstairs shower room/WC, refit upstairs bathroom, refit kitchen, lay new floors, decorating thoughout, re-do garden and if there is time/money open fireplace and reinstate chimney.

Looking to try and do a lot of it ourselves, with my gf's dad's help as foreman. Anyone any idea what the cost of a new kitchen should be? Out of interest we went to Homebase to get a rough quote and they came out to about £11.5k. One set of wide draws were £1500 almost. Ok supposedly it was a luxury kitchen (we didn't realise this when we picked it) but that surely can't be right!! Currently looking at Wickes kitchens.
    We'll do the brickwork for you if you want! For a price of course lol. Sounds like a brilliant project! We got our bathroom fitted for £500. The guy did it in one day, and it's the best work i've seen, no word of lie. We sourced the products of course, but still! 1 day!

£11.5k is stupid for a kitchen, unless you have a kitchen the size of a castle. Max you would / should need to pay is £6k. Source the parts yourself. Don't always buy direct from them, they add about a 30% on top of the RRP..... I'll try and find you some kitchens.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Anyone any idea what the cost of a new kitchen should be? Out of interest we went to Homebase to get a rough quote and they came out to about £11.5k. One set of wide draws were £1500 almost. Ok supposedly it was a luxury kitchen (we didn't realise this when we picked it) but that surely can't be right!! Currently looking at Wickes kitchens.
    I did an average sized galley kitchen in my old gaffe for ~£4.5K. I did all the work myself apart from some plastering and that didn't include appliances.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Have fun when you sell the house... Without planning or building regs, the lawyers will go into a tail-spin.
    The government have decided to help the building industry by letting homeowners build a single storey extension without PP, 6 meter for detached property and 4 meter for Semi/terraced, over the next three years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    £11.5k is stupid for a kitchen, unless you have a kitchen the size of a castle. Max you would / should need to pay is £6k. Source the parts yourself. Don't always buy direct from them, they add about a 30% on top of the RRP..... I'll try and find you some kitchens.
    Well that was what I thought, it isn't even a very big kitchen and only had about 5 units. That did have appliances in but they came to about £750 if that. We may still go to a local kitchen designer/installer but I think he will be the same if not more so it will be off the shelf Wickes and us fitting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    The government have decided to help the building industry ...
    Yep; but you still need to be very sure that your scheme fits within ALL the rules. You can ask the council for a bit of paper to conform that your project is "outside the scope of the planning regulations" or some-such wording.

Things that might trip up the unwary: Add a bedroom? This may increase the required off-street parking!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Major reconfiguration of walls is nothing big, lol.
    Depends what they are holding up. Even worse, it depends on the difference between what you think they are holding up and what they turned out to be holding up.
    Ceilings, what for?
    It's slightly less hassle to lower a ceiling 6 inches than to raise a roof by the same. We also have 200 year old lath and plaster which is held up by half a hundred layers of old wallpaper - it just needs replacing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    We also have 200 year old lath and plaster which is held up by half a hundred layers of old wallpaper - it just needs replacing.
    LOL!!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I did an average sized galley kitchen in my old gaffe for ~£4.5K. I did all the work myself apart from some plastering and that didn't include appliances.
    Was it a good quality kitchen? How many units? I have a galley kitchen too and I am thinking of doing it myself. Has anyone had any dealings with these guys?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast