+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, The new GCSE - mass unemployement for School IT Staff? in General; We will still be needed to support the new army of 'coders' that the Prime Minister wants schools to produce ...

Thank Post
    We will still be needed to support the new army of 'coders' that the Prime Minister wants schools to produce

PM Cameron calls for modern, programmable computers! (We think) ? The Register

Thank Post
    I've sent my two tech's home since reading this news. Have also turned off our servers, seriously struggling with something to do now!

Where's that knitting pattern gone ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I doubt it would lead to unemployment here. The work we do for the ICT department is a very small proportion.
    +1

Every room here has interactive whiteboards, registers are all done on PCs, we have CCTV, biometric cashless catering/printing and a ton of software for other departments not just for ICT. We also have a netbook scheme where all year 7s and 8s have a netbook and they access several free pieces of software including a few purchased. They also use the VLE/SLG and a few other facilities on wireless/internet which then 95% of them can access at home (because only about 5% don't have internet access at home).

I my self have been down to design and technology this week sorting out their out dated PCs, Media (DT, Music and few other depts.) have about 7 classrooms with several PCs in them. I can honestly say ICT has only been about 10% max of all our weekly work load.

IT it self is pushed for every department.

This school also went through a phase of having out sourced IT and it just simply didn't work well and too costly for the support they were getting. So I don't currently see our jobs under threat for now, I my self am newly employed and so is our techy (team of 3).
    Last edited by mthomas08; 12th June 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mass unemployment is a bit of an over reaction and managed services haven't exactly has a great press of late.
    No I think we are safe for now (until Micheal Gove reintroduces the stone tablet and chisel into schools).

Thank Post
    They'll still need someone to:

Glue the tablets back together when the kids break em
    Order new chisels and sharpen them when they lose them.

and we can assume that in that situation Apple will produce a tablet (sorry!) which will not be compatable with the standard chisels and will require extra support.

6. Thanks to Linfit from:

sparkeh (13th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a straw man arguement.

Those saying what about the technology in classrooms, or student laptops are missing my point... which is there is little justification in the expense once you have removed the support these tools give for creating superb coursework. 'prepared for the workplace' is not measured by the exam system or ofsted. Therefore (I argue) the justification for the expense is weak. Value for Money.

Art, Photography, Media, Technology - these are not subjects that matter in the new system, why invest in them?

And as for the managed service sales pitch vs reality, you may be inclined cast aspersions , but I may only quote Urquhart.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post

Those saying what about the technology in classrooms, or student laptops are missing my point... which is there is little justification in the expense once you have removed the support these tools give for creating superb coursework. 'prepared for the workplace' is not measured by the exam system or ofsted. Therefore (I argue) the justification for the expense is weak. Value for Money.

Art, Photography, Media, Technology - these are not subjects that matter in the new system, why invest in them?

And as for the managed service sales pitch vs reality, you may be inclined cast aspersions , but I may only quote Urquhart.
    Oh, please. Less of the melodrama.

We were already doing ourselves out of a job. Instead of, 10 years ago, needing one tech per 30 machines, you now need one for 500. Remote management, remote this, more efficient the other, automated that - makes it all far more efficient but needs fewer boots on the ground. That's progress, that's how it's been since the first ape-man carved the first silicon chip in 14 million BC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Um.. without wishing to get caught up in semantics, actually your statement is the straw man here: "No more controlled assessment" -> "Mass unemployment" = Straw Man

10. Thanks to sparkeh from:

psydii (13th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12