+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Printing costs in General; 0.6p per pages covers ink and maintenance kits. Colour ink costs the same as black. There's no leasing involved, they're ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    0.6p per pages covers ink and maintenance kits. Colour ink costs the same as black. There's no leasing involved, they're bought outright, and the running costs compared to the next best thing (HP) pays for the printer (which is relatively expensive) within a year's usage. We've not really had to worry about ongoing maintenance as they look after themselves.
    I suppose it would be handy to get some costs together at some point for the managed services but I can imagine things would have to be even further controlled for them to become cost effective. Plus we don't particularly want to be hounded by some service suppliers currently! 10k to run the printers (paper isn't our problem!) for a school near identical to @RichB in size isn't much but so far we've survived. We're trying to make sure we're not going to hit trouble in the near future.

Rather hoping the troublesome Phaser is a one off and we can continue to use them but still it doesn't hurt to keep other options in mind. Only real problem is Xerox's warranty support is crap.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 20th June 2013 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have 850 pupils and 120 staff. Currently we budget £12,500 per year for toner and spend £18,000+. We also budget about £4000 for replacing printers each year. I've just sent out tender specs to four suppliers to see if a leased management solution would be better/cheaper for us.

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

synaesthesia (20th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @synaesthesia what volumes per device do you see? If we were up at 30K pages per device per year our running costs (excluding paper) would be similar.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depending on location, it would be between 30 and 40k.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It sounds very much like you are in the sweet spot. If your question was motivated by needing to select a new workhorse device, have you looked at the Kyocera FS 5350DN?
    Last edited by psydii; 20th June 2013 at 12:56 PM.

7. Thanks to psydii from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not as yet, no. We've got a few of their B&W lasers and have been quite happy with their support and the quality of the machines themselves. May well be worth looking at as a result, many thanks!

Thank Post
    We have 900 pupils and 130 staff I have managed to get my toner budget down to £5k pa and £1k on printers, just bought 5 HP X451's to replace more expensive LaserJets. Fast prints lower running costs and TCO.

10. Thanks to Disease from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    It sounds very much like you are in the sweet spot. If your question was motivated by needing to select a new workhorse device, have you looked at the Kyocera FS 5350DN?
    We have a pair of FS-C5350DN and the print quality is great, not sure on the costs but because it's on a managed print contract then the money for printing doesn't come out of ICT budget it comes out of "contracts" i think, either way it saves me some cash to buy other more useful things. The wastage though is unreal, people print loads of stuff and it ends up straight in the recycling bin because people don't collect their work. Papercut is great though, now i've watermarked everyones documents i can hand printing to people directly and tell them off at the same time for leaving it to go in the scrap bin

Thank Post
    We pay 0.3p on colour and 0.004 on mono and quarterly fees is about £500 for two Photocopiers

Thank Post
    Hi, I work with synaesthesia, our actual print costs for our busiest printer over the last 6 months work out at 2.5 pence per page, this includes the cost of the printer (/8 as 4 year minimum lifespan), and the maintenance kits, but not paper as this isn't my concern. Total cost over 6 months was £680 for nearly 25700 pages, this is for colour prints, including lots (and lots) of full page colour prints.

We had a quote a couple of years ago at about 6p per page for a managed deal, so I don't think we'll improve on what we've got. I'll let 'em carry on printing and when the money has gone, well, tough! :-)
    @supawat1 - those figures look ok, but the quarterly fees would be more than our total costs, even taking into account maintenance etc.

We have had only one of the phasers go wrong, and eventually! they replaced it with a new one. So, better the devil you know and all that.
    Last edited by tekins; 21st June 2013 at 03:36 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information