+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How do you cope with stress?! in General; I also do a lot of boxing, gym, running, and my fav sport at the moment is kite surfing. When ...

Thank Post

Re: How do you cope with stress?!

I also do a lot of boxing, gym, running, and my fav sport at the moment is kite surfing.

When im not doing any of thouse you will find my walking in the west yorkshire coutryside with my girlfriend, trying to follow the AA pub walk guide book

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts

I just remember that it is only a job and that there are only 24 hours in a day.

Family comes first and school second.

Informing the staff of events in advance seems to work as they then know that you are busy and re-inforcing the ICT support policy that if it isn't reported using the ICT support portal then it takes a back seat to everything else.

Just having a look on here and reading all the rants and raves releases tension.

Last but not least enjoy and try to have a laugh even if it is at yourself.

Thank Post

Try this, guys ...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

I used to lock myself in the server room and cry whilst burning pictures of various members of staff and kids and swigging on a bottle of whiskey.

Well....no. Just did what everyone else does and think "There's more to life." Then I remembered that I was only a student and I wasn't contractually obliged to do anything . Muah ha ha ha ha.

richard

Stress at work over the last few months has driven me to the point of leaving education and possibly IT entirely. Things are getting a bit better at the moment as I now have a new girlfriend who is wonderful and is helping me find ways to deal with it.

Thank Post

In all honesty I'm struggling at the moment, doctor is trying to persuade me that taking some time off would be a good idea but I'm against going off on stress related grounds. He can of course force me if he wants to but as yet has resisted doing so. I'd be bored at home if I'm honest, first week would be fine but 4-6 weeks? I'd be crawling up the walls.

I'm on my own, 400 clients, 5 servers, 35-40 projectors and a heap of other responsibilities that range from creating/managing the websites to setting up projectors for assemblies and even making up word templates for staff to use.. I also manage our budgets and have running arguments with SMT about what we should be buying.

Some days I love the job, but at the moment and for the past couple of months it's just been hellish. Staff have unrealistic expectations and although I'm managing them as best I can at the moment I've actually started not caring - which is a really bad sign as I take a great deal of pride in my work.

My daily commute is now anything up to 3 hours, generally around 2 though thanks to motorway roadworks etc. I personally don't think that's helping much at all as I have to start work at 7:30 on days that we have assemblies which means being out of bed before 6am.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Itz bin sed on another thread how stressful IT Support can be as a profession. Thing is we're all here usually because itz wot we luv to do and we're dedicated to doing it, being highly motivated to constantly push our knowledge forward. Otherwise, lets face it, schools would be truly stuffed and be paying thru the nose for what we do. It can get stressful in a school, if you're one of the lucky ones who's still unaffected, then you're lucky or new. Hopefully it'll stay that way for ya!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

HalfMad - that sounds like a nightmare and its not doing your health any good - do you also have a family 'cos if so I would take time off and possibly consider other options.

Thank Post

I'm looking for a new job nearer home, I'd love not to have to drive every day!

I've asked for a technician and our Bursar is furious that it's been turned down without any consultation. Even a part time tech would help a huge amount and most importantly actually improve the quality of work - not just the quantity.

Sadly Mattx it's all about money, they don't want to spend it on IT people when they can get in another person to scribe for dyslexic kids or another teaching assistant. They really need to get priorities straight.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Well just don't do yourself in Haldmad - at least by the sounds of it your Bursar is on your side.
    I hardly see my Bursar - I would say I see the assistant Bursar more, about twice a year if I'm lucky !!
    Its very odd where I am - and after a few years I still can't get used to it !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would speak to your union rep if I were you, and arrange a meeting with your manager and them and outline the problems. It is not reasonable to expect a single person to handle that workload - I am starting to struggle with my workload and it is half the clients you have (by struggle, I mean people aren't being dealt with in a reasonable time).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

WoW!, i didnt expect this much responce! Thanks guys, your replys mean alot!

I think the main point of this is just managing my time alot better! Any tips on that?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley
    Glad to see that the response and you sharing your fears has helped.

I think the main point of this is just managing my time alot better! Any tips on that?
    Seeing as you're the only one manning the fort, I feel you'll be at the mercy of any "emergency" which may arise. You can be getting on with something relatively important, but if the mail server goes down etc. Prioritise and try not to feel guilty about having to drop work to fix a bigger leak. Explain to people that you'll try to get things done in a certain time, but with just the one of you, you may well be taken away from the task in hand to do soemthing else.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

implement this: http://becta.org.uk/fits/

Thank Post

i find the best way to deal with stress is to laugh at people, when the idiot teacher rants they've lost work tell them all about your backup plan and how it works and how hes actually a complete tool for losing it!.

and if it gets too much, dont fight it, give in, go on holiday, hand in your notice!. Fighting it is a losing battle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast