+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The new GCSE - mass unemployement for School IT Staff? in General; Since there is no controlled assessment anymore, exams are replacing almost all coursework, and remain handwritten... why spend any money ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The new GCSE - mass unemployement for School IT Staff?

Since there is no controlled assessment anymore, exams are replacing almost all coursework, and remain handwritten... why spend any money at all on technology. Just throw a few Raspberry PI's at the brighter students and that's our job done.

Seriously though, the work of every single person I know is more like coursework than it is a 2hr Public Examinations. The only people who do anything like examinations are Doctors, Lawyers taking their, erm, Exams before they gain their professional qualification. Everything else looks like coursework, or burger flipping.

And on the matter of eliminating modules/retakes... it would be much more revealing to allow them, but the final grade should include the number of times the module was taken.

Meh. I need to stop now, before I wander off into an incoherent rant. #toolate.

Thank Post
    It works both ways. I know of a school that gives graded work from students to year 11s who then produce work to the same standard. I have also seen two 'teaching assistants' practically do the coursework for them with students not even interested in passing exams getting a respectable result.

If you know a subject then surely you can pass a rest on the subject.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt it would lead to unemployment here. The work we do for the ICT department is a very small proportion.

Thank Post
    i don't particularly care how exams/coursework are given, as long as the student does all the work and only the top 5% get the top grade. The idea that a student who gets 100% in an exam, and one who gets 70% both get an A is insulting, and doesn't give Universities/employers anything to differentiate these students. The failure of the exam system in recent years is the reason more and more universities are setting entrance exams. My daughter is studying for her PHD and supports in tutorials. She says students enter University now unable to think for themselves.

Thank Post
    What about support for administration?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Give me 15K for training, and I'd eliminate every single support request from the 'admin' team in the last 12 months... except for queries that required 3rd party support - which didn't actually require local tech intervention anyway.

If there is no coursework or controlled assessment, a substantial chunk of the justification for having IT outside of the ICT teaching rooms is gone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Give me 15K for training, and I'd eliminate every single support request from the 'admin' team in the last 12 months... except for queries that required 3rd party support - which didn't actually require local tech intervention anyway.

If there is no coursework or controlled assessment, a substantial chunk of the justification for having IT outside of the ICT teaching rooms is gone.
    Probably true. But could you train them to deal with every single tech issue they'll come across? Who's going to make sure the network is running. No matter how good your network is it'll still need some management to keep it running.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's another 15K. Shove the rest into the cloud.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Not sure what the problem is here. Computers are, or certainly should be these days, far more than electronic typewriters for producing coursework.

10. Thanks to Roberto from:

elsiegee40 (11th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I doubt it will make a huge difference. I would expect computers continue to be used in subjects such as Art, Photography, Media Studies, & Technology, plus many students use the Internet for research and run subject specific applications right across the curriculum.

I would imagine student printing costs might go down.

Thank Post
    But who would clean the projector filters, replace lamps?, fix the printers when they jam, manage the internet filter and firewall, backup the servers, install and configure new telephone lines (VoIP), replace faulty switches, maintain all the staff laptops, IT Suite machines and Admin stations? To name but a few tasks IT Staff do in schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    i don't particularly care how exams/coursework are given, as long as the student does all the work and only the top 5% get the top grade. The idea that a student who gets 100% in an exam, and one who gets 70% both get an A is insulting, and doesn't give Universities/employers anything to differentiate these students. The failure of the exam system in recent years is the reason more and more universities are setting entrance exams. My daughter is studying for her PHD and supports in tutorials. She says students enter University now unable to think for themselves.
    maybe grading itself is part of the problem give them a percentage instead (where appropriate granted this is probably easy for maths/science damned hard for english/history that are more essay absed and subjective)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Filters 500 per year.
    Printers: Just taken a quick look in the help desk 2 reported jams this year. Well maintained (service contract/new) printers and that isn't a problem. The entire print fleet costs less than the cost of a tech for one year.
    Manage the internet filter. This is under change control.. an dead easy, so the SLT who signs of the change could just as easiliy make it.

Backup the servers: Cloud. Finance and Data Manager have ultimate responsibility to look after their data. (We just do a better job)

New telephone lines: just as easily premisies/managed service.

Replace faulty switches: Managed service.

Maintain staff laptops: BYOD - not our problem.

IT Suite etc: Lock'em down, and hand them over to a managed service.

Cheaper than running a local team.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "Mass Unemployment for School IT Staff"

Do you read the Daily Mail?

16. 3 Thanks to synaesthesia:

Bompalompalomp (12th June 2013), Modey (12th June 2013), NikiL (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    "Mass Unemployment for School IT Staff" ?

Oh, I wish.

Every morning I wake up hoping the Redundancy Fairy has been to visit.

18. Thanks to Earthling from:

NikiL (12th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast