+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, UK Honey Bee population down 33.8% :( in General; I don't know how many of you have seen this: BBC News - Honey bee losses double in a year ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

UK Honey Bee population down 33.8% :(

I don't know how many of you have seen this: BBC News - Honey bee losses double in a year due to poor winter but it is quite worrying news.
    Basically, due to the bad winter UK hives and colonies have been hit hard, and note the figures quoted in the article do not include bumble, solitary and other 'wild' bee types.
    In our garden we are aghast at the lack of bees, especially given that we are awash with flowers this year, although the 3 masonry bees nests made in our new bee house last year all hatched successfully this spring and have, so far, been replaced with 5 new larvae nests. I'll post pictures once I get a chance.
    So, if you get a bee trapped inside your house this year, please do your best to try and get it back outside without hurting it, we need all the bees we can get!

Thank Post
    I remember hearing an interesting conspiracy theory a few years ago about bee's going to disappear after 2012. strange...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravo View Post
    I remember hearing an interesting conspiracy theory a few years ago about bee's going to disappear after 2012. strange...
    wasnt that dr who?

Thank Post
    Noo, I know there was an episode on Dr Who but I heard this probably around 2006 time, I'll try find it on google

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    We had a swarm the other day which was collected by a local bee keeper.

Ben

Thank Post
    "Disappearing Bees

All around the world, bees - particularly honeybees - seem to be disappearing. Beekeepers noticed it first, but ordinary people are now waking up to the fact that there are fewer bees around. What's going on? What started out as an internet conspiracy is now beginning to leak out into the mainstream media, with scientific phrases such as "Colony Collapse Disorder" being used. Some people blame a new virus or pesticide, while others suggest that radiation from mobile phones is interfering with bees' navigation systems. Much of our agriculture is based on pollination undertaken by bees, so the implications of bee disappearance is massive, with governments now spending millions of pounds on research. The bee disappearance mystery has been referenced on shows such as Doctor Who."

And if you haven't got a busy day... Missing Honey Bees: What's going on?

Thank Post
    We have bees on site managed by one of the teachers who is obviously, a beekeeper; he's moving to Qatar this year and has apparently sold them already. Would have loved to have given beekeeping a crack but I can't imagine the work involved.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    So, if you get a bee trapped inside your house this year, please do your best to try and get it back outside without hurting it, we need all the bees we can get!
    We have a lot of masonry bees, I guess because of the poor state of the pointing and mortar. Re-pointing is on my list of things to do this year so is there anything I can do to mitigate entombing a load of bees?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    We have bees on site managed by one of the teachers who is obviously, a beekeeper; he's moving to Qatar this year and has apparently sold them already. Would have loved to have given beekeeping a crack but I can't imagine the work involved.
    For a single hive or even a few from what I've read during the season i.e spring/summer it's a few hours a week work and during the winter practically nothing to do.

We have a great garden here and a community education working who looks after it all with groups of students and young ones from the local sure start centre, cob pizza oven too and soon an outside classroom bee's have been mentioned in the past.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When we repointed ours we had a colony by the kitchen door. Did no harm to us as we left them sugar water so they liked us. We eventually got a beekeeper to migrate their nest about 3 miles from us (the adage beuling you can move bees either 3 ft or 3 miles). My daughter loved all of the "Barry the Bensons" but it got too much having visiters afraid to go into the garden. Look up local beekeepers who should be able to remove them for you.

11. Thanks to nephilim from:

pcstru (13th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I don't put any work into my hive. just built them a box and largely leave them to it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    We have a lot of masonry bees, I guess because of the poor state of the pointing and mortar. Re-pointing is on my list of things to do this year so is there anything I can do to mitigate entombing a load of bees?
    Well, from what I can gather they only use the holes in masonry to lay their eggs. Once laid they seal up the entrance with mud (see pic to get an idea).

UK Honey Bee population down 33.8% :(-product_1157.jpg

As long as you leave these be (no pun intended) they will be fine and hatch out next spring. Once they do emerge you can fill in the holes (quickly mind!) before they use them for nesting again. Then buy a bee nest kit for them.
    Oh, and I should add they they do no damage to your house and are harmless
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 13th June 2013 at 11:04 AM.

14. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

pcstru (13th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Lost one colony over the winter - but it was quite weak but what amazed me was one week they were doing fine, and then the next week they were all dead.

On checking, they did not move to the stores so starved.
    Have managed to produce one new queen this year so have replaced my lost colony. One of my others will need splitting soon so will again try and increase. I have some honey already but will leave for June gap although because of bad winter, the June gap may not be so long.

Thank Post
    When i was a kid i once collected about 100 bees in a jam jar, pulling off their wings before hand.
    When my dad came home from work one day he asked what I was doing and I told him I was collecting insects. He said they wont last long if I don't put holes in the jar lid to allow them to breath. As I unscrewed the lid he asked what insects I was collecting, the cap came off just as I said bees.

He still tells this story and still remembers the fear running back to his car as hes allergic to bee stings.

I will never forget him saying, voice trembling, why I had removed the wings over and over with disbelief.

I actually like animals and don't remember why i did it but i have never had any fear of animals and im told have a gift with them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Not sure I'd like a gift that means I pull the wings off living creatures. I realise you were a child but that is an awful thing to as you condemned them to a slow and lonely death

18. 5 Thanks to witch:

ButterflyMoon (13th June 2013), JJonas (13th June 2013), Netman (13th June 2013), Sunnyknight (13th June 2013), Tech1 (14th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast