+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
General Chat Thread, Mortgage Question in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Removals as in paying a company to help you move from pne property to another or as in leasing a long wheel base van and moving ya own stuff or what exactly ?
    That was a cost we paid for a removal company.

You could hire a long wheel base van for the day for around £50 + the fuel and get a few mates to help!

2. Thanks to bodminman from:

mac_shinobi (1st July 2013)

Thank Post
    OK, back to my real world example.

We were going to pay for a "Proper Removal Company" to come and pack (at least the fragile stuff), and do the move. Prices around £1200-1500. Due to the delays, we had to take who we could get. Top local company on Yel said they could help, but while waiting their second 7.5T truck got a firm commitment. They sent us 5 blokes, 1x7.5* and 2x3.5** tonne vans and worked bloody hard from 9-5 to move us 500m. We packed everything (I never want to see a cardboard box again!)

£950 inc VAT - Note; We are in our 50s, with a life-time of stuff and there are 3 kids living at home, and my daughter has lots of stuff here in "storage".

*Managements books.
    ** Managements clothes in one, the rest of our stuff in the other.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 1st July 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: More info.

4. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Thank Post
    Here we go. SWBO is in bed before she kills someone, the "someones" are in bed too). I'm supposed to be making an escape route for the cats so they don't have to come and go via the bedroom windows at 3 in the morning.

Lawyers:-

Selling a £192k house; answering enquiries (questions that the buyers sols raise. Like who maintains which fence) sorting deeds, preparing contract. Discharging the old mortgage and dealing with Land Registry changes and LR fees. Sundry minor expenses and VAT on the lot. £730

Buying a £250k house;
    Raising enquiries etc etc. preparation of Stamp Duty Tax Return, and the rest of the gumph above. £882.

Fees paid out (and recovered from us) Search Bundle £222, Land Charge Search Fee £2, HM Land Registry Search Fees £3, Stamp Duty £2470, Land Registry fees £270.

Grand Total paid in the whole shebang £3849

6. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Countrywide for example have 1 solicitor per team of X call handlers working on X amount of cases at any given time.
    My solicitor has lets say 5 cases and 3 secretarial staff.

Any local high street solicitor "should" handle your case a million times better than the likes of countrywide. Ask your EA for their recommendation, obviously ignore those who are on commision to push their own.

Use the web - Compare Conveyancers in Your Area | moneysupermarket.com
    Urgent - Any recommended online conveyancers? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
    Conveyancing Solicitors | Find Property Solicitors in the UK

And remember your paying them to do a job, if you are not happy with the service fire them and pick another!
    I think you'll find that most solicitor firms will operate just like Countrywide - they certainly did when I used to write conveyancing systems - the bulk of house buying and selling is simple admin duties and is done mostly in a "call centre" type stylee - and frankly you can do it yourself as long as there are no big complications. The lawyers will only occasionally become involved, but will buy a lot of insurance, just in case they cock it up!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I think you'll find that most solicitor firms will operate just like Countrywide - they certainly did when I used to write conveyancing systems - the bulk of house buying and selling is simple admin duties and is done mostly in a "call centre" type stylee - and frankly you can do it yourself as long as there are no big complications. The lawyers will only occasionally become involved, but will buy a lot of insurance, just in case they cock it up!
    I doubt it, 10 day turnaround for letters etc. When I needed an earlier move date after the vendors delayed by 12 weeks my solicitor was worth every penny. I also did all my business face to face with him. In the same time Countrywide were faffing sending my Mom and Dad questionnaire about the effect the HS2 rail link would have on the proposed purchasers of their property! (The house is in the middle of Birmingham for those who are confused).

Personally, I would choose a small, family run solicitor and pay a bit more; even more so lately as you really do get what you pay for.

As for doing it yourself, I agree you can and I would have a stab at it myself but moving is stressful enough as it is, I would rather someone else do it for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Personally, I would choose a small, family run solicitor and pay a bit more; even more so lately as you really do get what you pay for.
    It's not universally true, even in conveyancing. Unfortunately picking a service is like rolling a dice. Paying over the odds can be just like sticking your hand up and volunteering to be the mark.

I've used licensed conveyancers twice and a solicitors twice. There was no discernible difference in service - other than price. I've heard horror stories about both. A solicitor friend used to tell me stories about how firms would jerk customers around and of course, they would always blame the other parties no matter what.

Our last experience was a LC and we didn't particularly rate them yet our old neighbours thought they were the Dogs B's. SWMBO sold her house via a solicitor and paid twice as much as she could have and there was no real difference in service.

Thank Post
    Just got the legal fees bill for our move. £1300 all in, fees and searches.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Just got the legal fees bill for our move. £1300 all in, fees and searches.
    Are you selling as well as purchasing?

Thank Post
    No just purchasing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some of you are really lucky with the costs for your stuff!

Lawyers here for the buying of a house is crazy expensive, and pretty much double the price when selling as well!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567