Poll: Should I be paid more?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Are you alone? in General; Hi, I have been working in my current job, Systems Manager for 8 years now. I work alone and have ...

Thank Post

Are you alone?

Hi,

I have been working in my current job, Systems Manager for 8 years now.

I work alone and have no assistants.

In my school we have 280 Client machines running XP and 5 Servers on 2K3, wiht a mixture of Exchange Server, Sharepoint, Joomla + Moodle.

With the exception of 2 Dell Servers and 100 laptops (which the hardware was already put together) I have built all the machines myself both software and hardware, I am fully responsible for all the network/phone infrastructure. I look after our website, video archives, IWBs (25 of) printers (20 of) digital cameras, CCTV, MIS, etc.

The school is a comprehensive 11-16 and has 560 students.

I am interested to find out how does this compare with some of you other guys out there?

Al the best,
    Dan.

Thank Post

Re: Are you alone?

Should you be paid more than what though?
    You could be already earning £30k and which case the answer is no
    Whats your salary?

Thank Post

Is enough ever enough

I'm dead happy with my job and pay. The poll was just a bit of fun though, I was just interested in the similarity of my job to others, seems like a lot of places around my way have 3 tech staff for similar workload!?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well you do only have 5 servers and 560 students...

We have about 750 students, 12 mixed windows/linux servers, almost 300 XP clients including laptops, 35 IWBs, 35 network printers, website, SIMS, AV; and there are two of us.

Thank Post

This also brings up an important issue in regards to those of you who do work by them selves.

I've linked the UNISON Lone Working leaflet for you to look at and make sure you are safe at work, and your employer is taking your safety seriously.

http://www.unison.org.uk/acrobat/10943.pdf

Sorry to hijack this a tad, but it's a big issue at our school at the moment.

I have a technician who works with me term time only. I'm still in by myself during holidays.

The site has 7 servers, including exchange about 400 PC's, 80 staff laptops, 55 IWB's & Projectors. The school also has 3 floating projectors. There are 10 main printers, 20 odd other networked and each member of staff has their own printer (well nearly). I also have to look after CCTV and seem to be communications support as well. Bromcom and Phoenix problems all come my way as well. Approx 900 pupils, who come from poor to middling backgrounds (I don't want that taken in a bad way, but I think we suffer more damage than the other two schools in the area.)

I enjoy my job most of the time. Apart from the odd ratty teacher who has me on his hitlist and I've lost the big red button in my office that installs all software instantly.

Thank Post

Ok bumlardy, to compare, we have:

1700 students
    800 PC's (about 60/40 desktops to laptops)
    8 servers
    60 IWB's

However we dont have Exchange, Sharepoint etc and we are only minimally responsible for SIMS. Phone system is handled by a seperate company

And we have 3 full time staff and 2 part time staff

So i would say you're probably doing too much work for 1 person
    But if you're happy with it then cool!

Thank Post

Well I work in a primary school and have no time to do anything ICT at the moment. My collegue and I teach all the ICT in the school.
    We have 2 ICT suites one containing 16 computers the other containing 15.
    Every classroom has a brand new desktop PC for the kids to use as a reward etc.
    Every classroom has a an IWB and projector, along with the ability to hook up the classroom desktop to it. (mainly the teachers laptops)
    Every teacher and teaching assistant has a laptop. (25 odd)
    We have a staffroom PC connected to the administration network (2 seperate networks in the admin + curriculum).

It's a total mess though (not to look at) but just general thing that I don't get to sort out and build up and build up as time goes on.
    I teach 16 lessons most weeks with the odd 17 lesson week every now and again, we have the beauty of covering most of the PPA in the school so if something goes drastically wrong we're then stuck paying back peoples PPA time.
    Yes it is a nightmare, and yes I am considering a move

Oh sorry forgot to mention I'm on 11K

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have 183 desktops/laptops, 6 Windows servers, 2 NAS boxes, 2 linux virtual servers and a phone server. We have ~30 IWB's, 7 networked printers, a custom built asterisk phone system with 40 extensions, a proximity card entry system (we print our own cards too), and 2 information screens around the school.

I will soon also be in control of video conferencing at our school (once we install the stuff!) and also at the 3 feeder schools which we will be VC'ing with - this will also include replacing their switches with managed ones.

And I'm on £17.5k and alone.

Thank Post

Just me responsible for our network:

850 pupils, 100 staff

300 clients, 11 servers, 50 odd laptops, anything else with a plug. Over the summer the buildings guy and I recabled the whole school, on top of all the usual administrative stuff.

At the mo' there's no Exhange (though its ready to go) and I've nothing to do with SIMS operation (just server maintenance and updates).

I'm leaving this week, but I'd be interested to know what they're paying you Dan cause thats one of the reasons why I'm off...

I'm on 18.5k

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information