+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Alternative music player in General; So after 8 long, happy years my 5th Gen iPod has finally decided to pass away it had a hard ...
    Thank Post

Alternative music player

So after 8 long, happy years my 5th Gen iPod has finally decided to pass away it had a hard last few months with a fully cracked+bleeding screen but it still did its job, I guess I was the cause of death in the end! *guilt*

Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement now, but not sure where to look/what's best to buy. Ideally I want something I can listen to when trying to nod off, through the car stereo and out and about on walks or cycling. Also importantly, something that's easy to use/store music on to.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 11th June 2013 at 01:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm a big fan of the Sansa Clip
    Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player by SanDisk

They're totally open; you don't need any management software - you can drag and drop to and from the player. It works with Windows, Mac and Linux with no problems.

Also, if you like, you can change the firmware for more features.
    Rockbox - Free Music Player Firmware

And the 'clip' function (a real clip to hook onto your sleeve or collar) is excellent.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 11th June 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Another iPod classic?

I love my iPod and to be honest, if it died, I'd replace it with another.

Do you have a smart phone? If you have unlimited data, you could try Google music. It's free to use with up to 20,000 tracks and saves spending on a new device.

How much music do you have to load onto it?
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th June 2013 at 01:24 PM.

Thank Post
    I tried to move to a sansa fuse+ after I thought my ipod 5th was on it's way out. it was unusable without rockbox and not particularly brilliant with it.

Then it stopped working. I've gone back to my ipod (it's still just about ok) and will probably get another when it really is dead, despite how crap iTunes is.

Thank Post
    Phone, shirley!?

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    S4 with unlimited across the board on Tmobile, Google music with nice headphones = bobs yer cookie.

Thank Post
    Repairing the older iPods isn't too hard, just need some little tools to pop the casing off. From there, you can replace the screen, HDD, battery etc. Did this with a dead iPod Classic 120GB, stuck a 32GB CF card in it. Needed iTunes to reflash the firmware onto it, now I just use Winamp to manage it. Much quicker in use, and better battery life too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Phone, shirley!?
    I don't think so... and please don't call him Shirley.

9. Thanks to Rawns from:

Disaster (11th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I personally like having a second 'cheaper' device for music (old ipod), something I can chuck in the car or leave in my workshop dock. I could not do that with my phone.

Thank Post
    ^ That's where I'm coming from. I've never used my phone for music, I like to keep that seperate and it's never done me harm (though I appreciate everybody's suggestions ) - I was also looking at moving away from phone contracts and back to PAYG so I don't think the data thing would work well with that

Was looking at getting another iPod Classic @Rawns but not sure if buying a 'new' Classic is worth the money, and if I'm wanting to buy one second hand I might be better off trying to repair the current one I guess..
    @3s-gtech Are these parts easy to get? I'll have to look into doing that.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Thank Post
    I advocate repairing, I broke mine a few years back and bought another broken one on ebay and combined the parts

Thank Post
    If you want something that actually sounds good, get the Sansa Clip. Also, the original Samsung Galaxy S with the Voodoo mod installed is outstanding.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    ^ That's where I'm coming from. I've never used my phone for music, I like to keep that seperate and it's never done me harm (though I appreciate everybody's suggestions ) - I was also looking at moving away from phone contracts and back to PAYG so I don't think the data thing would work well with that

Was looking at getting another iPod Classic @Rawns but not sure if buying a 'new' Classic is worth the money, and if I'm wanting to buy one second hand I might be better off trying to repair the current one I guess..
    @3s-gtech Are these parts easy to get? I'll have to look into doing that.

Thanks for all the suggestions
    You could try Google Music along side your external music source (once you get a new one/repair your old one). It's free so you loose nothing from trying it and can see if mobile music works for you or not. Once less device to carryaround.

As for data and PAYG, GiffGaff, £12 p/m - 250 mins, unlimited txts and unlimited data and no contract either. However I think that discussion is for another thread...

Thank Post
    "Take that filth out of this thread!" I hear you say - I'll see how Google Music goes. I was using Spotify but when I was falsely told that buying Premium would let me play on other devices (my iPad) and turned out it had to be Spotify 'Pro' I was bitter at it. Will see if GM is any better

In my defense, though, I have a BlackBerry Bold (I know, I want to shoot myself.) so you can see why I've not been keen to try music on a mobile

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    I personally like having a second 'cheaper' device for music (old iPod), something I can chuck in the car or leave in my workshop dock. I could not do that with my phone.
    I agree with this. While Google Music works a treat walking into work, going on a run with with running apps, etc etc, I have an iPod alarm clock and a nice Bose iPod dock in the front room, plus the iPod is grand in the car (got a little FM Transmitter for it) when in low signal areas. It's nice having both though. Once I've added my music to my NAS, Google Music uploads it straight away while I sync it to my iPod.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast