+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, A Song of Ice & Fire / Game of Thrones Discussion - SO VERY MANY SPOILERS in General; Originally Posted by sonofsanta iSpy spacing.............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    iSpy spacing.............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. .............. ..............

From the other thread:

Not looking forward to the latter at all, because Charles Dance has been absolutely bloody incredible as Tywin Lannister, much better than the book incarnation, and I don't want him to die anyone who will sit and coldly tell Joffrey it is his bedtime in the middle of the day is a character I want hanging around still.

Plus Tyrion was always at his best when sparring with his father. As soon as he proves that no, Tywin Lannister does not poop gold, he just wanders off over the sea muttering about where whores go, and becomes incredibly boring. He takes himself out of the game, and he was the most entertaining player.
    Agree 100%. Charles Dance is BRILLIANT as Tywin the same way as Peter Dinklage is AMAZING as Tyrion. They are pretty much bang on to my 'mental pictures'. I do think that Tywins death is necessary though as it goes to show that Cersei is not as clever as she thinks she is. Everything starts to fall apart when Tywin and Tyrion aren't around to keep it all together and that shows that the strength of the Lannisters is NOT Cersei and Jaime as they like to think. Jaime has had his epiphany and is undergoing his own character shift and Cersei is trying to be Tywin and failing magnificently.

As much as the death of Tywin is a shame from the shows point of view, after Joffreys death, Tywin doesn't really have much of a role besides political manoevering but leaving him alive means that other storylines become too difficult to converge. If Tywin is alive, then other houses can't gain power without it seeming that Tywin has become weak and it casts doubt on the writing, but with him gone there is a massive power vacuum that Cersei attempts to fill with the high septon storyline but is proven not to be as good at the game as her father. Tyrion is a worthy contender as Tywins replacement so he NEEDED to be removed from Kings Landing in order to advance the fall of Cersei. I just hope that GRRM gets him back on track because he could be valuable to Daenerys and could be the difference between success and failure for her as for all her tactical acumen, politically she is a weak player and she needs the political mind of Tyrion to succeed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    iSpy spacing for spoilers ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ........... ...........

Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Agree 100%. Charles Dance is BRILLIANT as Tywin the same way as Peter Dinklage is AMAZING as Tyrion. They are pretty much bang on to my 'mental pictures'. I do think that Tywins death is necessary though as it goes to show that Cersei is not as clever as she thinks she is. Everything starts to fall apart when Tywin and Tyrion aren't around to keep it all together and that shows that the strength of the Lannisters is NOT Cersei and Jaime as they like to think. Jaime has had his epiphany and is undergoing his own character shift and Cersei is trying to be Tywin and failing magnificently.

As much as the death of Tywin is a shame from the shows point of view, after Joffreys death, Tywin doesn't really have much of a role besides political manoevering but leaving him alive means that other storylines become too difficult to converge. If Tywin is alive, then other houses can't gain power without it seeming that Tywin has become weak and it casts doubt on the writing, but with him gone there is a massive power vacuum that Cersei attempts to fill with the high septon storyline but is proven not to be as good at the game as her father. Tyrion is a worthy contender as Tywins replacement so he NEEDED to be removed from Kings Landing in order to advance the fall of Cersei. I just hope that GRRM gets him back on track because he could be valuable to Daenerys and could be the difference between success and failure for her as for all her tactical acumen, politically she is a weak player and she needs the political mind of Tyrion to succeed.
    I don't disagree that Tywin's death is necessary, but it is still going to be a sad day for me I do genuinely think the Lannisters are my favourite family of characters - I mean, they're all 'orrible, but Tywin is brilliantly ruthless, Tyrion is sardonic and sarcastic and hilarious, Jaime is the redemptive arc of the series, and seeing Cersei so incompetent with the power she has worked towards for so long - at such a high price - is delicious. What was Tywin's line this season? "I don't mistrust you because you're a woman, I mistrust you because you're not as clever as you think you are."

Thank Post
    Those of you wondering about Stannis might be interested in this preview chapter GRRM has put out from The Winds Of Winter: GRRM - Wild Cards Sample If you thought a little bit of snow and ice could kill Stannis Baratheon, you were sadly mistaken.

Also there's another one from Arianne Martell: Excerpt from the Winds of Winter | George R.R. Martin I've not had a chance to read this one yet though.

There are two more books left in the series after TWOW right? He better start tying stuff up pretty quick!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought there was two left including TWoW? (not two after). Although I think he said something along the lines of "when TWoW manuscript totals over 1800 pages, it may get split in two".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    There are two more books left in the series after TWOW right? He better start tying stuff up pretty quick!
    There should be seven books total - The Winds of Winter next, and A Dream of Spring to end on.

Fantasy series have a way of outgrowing their authors plans, mind - Wheel of Time was only supposed to be a trilogy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Those of you wondering about Stannis might be interested in this preview chapter GRRM has put out from The Winds Of Winter: GRRM - Wild Cards Sample If you thought a little bit of snow and ice could kill Stannis Baratheon, you were sadly mistaken.

Also there's another one from Arianne Martell: Excerpt from the Winds of Winter | George R.R. Martin I've not had a chance to read this one yet though.

Considering that Stannis apparently has the fire lord / lord of light on his side I'd be surprised if a bit of Snow was detrimental.

Regarding Cersei, I love how clearly her machinations and fall from grace are highlighted in the books. It is so easy to recognise what is happening. I knew things were going belly up when she started diddling with the kingsguard and got the Kettleblacks involved. I knew she couldn't handle that level of manoeuvring.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Considering that Stannis apparently has the fire lord / lord of light on his side I'd be surprised if a bit of Snow was detrimental.

Regarding Cersei, I love how clearly her machinations and fall from grace are highlighted in the books. It is so easy to recognise what is happening. I knew things were going belly up when she started diddling with the kingsguard and got the Kettleblacks involved. I knew she couldn't handle that level of manoeuvring.
    Random iSpy avoiding preface blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda SPOILERS

Cersi's fall from grace was one of the best moments in the book, from the moment she realises she has 'lost' Joffrey to the dealings with the septon and the kingsguard, priceless

I hope he brings Tyrion back in some regard as a useful and entertaining character. I think i had the feeling we would end up doing something meaningful for Daenerys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12