+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, IT Departments Won't Exist In 5 Years in General; "Interns coming in for the summer are asked if they're familiar with Google Apps. They say, 'Of course we are,'" ...

Thank Post
    "Interns coming in for the summer are asked if they're familiar with Google Apps. They say, 'Of course we are,'" said Nathan McBride, vice president of IT & chief cloud architect at AMAG Pharmaceuticals. "
    -snip-
    McBride said 75 Fortune 100 companies now use Google Apps along with most Ivy League schools, meaning that the next generation of workers won't be users of Microsoft Exchange or Office.
    So tell me. Who at those Fortune 100 companies and Ivy League schools ensures that said apps can be downloaded? Who makes sure the information they send can 'get out' onto the web? Who blocks potentially malicious programs or documents software that is not compatible with the network? Christ, who built the damn network in the first place? I don't think it's just a phone line and a wireless router, do you?

Nah, I'm not worried by this article.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    who built the damn network in the first place? I don't think it's just a phone line and a wireless router, do you?

Nah, I'm not worried by this article.
    but thats part of the issue to most people it is they can manage their home computer fine (until they do something silly/it goes wrong) so why does work need these people give me full admin and ill do it myself. They dont see the backend stuff or care it just works

3. Thanks to sted from:

gmj (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm glad I was resoundly beaten to giving a hearty cry of "rubbish" to this.

As ever it is someone looking at what they do in their own little bubble and having no idea how it scales up. " [Technologists] will simply be the enabler"??!! You mean they will swoop in, dump popular system of the moment in and then swoop out leaving the fine detail to be worked out by the company, who no longer has any dedicated IT people as they followed the Technologists advice and fired them all. The company then flounders and drowns! I don't see anyone that calls them selves a technologist sticking around or making themselves available to answer the kinds of questions we do.

Thank Post
    That article is a load of dross. Typical americanized carp.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but thats part of the issue to most people it is they can manage their home computer fine (until they do something silly/it goes wrong) so why does work need these people give me full admin and ill do it myself. They dont see the backend stuff or care it just works
    Exactly. I say go for it. If the managers/etc agree, back everything up and go ahead. Give some user Domain Admin and let him run everything. Then laugh at 3 days worth of profit loss as you restore from backups and said user gets fired. Ah, if only it were so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    the company, who no longer has any dedicated IT people as they followed the Technologists advice and fired them all. The company then flounders and drowns! I don't see anyone that calls them selves a technologist sticking around or making themselves available to answer the kinds of questions we do.
    So basically Darwinism comes to the business sector

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So...

• Pay $some3rdParty to completely rip out existing infrastructure
    • Use a contractor to install and manage a new managed wifi system
    • Get your ISP to manage the comms cabinet
    • Ask someone like Xerox or Konica to manage all the printers/photocopiers - maybe web printing
    • Get any MIS supplier to manage your MIS "in the cloud"
    • Use GoogleApps for education
    • Use non domain joined laptops and tablets

At most you might need 1 lowly tech guy to change the odd printer cartridge and call whichever of the multitude of service contracts when things go wrong.

Good bye ICT department

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    That just looks an awful lot like outsourcing to me, which lots of companies did 10 years ago and have since reversed as in many cases it was expensive and terrible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    LOL, yes but now be have "THE CLOUD" (whooo) and "Table devices" so outsourcing can once again be expensive and terrible, which I think was the quoted article is advocating.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Read first para:

Consumerization of IT and self-service trends will lead to a restructuring of the today's IT shop, leaving behind a hybrid model consisting of tech consultants and integrators.
    Almost had a buzzword overdose and had to close tab.

Thank Post
    I’ve had recent experience with the ideas presented here.
    SLT brings on contractors with shiny new kit. IT doesn’t know about it until some of the decisions were made. We could have provide the same or better advice then the vendor, it we knew we had the budget for the new kit.
    SLT is sending a few teachers on a chrome book management course. I don’t need a course to manage a chrome book. Are they trying to cut us out of the picture?
    Who will manage the wireless, core infrastructure, routing, DNS, DHCP, AD, filtering, etc etc?
    Me, myself and I
    Someone will have to give them admin privileges in GAFE
    Not me

Thank Post
    The amount of buzz-word bull**** in that one paragraph almost sent me into an asshat-induced fit of rage.

I see what they are getting at but seldom will you find $institution saying that outsourcing has 100% worked for them...

Quote Originally Posted by basicchannel View Post
    Read first para:

Almost had a buzzword overdose and had to close tab.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12