+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Are MI5 and the NSA eavesdropping on us all? in General; Originally Posted by dwhyte85 Get a VPN with Ecatel or Voxility that will make it very difficult to find what ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    Get a VPN with Ecatel or Voxility that will make it very difficult to find what you do as they are pretty awkward to deal with, but bear in mind with google indexing as much as it can it's not hard to match a nickname to a person when they leave trails. Tor is going to become more and more watched, I2P and Tor have exit nodes with the point of logging to catch less than savoury people... which I personally agree with. I argue... unless you've got something to hide, what's the big deal what's to say ISPs haven't been monitoring already and passing this information on freely, social networking sites roll over at the first sign of the law.

Be good, use the Internet for legal purposes and all is well. :-)
    Why hello there mr dwhyte85. how are you today. I see you were shopping at the Sainsburys in Berkshire today. How were those steaks you bought? Did you enjoy them with the red or the white? Did the cake go well with it or are you saving that for your sisters engagment party which I heard on the phone is happening next weekend. Also, I see you drove to Wales last weekend. It was a strange route you took, you could have shaved 30 miles off the journey if you hadnt taken that detour to the Little Chef.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I see you were shopping at the Sainsburys in Berkshire today.
    Sounds like a market somebody needs to penetrate a little more... :P

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood this morning! =]
    Last edited by Ephelyon; 9th June 2013 at 12:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea where Berkshire is. I'll ask my Big Brother which was the exact store. Actually, Ill just send you over the CCTV footage of the checkout.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Sounds like a market somebody needs to penetrate a little more... :P

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood this morning! =]

Thank Post
    Yes - Sunday silliness is A Good Thing™! =]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Why hello there mr dwhyte85. how are you today. I see you were shopping at the Sainsburys in Berkshire today. How were those steaks you bought? Did you enjoy them with the red or the white? Did the cake go well with it or are you saving that for your sisters engagment party which I heard on the phone is happening next weekend. Also, I see you drove to Wales last weekend. It was a strange route you took, you could have shaved 30 miles off the journey if you hadnt taken that detour to the Little Chef.
    It is true if you pay on card, they will know that... They could pinpoint movements, that with all the cctv we have...

They aren't going to care too much, infact I am certain they couldn't care about my eating habits... If it saves any kind of incident from ever happening it is a good thing.

I get the big brother side of it, but what do you have to worry about? But yea quick get tor blah blah, it won't stop your card use, phone use or cctv movements... Embrace big brother.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some insight into some of this tracking stuff. An analyst gave an interview with a paper a few years back, and he indicated that eating habits are in fact useful to minute. For example, many anarchist types don't use things like loyalty cards, or credit cards. However, they do have a habit of buying the same sort of things when they shop, which they do on a predictable and regular schedule. Things like hummous being bought indicate the kind of person you are, etc... Not sure if the specifics of it would be relevant now, as eating habits as a whole have changed over the last decade but the concept is still there.

People might not think this sort of bulk tracking is a problem now, but what about if the government decides to ban something you do, or if your habits match those of an incriminating pattern? Suddenly, you're being analysed without any legal reason simply because someone decided your behaviour matches some perceived threat pattern.

Such large scale information gathering also has the problem of information overload. Things could be missed simply because there's so much data.

Thank Post
    Welll.....the security services are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    The alleged [still sub judice] perpetrators in Woolwich were known to the security services, as were the alleged Boston bombers: the media are complaining that they weren't followed, traced, eavesdropped enough. Then on the other hand we have the worries in this thread.
    And another thought - does it matter to anyone at all that I was in aforementioned Sainsbury's? Who is interested apart from Sainsbury's, who might be able to use the information to provide more goods that I might want?
    I've lived in a country where it was unwise to make political comments, particularly anti-Government ones, and it didn't need electronic surveillance for the police to be unpleasant: they knew who they wanted to stitch up, and just went ahead and did it. I'm not at all convinced electronic surveillance is a practical threat to the law-abiding citizen, though it might well be to the more careless criminal.

Thank Post
    If you think of how many internet connections there are and how many of us there is, they would not be able to analyse all of the information, they might put it through some sort of system and try to spot something, it was still wrong of them to do it without public knowledge, but we all want to be safe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketlane View Post
    Welll.....the security services are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    The alleged [still sub judice] perpetrators in Woolwich were known to the security services, as were the alleged Boston bombers: the media are complaining that they weren't followed, traced, eavesdropped enough. Then on the other hand we have the worries in this thread.
    Again, people are annoyed that the intelligence community didn't track these individuals properly, and prevent their crimes. This would have been targeted intelligence work, not a drag net.

And another thought - does it matter to anyone at all that I was in aforementioned Sainsbury's? Who is interested apart from Sainsbury's, who might be able to use the information to provide more goods that I might want?
    Its one piece of the puzzle - if you allow large scale data gathering here, what else will they justify in the name of 'keeping us safe'. Something which in reality they appear to fail at on a regular basis.

I've lived in a country where it was unwise to make political comments, particularly anti-Government ones, and it didn't need electronic surveillance for the police to be unpleasant: they knew who they wanted to stitch up, and just went ahead and did it. I'm not at all convinced electronic surveillance is a practical threat to the law-abiding citizen, though it might well be to the more careless criminal.
    I know of examples where people have been tracked simply because they have been a part of a protest group. No illegal activity, they've simply protested outside stores that engage in animal abuse of some form or other. I know that this information has then been twisted into lies and attempts made to prosecute them for things they didn't do - in one case the judge in a case threw the case out as he said the case was preposterous and was obviously built on lies by the officers involved.

Your statement is one of "you've got nothing to fear if you've got nothing to hide". I shouldn't have to fear the government. They should fear us, the population - as we're the ones who put them there.

11. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

pcstru (10th June 2013), Pyroman (10th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Your statement is one of "you've got nothing to fear if you've got nothing to hide". I shouldn't have to fear the government. They should fear us, the population - as we're the ones who put them there.
    People who say that sound like they are in fear of the government in the first place. I take it they have no curtains, because they have nothing to hide. I take it they don't have a professional twitter account and personal twitter account, because they have nothing to hide. Have some self respect.

I'm not sure what more depressing to me, people that are willing to embrace in the state people in post war east Germany lived in or they think it is necessary to stop events. Many people here deal with the cat and mouse with students (and teachers), the game simply moves on.

Thank Post
    I am sceptical about the wholesale monitoring of internet traffic simply as others have said because the sheer volume of data involved.

If our government(s) are unable to build a national system for storing our medical data (data that they already know exists!) then what are the chances they could build something capable of monitoring and analyzing ALL the internet traffic we generate!

I also have to say that the cynic in me can't help suspecting that all the hints about events that have been prevented and the bad guys plotting out there all helps to contribute to what Michael Moore called the "United States of BOO!". A good dose of fear amongst the general populace makes it much easier to justify giving mega amounts of funding to the security forces.

Either way, I am still more likely to be hurt driving, cycling or walking...

Thank Post
    They should fear us, the population - as we're the ones who put them there.
    Why should they fear us...we only get the chance to get rid of them occasionally and I didn't put the current lot or the last lot where they are (or were).

Our voting system means that my vote is effectively ignored as I live in an area that is solidly biased towards one party and has been ever since I started voting!

Thank Post
    I'm amazed by the reaction of all the Sheeple.

This has been going on for decades in one form or another. I find the good old US of A is becoming far more like the Soviet Union each year all of it disguised like a massive shot of freedom and liberty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations « The Guardian

The 29-year-old source behind the biggest intelligence leak in the NSA's history explains his motives, his uncertain future and why he never intended on hiding in the shadows

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast