+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Introduction and a little bit more..Interview related content! in General; Hello all, I'm new here (1st post!) and have been soaking up relevant information in preparation for a job vacancy ...

Thank Post

Introduction and a little bit more..Interview related content!

Hello all,

I'm new here (1st post!) and have been soaking up relevant information in preparation for a job vacancy I went for at a local school as an IT technician!

A bit of background. I'm 23 and up to now at least, have mainly worked in retail but I've had a keen interest in IT many years and have been dabbling with the insides of machines, building my own etc for a number of years. I'm (trying) to get out of retail, and I am currently studying toward the CompTIA A+ certificate, and will be starting N+ soon after completion. Outside of work life, I'm quite (playing it down a bit) into my cars, MTB and gaming. Glad to have found this forum, I'm sure I will be asking many questions in years to come should I get the job!..

Well, the good news is, I have been invited to an interview! The bad news is, it falls on a date where I am on holiday.. in a different country! - Has anyone had experience of this happening to them? I'd be interested to hear from an employers POV and finding out the best cause of action! It's a job I would sell my left arm for to be honest, but what are the chances! I should probably point out, its not a one-on-one interview, there will be a couple of us attending.

Also have a couple of questions in regards of what to expect from the interview, I've been told it will entail an 'ICT task' as well as various interviews with various members of staff etc.

Greets!
    Last edited by antisanta; 23rd June 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes, the interview for my original job fell on a day while i'd be in Spain. All I did was contact them, told them I wouldn't be in the country but that I was still very interested in the position. They were very accommodating - asked if i'd be prepared to attend an interview on an earlier date which I accepted. One thing led to another and I got the job!

I ought to point out that mine became a 1-on-1 interview as a result, but was more relaxed because of it.
    Last edited by Shielder; 23rd June 2013 at 10:37 PM.

Thank Post
    That's really good to hear! I've been a bit panicky of late running various scenarios over in my head about what the out come will be haha! I received the letter on Saturday so tomorrow is my first opportunity to contact them. Hoping they can reschedule, although I would still be attending regardless - yeah, it means a lot to me. Fingers crossed though.

Still interested to hear other peoples experiences.
    Last edited by antisanta; 23rd June 2013 at 11:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Hopefully they might be able to work something out for you.

A friend of mine when going for Grad job's used to deliberately be unavailable for interviews, Lol. Bit naughty but he worked on the premise that if they thought he was a strong candidate then they would try to be accommodating, reschedule for him and he believed it then meant he had a fighting chance.

Their might be some value in that but as it's a group thing it might be a bit more difficult?

Fingers crossed for you and good luck!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What have you got against my Dad

[/bad name based puns]

On topic, when I was lending a hand interviewing for a new caretaker earlier in the year, one candidate was due to be away on holiday on the interview date, so we brought him in a week earlier. In hindsight we should have stopped there, as none of the other five on the actual interview date were worth the time. So they may well allow you in earlier, and if you're the right candidate, they'll not count it against you.

Good luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Sorry to be a bit of a Jonah but I am afraid they may say "tough". I am a governor in a school and if this happens, and the person isn't mind-blowingly wonderful (although maybe you are..) then we just let it go.
    I hope not, of course

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    What have you got against my Dad

[/bad name based puns]
    As soon as I saw the name, I thought the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Sorry to be a bit of a Jonah but I am afraid they may say "tough". I am a governor in a school and if this happens, and the person isn't mind-blowingly wonderful (although maybe you are..) then we just let it go.
    I hope not, of course
    Unless there's a super desperate need for someone, you're being unnecessarily harsh.

People have lives outside of working and holidays are usually booked long in advance. Plus, cancelling a [expensive?] holiday for an 1-2 hour interview for a job you may not even get is ridiculous. [Actual time fram may vary. I have no idea how long my interview was.]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    As soon as I saw the name, I thought the exact same thing.
    It's so sweet of you to think of me

[/early morning homoeroticism]

[/off topic waffle]

[/abuse of fake markup tags]

Thank Post

Unless there's a super desperate need for someone, you're being unnecessarily harsh.

People have lives outside of working and holidays are usually booked long in advance. Plus, cancelling a [expensive?] holiday for an 1-2 hour interview for a job you may not even get is ridiculous. [Actual time fram may vary. I have no idea how long my interview was.]
    Yes, of course they do and "I" am not being harsh thank you very much - I am just saying what has happened in my experience. The school may have 5 or 6 candidates who already work in a school and so have lots of relevant experience - it is not logical for them them to hang on and change everything for the one candidate who can't make the set interview dates.

*surely AntiSanta is your dad's sister?
    Last edited by witch; 24th June 2013 at 09:17 AM.

10. Thanks to witch from:

sonofsanta (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "I" am not being harsh thank you very much
    I wasn't talking about you in particular. It was a general you.

The school may have 5 or 6 candidates who already work in a school and so have lots of relevant experience - it is not logical for them them to hang on and change everything for the one candidate who can't make the set interview dates.
    Which then results in hiring someone internally, then needing to go through it all again because they're STILL one staff member short.

Unless they combine the 2 roles, which I don't think they're allowed to do because it isn't the job they were advertising.

Double advertising costs, double the time for application reviewing and interviews... all because they couldn't wait a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    It's so sweet of you to think of me
    Sonofsanta is the kind of guy you can go out for a beer with... and make out a little with.

And it's totally not awkward the next day. He's that kind of guy. [Sort of quoting Pewdiepie, I can't remember the exact words. Just thought it's funny.]
    Last edited by X-13; 24th June 2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: I carnt speel gud

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by antisanta View Post
    Well, the good news is, I have been invited to an interview! The bad news is, it falls on a date where I am on holiday.. in a different country! - Has anyone had experience of this happening to them? I'd be interested to hear from an employers POV and finding out the best cause of action!
    All you can do is contact them and ask. Personally, I'd try to be accommodating if possible ... but it may not be.
    Also have a couple of questions in regards of what to expect from the interview, I've been told it will entail an 'ICT task' as well as various interviews with various members of staff etc.
    Depends on the job. I usually have a series of broken machines for Technicians to diagnose and fix and perhaps some software issues.

Welcome to the forum and Good luck with the job hunting.

13. Thanks to pcstru from:

antisanta (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I wasn't talking about you in particular. It was a general you.

Which then results in hiring someone internally, then needing to go through it all again because they're STILL one staff member short.

Unless they combine the 2 roles, which I don't think they're allowed to do because it isn't the job they were advertising.

Double advertising costs, double the time for application reviewing and interviews... all because they couldn't wait a bit.
    NO you nana, I mean they may have other external candidates who have worked in A school, not THAT school!! When I had my last interview there were 5 of us but only 2 had had school experience - if one of the other three had been unable to make the interview dates I doubt they would have given an alternative.

Thank Post
    Thank you for your responses! A mixed bag indeed!
    Well I'm on break in work, really nervous and I'm going to give them a call.
    My hope is that they can rearrange as it is a massive opportunity for me but also I paid a fair amount of cash for this holiday with the missus. Not only that, it would be an inconvenience having to tell her were no longer going
    Wish me luck! Will let you know how it pans out.

Thank Post
    Excellent news guys! They have rescheduled for me! I'm so relieved haha

Thank Post
    Glad to hear that they have rescheduled for you. Keep us posted!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information