+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Introduction and a little bit more..Interview related content! in General; Yeh it's in a couple of days now so need to get my head down and do some solid prep. ...

Thank Post
    Yeh it's in a couple of days now so need to get my head down and do some solid prep. Need to nail this.

Thank Post
    Don't worry about the ICT Task, it'll all be relevant to the job in question/skills they want; which you obviously have since you got an interview just remember to think outside the box, some people can be crafty buggers with the tasks

Best of luck, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Thank Post
    Here's a hint, if a cable looks plugged in, make sure if definitely is, on my ICT task they'd pulled the cables out enough to look plugged in without actually being connected. Cheeky bu**ers

Thank Post
    Yeah that's what I'm concerned about, missing the obvious things! I know I can do it, it's just I would probably be going into Event Viewer first or checking device manager/drivers before just checking if the NIC is even plugged in aha. Not a bad thing though! From reading posts on the forum related to IT technician interviews, I would presume they are going to be pretty basic issues with PC's, valuing interpersonal skills and eagerness to learn / drive over technical ability on its own.

I'm quite nervous but excited..
    Last edited by antisanta; 26th June 2013 at 02:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    I am SO pleased they rescheduled for you Good luck !

6. Thanks to witch from:

antisanta (26th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by antisanta View Post
    Yeah that's what I'm concerned about, missing the obvious things! I know I can do it, it's just I would probably be going into Event Viewer first or checking device manager/drivers before just checking if the NIC is even plugged in aha. Not a bad thing though!
    The key thing they should be looking for is a methodical approach to problem diagnosis and resolution. A practical test should form the basis of a discussion afterwards - so even if you don't get to the root of the problem, you might still be able to get that methodical approach across in the discussion.
    From reading posts on the forum related to IT technician interviews, I would presume they are going to be pretty basic issues with PC's, valuing interpersonal skills and eagerness to learn / drive over technical ability on its own.
    It varies. They should have a set of criteria and they will score you against each one. Some will be more important than others. Generally willingness and ability to learn should set you in good stead. Occasionally we need someone to "hit the ground running" - in which case the skills element might score higher.

Relax. Good luck.

Thank Post
    Thank you guys
    D-Day is looming! And I am work for 10 hours tomorrow so most of my prep will be done today. I'm hoping that using the person specification I can gauge the interview questions well enough. Interviews aren't my forte! Although any interviews for previous jobs haven't been for positions I am passionate about, this one though, is what I want to do, not just as a job but as a career. I hope my enthusiasm shines through and I go away to Majorca on Saturday with a good feeling my stomach .

Thank Post
    Thank you guys
    D-Day is looming! And I am work for 10 hours tomorrow so most of my prep will be done today. I'm hoping that using the person specification I can gauge the interview questions well enough. Interviews aren't my forte! Although any interviews for previous jobs haven't been for positions I am passionate about, this one though, is what I want to do, not just as a job but as a career. I hope my enthusiasm shines through and I go away to Majorca on Saturday with a good feeling my stomach .
    I was at the tender age of 17 when I got the job here (21 now), and here are some tips I would give you:

Be yourself
    Don't over-analyze potential questions/situations
    Take a common-sense approach to everything - Like others have said check cables are not plugged in before you go to event viewer
    Never assume anything - It could just be turned off at the plug
    Go prepared
    Look smart, well-groomed (don't go mad with aftershave)
    Firm handshake but don't turn their hand purple
    Don't be afraid to ask questions or if you don't understand a question ask them to explain what they mean
    Research the school - Do they have web-access to email, docs? Do they have a VLE? What's their website like? Relay this back in the interview, Eg - "I was on your website and I noticed that you use Moodle, is that something that you would be looking to expand on in the future"
    Last edited by BassTech; 26th June 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks mate! Some good pointers.
    On your last point, the job title includes Website/VLE Admin and they use Moodle. I've used the latter a bit in college but never the backend so I've took it upon myself to do some homework, also been playing with Joomla! so CMS isn't alien to me. When I went for an informal visit I asked about Cloud, the NM said they use it a bit - is this something schools as a whole are going to be using more of in the future? As a user at home, on mobile etc I love it and I can't see many obvious downsides.

Thank Post
    Thanks mate! Some good pointers.
    On your last point, the job title includes Website/VLE Admin and they use Moodle. I've used the latter a bit in college but never the backend so I've took it upon myself to do some homework, also been playing with Joomla! so CMS isn't alien to me. When I went for an informal visit I asked about Cloud, the NM said they use it a bit - is this something schools as a whole are going to be using more of in the future? As a user at home, on mobile etc I love it and I can't see many obvious downsides.
    Ok, that's good and Joomla! is a great thing to know IMO (our website is built off it)

With the cloud it depends on the school really, where I am we don't have a lot of budget for future developments. I personally think the cloud is just another buzzword, every 3-4 years some 'new' technology comes along and then 1000s of companies pop-up trying to flog it to you, when you don't really need it.
    I don't know of any schools that use the cloud to store all of their data off-site. The way forward really seems to be virtulization, with SANs - so I would look into this (Hyper-V + others). Also Microsoft Office 365 seems to be popular in schools as well now, because I believe the licensing costs are cheaper.
    Last edited by BassTech; 26th June 2013 at 04:42 PM.

Thank Post
    As others have said relax in the interview, but probably the biggest thing I can advise is don't be afraid to admit if you don't know somthing. No one is going to refuse you the job because you don't know a specific area, but they will if they find you are talking out of your backside. Be honest and if you don't know something either tell them how you find out how to solve that problem or ask if they have a person on site who could advise you on it. People are more interested in someone who can admit they don't know something BUT know how to find it out rather than a "know it all" who doesn't know as much as they say they do.

Thank Post
    Just got back from my ICT task, smashed it! I won't say what it was as the other applicants may be lurking and their task won't be until next Tuesday! Just awaiting a phone call now to tell me if I've gotten through to the final stage - the interview!

Thank Post
    D-DAY today!
    Regardless of the outcome I'll post what the interview and task consisted of so this thread can be of use in the future
    Wish me luck! The interview went well, or so I thought!

Thank Post
    If you are not lucky enough to be offered the job remember to ask for feedback so you can work on any weaknesses in your application....but on a brighter note, good luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Sorry to be a bit of a Jonah but I am afraid they may say "tough". I am a governor in a school and if this happens, and the person isn't mind-blowingly wonderful (although maybe you are..) then we just let it go.
    I hope not, of course
    Have to agree with Witch, one of my first tasks in my new job was dealing with Interviewing a new Technician. I had to look through all the CVs and interview each one, if some one wasn't able to turn up we would only allow another date if he/she looked very good.

You never know though, if you really do interest them they may allow another date.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information