+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How can I get refund on faulty laptop in General; Further to this faulty laptop thread, I was wondering how long we have to get a full refund/exchange on a ...

Thank Post

How can I get refund on faulty laptop

Further to this faulty laptop thread, I was wondering how long we have to get a full refund/exchange on a faulty laptop. This laptop is coming up to 6 months and I have read somewhere that should a fault arise within 6 months the seller must replace or refund the cost of the item. However I can't find something official to confirm this. I would like to be able to offer some advice about where they stand before going into the shop with the faulty laptop.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    As far as I know, the sale of goods act is fairly vague as to whether you can get a refund or a free repair. I would suggest after a couple of months they will offer the latter.
    I found this from the Which website:
    "But, the law only gives you a reasonable time to do this (get a refund or replacement) – what's reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is.
    However, even with major purchases or complex items, it’s safest to work on the basis you usually have no more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it."

3. Thanks to witch from:

penfold (22nd June 2013)

Thank Post
    I have read from the BBC one show - consumer rights. that the goods must be fit for purpose and that if elecrtrical good brake before 6 month then they are not fit for purpose.

Thank Post
    The reason i would like to know where you stand is due to the fact that if the laptop goes away for a repair it will more than likely be over 6 month when it comes back. Apparently if something is fault within 6 months it is for the seller to prove it wasn't faulty but after 6 months it is up the buyer to prove it is faulty. I have a little concern that as the laptop just "died" it could be a few things that are wrong which may not be repaired the first time.

Thank Post
    Actually, just found this "It is worth noting that when your laptop is being repaired you should not be significantly inconvenienced and depending on your circumstances you may be able to make a case for a loan laptop." from this consumer website. In this situation it would be fine to have a loan laptop as it is used for work which is why he doesn't want to be without a laptop while it is sent off for repair. I'll suggest this as it means he can carry on with his work (he has backups he can work from) until his laptop is replaced.

Still non the wiser on how long you have with faulty goods though

Thank Post
    If it was bought by a business and not by an individual then the sale of goods act doesn't hold in the same way. I don't think - they can vary it in their terms and conditions so this needs checking, I think

Thank Post
    It was bought by an individual but does freelance work which requires the laptop to be able to do the work.

Thank Post
    Should be OK re sale of goods act then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Further to this faulty laptop thread, I was wondering how long we have to get a full refund/exchange on a faulty laptop.
    Legally you don't have any right to a refund/exchange of the laptop once you've had it for a satisfactory length of time to inspect it and ensure it's as described (including up to quality standard). The law is vague on precisely how long it should take for this "inspection" period to take place but I'd suggest that "just shy of 6 months" isn't really going to cut it.

There are a number of things a seller can do under the sale of goods act to rectify a fault with an item, including refund the buyer's money or replacement of the faulty item. It is the seller's choice, not the buyer's as to which option they choose.

Sale of Goods Act - Which? Consumer Rights

There may of course be other conditions that the laptop was originally sold under which improve the buyer's right to a refund, or give them more say in the choice of how a fault is dealt with, but that depends on what terms the sale took place under.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If the fault is an inherent design or manufacturing fault, your rights are further extended.

I had a HP G6000 laptop with the Nvidia defect. It went faulty and I managed to get a new laptop as a replacement (from Staples), even though the laptop was over two years old.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 22nd June 2013 at 06:40 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information