+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, How do you cope with stress?! in General; I studied sport along with computing, so it was a natural thing for me to be a keen sportsman outside ...
    Thank Post

Re: How do you cope with stress?!

I studied sport along with computing, so it was a natural thing for me to be a keen sportsman outside work, but to anyone who doesn't use this method I recommend it so much! Not only do you have an instant relief afte the exercise but the energy you build up throughout the week just makes Fridays (and the weekend) like an orgasm

Just doign anything really, I recently bought some weights, do a few bicep curls, situps, lunges and a jog afterwards is just so motivating.

Hope you guys de-stress soon, nothing worse in life.

Thank Post

I think you need to remember that you can say no. I have been employed as a technician but am doing the job a NM. My contract has still to be changed to recognise this and this has now being going on 9 months and still does not look likely to be changed. My response is now, if your not recognising what i do, I'm not going to bust a gut to do anything and everything that is thrown my way. I'm not really stressed, just frustrated that schools dont acknowledge the jobs that IT professional do in schools.

If it was an organisation there would be times when the workload increased that temp staff are taken on. It doesn't seem the case in schools, who also dont recognise that the job continually grows year after year. At the end of the day your health is more important than any job. Check out your contract again and see which jobs are deemed important and drop any others to the lowest priority. If you are still unable to cope due to the amount of work that needs to be done, it’s up to SMT to address this issue, not you to work longer.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    I come in most morning nervous about what's going to fail on me this time, who I'm going to be arguing with because they won't follow procedures I have in place to keep most things running smoothly etc. Butterflies on the way to work every morning. I can feel the adrenaline in my arms all the time.
    Thats pretty bad, at this point I would be thinking one of two things.

1. The Environment is bad. Some schools are like this and its time to move.

2. I need to make some changes in how things work around here.

I have found that the best way to get management on side is to make them realise how little they know and how much I know. Simple BOFH stuff.

Once they fear that the problem might be that they are stupid and that they ought to be listening to you then it gets easier. I practice this lots. In all the schools I have worked in. Make the problems look tough but the solutions easy, because you are the alpha geek.

If your system is failing, your network flagging. Start making noise about the quality of the hardware. Always have a get out clause and always make it known that if a problem is down to faulty code / hardware that you are the tech guy, not the multi billion company whos job it is to produce sub par software that needs patching just to get it to work badly.

Vista* is poo, not my problem go see Bill Gates. However I will do my best to kudge the thing into working. (*change as needs be.)

Sorry if this sounds trite, but IT is 10% what you know, 50% what you can find out and google and 40% attitude when dealing with the lusers that do their best to thwart the good running of your network.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    I come in most morning nervous about what's going to fail on me this time, who I'm going to be arguing with because they won't follow procedures I have in place to keep most things running smoothly etc. Butterflies on the way to work every morning. I can feel the adrenaline in my arms all the time.
    Thats pretty bad, at this point I would be thinking one of two things.

1. The Environment is bad. Some schools are like this and its time to move.

2. I need to make some changes in how things work around here.

I have found that the best way to get management on side is to make them realise how little they know and how much I know. Simple BOFH stuff.

Once they fear that the problem might be that they are stupid and that they ought to be listening to you then it gets easier. I practice this lots. In all the schools I have worked in. Make the problems look tough but the solutions easy, because you are the alpha geek.

If your system is failing, your network flagging. Start making noise about the quality of the hardware. Always have a get out clause and always make it known that if a problem is down to faulty code / hardware that you are the tech guy, not the multi billion company whos job it is to produce sub par software that needs patching just to get it to work badly.

Vista* is poo, not my problem go see Bill Gates. However I will do my best to kudge the thing into working. (*change as needs be.)

Sorry if this sounds trite, but IT is 10% what you know, 50% what you can find out and google and 40% attitude when dealing with the lusers that do their best to thwart the good running of your network.
    All sound advice & that's the way I do things too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Amen to that !!

That should be printed on a T-shirt somewhere or made into the site's motto.

Thank Post

Will this do?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Indeed, I'm knowledgable and experienced enough to generally predict the mess Staff are about to get into. I usually warn them a week beforehand, then get to say I told you so after the fact. I aim for the double whammy in extreme cases and point it out when they are in front of kids. They hate that.

richard

Well I came in from work last night from a bad day at work and almost ripped her head off, I was that stressed out

To me now the education sector is a lost cause so today I applied for 3 jobs 2 of which are not in IT at all.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

I used to come home, fire up GTA3 on my PC and pretend the people I was running over/shooting/hitting with a baseball bat were the people at work who were causing me the most grief......

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    I used to come home, fire up GTA3 on my PC and pretend the people I was running over/shooting/hitting with a baseball bat were the people at work who were causing me the most grief......
    Just to combine the exercise with "kill!" thing... 10 pin bowling...

I mean, how many times has imagining your "Favourite" antagoniser as the kingpin resulted in a strike... I lost count

Thank Post

I used to get stressed about the job and not being able to do everything that was needed, staying back each night, working at home, not stopping to eat, etc. but then one day decided OK that's enough. I do what is needed, do more when its needed, but will not work myself into the ground anymore. The network is running smoothly at the minute, money is OK, people respect me (though same can't be said about the technician here) and I'm happy. I find being respectful to the staff and pupils gets you further than being a loser with them, but being tough when it's needed is also important. The ability to say NO and sticking to your guns is an essential part of any job.

Having a supportive wife and boss who can put up with moody days, and working out my stress in some of the ways others on here have mentioned, (gaming, excerise and so on) means I'm much calmer and don't worry about coming into work anymore.

To Halfmad and others in his situation - if you have a boss who will support you and any changes you need to make to do your job effectively - use them, get them to air your greivances, get them to make others listen. If you haven't got this support I'd look elsewhere for a job, making it clear why you are looking, as it's not likely to get any easier for you and it's not worth near killing yourself for.
    Last edited by jojen; 1st June 2008 at 10:53 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345