+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Telewest in General; My local area has become a Telewest cabled area, and as such their reps have been crawling all over the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Telewest

My local area has become a Telewest cabled area, and as such their reps have been crawling all over the place promising the Earth. What we have been tpld is that for £28.50pm we would get:

2Mb (going to be upgraded to 10 Mb for free in the near future) Unlimited broadband
    Free weekend and evening calls
    Basic Sky package.

This to me sounds OK and affordable, as I currently pay this amount for BT line rental and a 2Mb Tiscali ADSL account. Does anyone else have this tarrif, or does it soiund too good to be true? The salesman sounds 'dodgy' and nothing on their web site even comes close to this, in fact, the only offer which does is only for 3 months then goes up to £34pm after that! Any experience of them would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Telewest

Sky is better for TV. Especially if your interesting in timeshifting a la Sky+

Phone is fine. There's better deals around but its ok.

Broadband kicks ADSL's bottom. They are also in the process of upgrading everyone on 2mb and 4mb to 10mb for free.

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...bbs_evenfaster

Thank Post

I could not see them offering you a sky package. I would understand if they offer you telewest tv. I think aswell that you will start on 1 then go to 4. I am paying 30 a month for my 2mg line which has recently gone to 10 mg. If you look at it this way they would lose about 25 pound a month by giving you that option. Maybe u be better to get the offer in writing.

Ross

Thank Post

i have this telewest package (although my broadband line is still only at 512K - it's supposedly going to be upped to 2Mb free of charge). The TV is OK but it's amazing how little there is on - despite the number of channels!

Service has been OK but I'm not impressed with the speed of the line compared to the 512K ADSL line at my other residence.

I tend not to use the phone.

Thank Post

I have the same package as well, I am waiting for my area to be upgraded for the 10mb package. I currently have 2mb and will be upgraded to 10mb free of charge. They recently came round and upgraded my modem because th eone i had would not be able to handle the 10mb speed.

I also have mu phone and basic tv package with them. i have found their service over the last 6 years to be good and have not had much trouble at all.

Think the internnet has only been down twice in 6 years and that was for a couple of hours only.

But as wee speek they are having hughe problems with their pop3 email service, its been up and down for 2 days now.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Sky is better for TV. Especially if your interesting in timeshifting a la Sky+

Phone is fine. There's better deals around but its ok.

Broadband kicks ADSL's bottom. They are also in the process of upgrading everyone on 2mb and 4mb to 10mb for free.

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...bbs_evenfaster
    Teleport TV? ive got it here (no 10mbit currently, still waiting) and its cool. Also next year, telewest are introducing a 160GB PVR with 3 tuners and HDTV... i have 2mbit, talk eveing and weekeds and the top tv package, csts me about 60 a month

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It would be cooler if there was more than 5 channels supported.

Thank Post

The salespeople will just be on a special mission with special introductory prices - as long as your happy with the final price I'd go with it.

I've been with Telewest for 9 years and the service I've received has been fine.

I am contemplating switching back to using the old BT line because the competition between companies for ADSL business/telephone packages seems to give cheaper prices a lot of the time and ADSL speeds seem good enough nowadays.

I currently pay £25/month for < 2MB and £10 line rental and £15 to get "free" non-mobile calls which doesn't seem good value nowadays.

The promise to upgrade the speed for free is good but it's just a promise at the moment.

I'm sure when I try to desert I'll be offered a better deal :-)

regards

Thank Post

Sky only have 5 HD channels too at the moment, its too "new" (yes i know the USA have had it for god knows how long but yet again its the whole big UK catch up crap we have) so its going to be "wait wait wait" as usual, and see who launches what channels and when. TBH, i dont think ill be getting the PVR for a while, but i wouldnt mind running my projector @ 1080i...

Thank Post

I have 4mb Broadband from telewest and Sky digital, best of both worlds!

Would never swap cable for ADSL no matter what deal they offer

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    My local area has become a Telewest cabled area, and as such their reps have been crawling all over the place promising the Earth. What we have been tpld is that for £28.50pm we would get:

2Mb (going to be upgraded to 10 Mb for free in the near future) Unlimited broadband
    Free weekend and evening calls
    Basic Sky package.
    Well the NTL cable certainly isn't unlimited (and aren't they more or less the same concern nowadays?) - its a 30G/month cap. Says Spuff sulkily after being dropped to 512k from 2Mb for exceeding it (well - whats 164Gb between friends???)

Thank Post

Something else I forgot to mention - my ADSL line is 512K/256K where as the cable line is 512K/128K. That upstream speed difference is VERY noticeable when working on web sites!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

2mb/4mb cable is 384k upstream. 10mb is rumored to be 512k upstream but I can't verify that personally.

Thank Post

Just been told that our upgrade to 10mb in our area will be in January...............:-) :-)

Thank Post

Been with them for about 8 years with no real problems on the TV and Telephone side.

Been upgraded to 10MB but to be honest I cant really tell the difference from the 4MB.

Apart from the problems they are having with the emails at the moment, my connection does tend to spike even during quiet hours, eg when gaming my ping can jump from 25 to 600+ and back over a period of seconds or even minutes. (Awaiting call back from engineers )

Other than that they have been great. The helpdesk, although does take a little time to answer sometimes is very knowledgable and helpful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information