+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Single solid white line outside home in General; Outside our house we have a single solid white line capped to the right of our drive and runs to ...
    Thank Post

Single solid white line outside home

Outside our house we have a single solid white line capped to the right of our drive and runs to the left and round the corner and is capped to the end of next doors drive. There is a pavement running infront of the drive too, do we have got my drive, path road with single solid white line. This line runs parrallel to the kerb. We have had our kerb dropped where as next door hasn't.

I parked my car on the pavement outside my drive and i get told by the neighbour to move the car as people round here take pictures of cars parked there and then are issued fines for parking outside their own home.

Around the area there are no signs up permitting parking in these areas. Surely if its my house i can park there. I was also told that no parking is allowed but again this was by the neighbour.

Is it worth me talking to the council about this?

I just need a bit od advice about this.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The line is nothing more than an edge marker, it doesn't denote any restrictions on parking/waiting. Unless there's specific signage to say otherwise you're perfectly within your rights to park there.

3. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

timbo343 (8th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    The line is nothing more than an edge marker, it doesn't denote any restrictions on parking/waiting. Unless there's specific signage to say otherwise you're perfectly within your rights to park there.
    Thanks @synaesthesia i thought that was the case from reading what was on the net. I think the neighbours have nothing more to do with their time, i mean they inform the local police and every other tom, dick and harry to monitor their home when they are away.

Its just something that got my back up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As above, white lines do not denote parking restrictions. Here is a guide to road markings: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_070563.pdf
    White line is just an edge marking.
    Sounds like some busibodies have some time on their hands

Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Surely if its my house i can park there.
    Having a house has no bearing on the road outside, you have no more right to park there than anyone else.
    In this case, anyone can park there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    As above, white lines do not denote parking restrictions. Here is a guide to road markings: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_070563.pdf
    White line is just an edge marking.
    Sounds like some busibodies have some time on their hands

Having a house has no bearing on the road outside, you have no more right to park there than anyone else.
    In this case, anyone can park there.
    I might have been a bit arrogant about the its my house etc but as i understand you cannot black anyone in if there is a dropped curb which is fine.

At least i know now i can park there and i cant get a fine for it

Thank Post
    I parked my car on the pavement outside my drive
    Parking on the pavement might not be legal?

8. Thanks to laserblazer from:

timbo343 (8th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Parking on the pavement might not be legal?
    Lol, next door do it and the one next to them do it etc. Everyone does it dont they.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes parking on the pavements is causing an obstruction. In your case @timbo343 sounds like you might need to tread a little warily as your neighbour sounds like one of those neighbours you wouldn't wish on people. If I were you I'd ring your local council and ask them for clarification on the issue - preferably in writing just in case the neighbour 'plays up'. My nephew has had a problem neighbour for some years now and those people seem to do anything to make life difficult for him. Indeed recently he had an attempted burglary which suspiciously to me didn't sound like a genuine burglary attempt but a grudge issue. Best of luck mate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Yes parking on the pavements is causing an obstruction. In your case @timbo343 sounds like you might need to tread a little warily as your neighbour sounds like one of those neighbours you wouldn't wish on people. If I were you I'd ring your local council and ask them for clarification on the issue - preferably in writing just in case the neighbour 'plays up'. My nephew has had a problem neighbour for some years now and those people seem to do anything to make life difficult for him. Indeed recently he had an attempted burglary which suspiciously to me didn't sound like a genuine burglary attempt but a grudge issue. Best of luck mate.
    Cheers, yeah you are right there. Going to seek council advice i think via email with picture.
    Last edited by timbo343; 8th June 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Thank Post
    With or without yellow lines, obstructing the highway is an offence and police will take action where people are parking unreasonably.

Had an interesting one in our tiny village recently - very narrow crossroads with double yellows on the crossroads itself. Car parked just about off the double yellows; large artic delivering to building site; obstruction by car took best part of an hour to manoeuvre round, with help in the end from builders to lift and move the obstructing car.

Thank Post
    I think the only issue is the parking on the pavement.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With regards to parking restrictions: even yellow lines (double or single) are meaningless if there isn't a relevant yellow sign (PDF) to support them.

15. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

timbo343 (10th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Parking against a drop kerb can lead to your car being removed (it happened to my missus) - though I think its only if someone complains - and to be fair the police did try and call her to tell her to move the car before it was taken, but she wasn't in, so didn't pick up the call

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Parking against a drop kerb can lead to your car being removed (it happened to my missus) - though I think its only if someone complains - and to be fair the police did try and call her to tell her to move the car before it was taken, but she wasn't in, so didn't pick up the call
    I think thats only the case if you are blocking someone getting OFF the drive but not blocking them getting ONTO the drive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    What about if its YOUR OWN drive. Surely you cant phone yourself up to report your own car is blocking your partners car.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast