+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Your opinions please in General; Am I right to stamp my feet here, or am I cutting my nose off to spite my face? Our ...

Thank Post

Your opinions please

Am I right to stamp my feet here, or am I cutting my nose off to spite my face?

Our school has just taken delivery of 10 i-mate KJAM phones for some of the senior staff members. My boss, the NM, has one, and is busy attempting (and failing) to set it up.

Now, when it was originally discussed about implementing these things, it was said that we should both have one, because we're often not in the office, and amongst other things they'll be a mobile phone to get in touch with people. I'm currently using my own mobile to call people (at my own expense!) during the day.

Surprise surprise, I've not been given one, but my NM has, as has the Head's PA (who sits in her office ALL day), and the personnel officer (who is also in her office all day). I still have no mobile provided by the school......

So far, I have refused to get involved with the setup of these phones. I'm also considering refusing to support them. This will be most apparent when the NM's on his month-long holiday to India (yet I get baulked at for booking a week off in term time).

Should I get involved with the setup? Would you, or would you stick to your guns?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Your opinions please

Are you a telecoms engineer?

Thank Post

Not the last time I looked... no...

I know what'll happen though, something will go wrong whilst the NM's in India, and I'll be expected to drop everything and sort it.

I wouldn't mind, but I know that one of the SLT is planning on giving the phone to his wife!

Thank Post

Blimey, has someone got money to burn??????

Thank Post

It sounds to me like you have more issues than just the phones with your NM... Speaking as one myself, it doesn't sound like he's managing too well at all! The only way to resolve the problem is probably to get his/her undivided attention and raise your gripes in as psoitive a manner as possible - hopefully he'll listen and sort things out with you... Any NM's biggest asset is his staff (if they're lucky enough to have any!) - and he should know that...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Make sure you get the role added to your job description and a suitable pay rise to compensate. If they refuse don't support them. If they insist contact your union or walk.

I agree with Netman though, situation should hopefully not get that desperate. See if your Network Manager can mediate a compromise.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hmph! I agree with you IG!

I use my own mobile too - but I never make outgoing calls - I always get them to call me.

How about turning your mobile off and becoming unreachable? I think you've given them the excuse not to include you in the new setup. I'm sure they're very gratefull to you for saving them cash.

Set it up - drop lots of hints while doing so; don't use your mobile, then when NM is off....

metalmonkey

I would suggest leaving it until a problem occurs and you are called upon. When they say, "Can you have a look at this" simply say "sorry, i've no experience in its use because I don't have one and have not been trained". Keep it polite and professional. They can't do anything about it because you are doing the right thing.

I always find, and I'm not saying you would, but infuriating these situations by flat out refusing will cause more problems.

Hope this helps

Thank Post

Oh, I'm a professional (I've played the game before in big corporate organisations), so I wouldn't inflame anything, just quietly continue about my business until something happens and I'm unable to help them out.

If I do get involved, I will certainly use the knowledge as a payrise-bargaining tool... as politely as possible, of course.

My personal mobile is no longer in use for school.. that I do know :-D

Our school's just been removed from Special Measures, so yes, we do have money to burn apparently...

My NM is atrocious - I'd need a whole forum section to him, to give you guys an idea of what he's like.

As a starter:
    He changed the administrator password on the system when I was out for a funeral one day, didn't tell me, didn't change it on the backups, AV, nowhere else... then left me to tidy it all up

He often starts things and never finishes them - like an amendment to a staff's login - changed the email address and not the login, then this morning moaned at me for it not working!

He is on my side wrt these phones - he's said himself that I "should have one"... but hasn't really fought for me. As I type he's busy trying to set the damn things up to sync with our Exchange Server. Is he writing anything down that he's doing? Nope...

Thank Post

@indiegirl: Maybe they've bought you a better model (possibly a HP one) and it's simply taking longer to come into stick

If your network manager thinks that you should have one, why not buy one?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Alsways worth a try!

Thank Post

@Ric_ I wish!!!!

You mean for me to buy one? Like I have that kind of money...!!

These have already been paid for from our budget, and that's the reason why they couldn't stretch to another £200 for one for me

I'm just a bit... y'know, hacked off with it really!

Thank Post

hehe all sounds familiar....

I have got a new mobile [contact phone] and have had my old contact mobile [still active] off for the past 4 or so weeks....

Was just sick of the constant calls from staff members & SMTs - voice mail in particular. Leaving a message that I have to retreive which costs 50p a min in peak time - and when i started to get multiple messages in the same day, that was enough...

I have no problem with external ppl - like the county, suppliers & support/warranty companies calling as they all know not to leave messages, but it was getting stupid.

The biggie is that I dont even have a phone in my "office" so every time I need to call a supplier or a company etc, i have to go across the school looking for a phone thats free. This *hopefully* will be resolved when we get the VoIP system - most likely after Xmas - but its been a long time coming.

Hacked off is putting it lightly I'm sure

Cheers
    N.

Thank Post

You can't be expected to use your own personal mobile for work related business. Personally I never gave out my mobile number to anyone other than friends. I certainly never gave it to SMT. I did have to register my mobile number with the school office, "just in case", but in 7 years they never used it.

The cost of mobiles is reasonably low enough now that many schools do provide their technical support staff with them. But just remember that if you are expected to be 'on call', it should be reflected in your contract of employment and your salary.

-Kev

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

But then that's a whole 'other world' we can only dream of Kevin!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast