+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Mortgage Question in General; Hey all, Just been looking around at options etc and was wondering about mortgages. This may seem a stupid question ...

Thank Post

Mortgage Question

Hey all,

Just been looking around at options etc and was wondering about mortgages. This may seem a stupid question for those of you with mortgages already, but do you guys apply before you make an offer on a house? eg. Find out if the bank will lend the amount you want to do.

Or after you've made an offer that's been accepted, so they bank knows exactly that is what you're spending and where it's going etc?

Also when it's talking in regards to monthly commitments, will that be as of now, or as if you bought the house? e.g. If you want house insurance etc does that count as a commitment even though you don't have it currently?

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Generally it's after, as the mortgage company will want to do a survey to ensure the property is worth the amount being paid for it (and to sting you for another few hundred pounds :-)

3. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

Steve21 (16th June 2013)

Thank Post
    First question I think you go through an estate agents or mortgage advisor etc , you show em what properties and see how much they ( banks etc ) will lend you as far as a mortgage and you go from there with ref to making an offer once you know that they will lend you Y amount

Not sure ref the other questions but will be in the same boat soon ie in a year or two

5. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Steve21 (16th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    Generally it's after, as the mortgage company will want to do a survey to ensure the property is worth the amount being paid for it (and to sting you for another few hundred pounds :-)
    So if you made an offer that was accepted, then a bank refuses a high enough mortgage it's just tough, or find another that will? Craziness I hear! (Or as you said extra monies)

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    First question I think you go through an estate agents or mortgage advisor etc , you show em what properties and see how much they ( banks etc ) will lend you as far as a mortgage and you go from there with ref to making an offer once you know that they will lend you Y amount

Not sure ref the other questions but will be in the same boat soon ie in a year or two
    That's what I always assumed, but seems a lot of the estate agents are always asking about mortgages before even showing a property which got me thinking.

And as usual banks being as helpful as always won't give an easy answer without booking appointments and going through paperwork etc

Seems a bit of a piggy in the middle situation, both want stuff you don't have before giving you what the other wants!

Steve

Thank Post
    Talk to some mortgage lenders up front. That way you will know what sort of price region to be looking in. Or, talk to a broker. They know the market, and may well save you money, or time*, over doing all the legwork yourself.

* The broker that I'm using now, knew for instance that Scabby National were quick (and accept some documents scanned by email), and only a fraction of a % more than other, cheaper lenders who insist on snail-mail all the way.

9. 2 Thanks to Andrew_C:

mac_shinobi (16th June 2013), Steve21 (16th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Speak to your bank or whoever you think you'll be taking the mortgage with and they will be able to tell you how much they will lend you, often is x amount times your salary or yours + partners salary with x amount deposit.

That way you basically have a mortgage offer from your lender and you can then put an offer in.

Ben

11. Thanks to plexer from:

Steve21 (16th June 2013)

Thank Post
    When looking for a house late last year I spoke to someone at London & Country and they were able to give us an idea of how much we could borrow.

Once we had this info we were able to look at houses within our affordable range and eventually make an offer. Once the offer was accepted I went onto a few mortgage comparison sites and picked the best one for us and spoke to London & Country again to see if they could sort out the mortgage for us. However, the deal I found on the comparison site was not only cheaper but was only available if we applied directly to the building society which in our case was the Nottingham Building Society.

So I rang the Nottingham BS and they gave us an agreement in principle pretty quickly and then the following day I went through the whole application on the phone with them. A few days later I sent them some documents they requested and then about two weeks later we received a letter saying that the mortgage was approved. Really easy!

13. Thanks to bodminman from:

Steve21 (16th June 2013)

XiJ

Thank Post
    Defo get some advice from a good broker or at least a lender upfront (is you main bank). Otherwise how do you know how much you can borrow and therefore offer?

Most places will give you an 'mortgage on principal' which states that all things being equal (valuation ok, searches, survey good) they will lend you the money. The sellers/estate agents will likely want to know you have this so you're not wasting their time.

I know a very good IFA in South Yorkshire - he was good with is getting the right company to lend in our situation (which the time was me starting new job and wife on maternity leave).

15. Thanks to XiJ from:

Steve21 (16th June 2013)

Thank Post
    You could do with looking at mortgage deals and getting an agreement in principle.

Useful explanation here:
    Getting a Mortgage | Mortgage in Principle

17. Thanks to jcollings from:

Steve21 (16th June 2013)

XiJ

Thank Post
    In fact why not move to a lovely terrace on South Yorkshire? Did I mention my house is for sale and has excellent motorway links within 2 miles?

19. Thanks to XiJ from:

Steve21 (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    I agree. Go and see the lender(s) you are interested in and get an agreement in principle... that means that they are prepared to lend to you.

Whether they are prepared to lend for a particular property is another question that will only be answered after you have made the offer.

21. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Steve21 (16th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys Seems best to book a few appointments and see how it goes!

Will have to see my main bank, few competitors and see if there's some decent brokers nearby.

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Just been through my first house purchase and it can be a little bit intimidating if you’re going in completely bling , my advice would be to find a decent mortgage advisor would be to pay a little extra if needed and get good solicitor / conveyancer. We went with the Halifax and the mortgage advisor was brilliant and they offered us a good interest rate for the loan to value we were looking at and paid our stamp duty along with some cash back on completion. The Halifax panel conveyancing firm we used I didn’t rate much though, fixed cost which is great for budgeting but little more than a call center and very slow considering.

Most of the lenders have mortgage calculators online now so have a look at these and see what comes out with what you have saved before going in branch.

Most mortgage advisors / financal advisors will also push life insurance, income protection and home insurance, dont be bullied into the first two and be sure to shop around especially for the home insurance.

24. Thanks to Tallwood_6 from:

Steve21 (17th June 2013)

XiJ

Thank Post
    It is good practice to have life assurance Though - even a decreasing term one so the mortgage gets paid off. Shouldn't cost too much

I think building Insurance was compulsory for us with our mortgage - at least that what the bank told us - but contents optional.

26. Thanks to XiJ from:

Steve21 (17th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast