+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, ICT Support Dept Roles and Responsibilities in General; Hmm... I'm not sure quite where this should go... but this seems as good as anywhere. The ICT management in ...
    Thank Post

ICT Support Dept Roles and Responsibilities

Hmm...

I'm not sure quite where this should go... but this seems as good as anywhere.

The ICT management in our school are due to leave, within the next year or so. The bursar has asked me to draw up a proposal to give to the SLT/SMT to assign the new roles and responsibilites for this "new" dept structure.

I'm currently the senior ICT tech, if I do this right I will become the ICT Manager (or whatever name I specify).

My impression is that they have asked me to produce this report/proposal because they have very little idea, of what we do all day... When they first asked me to do this, I thought, yay! write my own job description, and then I though, boo! write my own job description. I've been flicking through the FITS stuff, but I get the feeling, I need to properly sit down and read the whole damn lot.

So, what I am asking is, what the hell do I need to put in, and leave out ? I have some ideas, but I don't want to miss out anything important.
    It would be useful to know how other people organise themselves, whether officially or unofficially, and what the good/bad points are..

(Typical I get this, just at the same point I have a large OU essay to handin)

Cheers...

Thank Post

Re: ICT Support Dept Roles and Responsibilities

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...highlight=what

^^ might be a starting point although as a network manager I have budgetary responsibilities and essentially deputise for my business manager (bursar) when he's out of school/holidays.

Thank Post

One question would be why haven't they asked the existing ICT Management team to do this report? If it is to identify "new roles" then surely the SMT know what new roles they are considering for this new structure.

It is good that you are involved in so much as you know exactly what you do day in, day out. One thing to remember to do though is identify each individual role and appropriate responsibilities. Otherwise like many of us here, your job is IT Technician with actual responsibilities of the Network Manager.

Thank Post

That is a useful thing to check.... cheers.. dunno how I missed that when I was looking before.

I am currently emplyed as "Technician", but doing the job of "Network Manager".

What the Bursar has said is that they've asked me, as whilst the existing ICT controllers, have ideas of who should be doing what, they're both actually leaving their jobs.

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure of what they were actually asking me for, so I drew up plans for responsibilities, SLAs and new job descriptions, for the people that are staying, with lots of blurb from the FITS. We also needed a proces for change (urgh, that sounds like a government programme for), from the existing people to the new people...

They also seem to think they can go from 5 people to 3 people, without any loss of service... riiigghht.. (okay so 2 of them are part-timers).

Does anyone have user groups ? Where you meet up with the staff / students to discuss changes, etc ?

This is something that the Bursar is pushing for, the idea being because none of the techs who are staying are teachers, we won't have as much of a handle on techery type stuff.. like SIMS.. this may have been my fault, as I was trying to get out of supporting SIMS.

Thank Post

We have a user group, i have to say it doens't work as well as it should do. The people involved are people who have a responsibility for ict in the school rather than those who have an interest. We end up in meetings debating what we can and cant do and only have meetings when one of the group want an opportunity to use other teachers to push things .

What i prefer is finding all intrested parties and consulting them before a change. So for instance when we moved to office 2007 i consulted the IT department, some of the admin staff, the head and the bursar.

We dont involve pupils as they should esculate their feelings through staff, but again staff only pass these on if they want to be a hero to the pupils or if it suits them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread