+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Single solid white line outside home in General; I phoned myself up, but didnt get a good response, always engaged....

Thank Post
    I phoned myself up, but didnt get a good response, always engaged.

2. Thanks to mattianuk from:

SpuffMonkey (10th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Probably because everyone else is complaining about the silly little things too rather than getting clarification.

I have emailed the council, will see what they say about. They will prob pass me to the highways agency.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketlane View Post
    With or without yellow lines, obstructing the highway is an offence and police will take action where people are parking unreasonably.

Had an interesting one in our tiny village recently - very narrow crossroads with double yellows on the crossroads itself. Car parked just about off the double yellows; large artic delivering to building site; obstruction by car took best part of an hour to manoeuvre round, with help in the end from builders to lift and move the obstructing car.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    What about if its YOUR OWN drive. Surely you cant phone yourself up to report your own car is blocking your partners car.
    Ah, but if your partner phones you to complain......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    Ah, but if your partner phones you to complain......
    Ill tell her where to go :P

Thank Post
    Maybe the guy is concerned it will set a precedent if someone sees a car parked on the line, not knowing said car is blocking their own drive?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Lol, next door do it and the one next to them do it etc. Everyone does it dont they.
    NO Everyone doesnt do it! Pavements are for people - roads are for cars. Too many people think its ok to park on a pavement but this can cause obstruction and difficulty for pedestrians, mothers with prams, partially sighted people, wheelchair users etc. If you cant park your car on the road outside your house as theres not enough room, then park it elsewhere. You have no entitlement to park rightoutside your own property, if its safe to do so then ok, otherwise park it elsewhere and walk! If you need your car as close to you as possible then buy a house with a driveway. No excuse for parking on the pavement.

9. 3 Thanks to bertster:

john (10th June 2013), pcstru (11th June 2013), SteveT (11th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bertster View Post
    NO Everyone doesnt do it! Pavements are for people - roads are for cars. Too many people think its ok to park on a pavement but this can cause obstruction and difficulty for pedestrians, mothers with prams, partially sighted people, wheelchair users etc. If you cant park your car on the road outside your house as theres not enough room, then park it elsewhere. You have no entitlement to park rightoutside your own property, if its safe to do so then ok, otherwise park it elsewhere and walk! If you need your car as close to you as possible then buy a house with a driveway. No excuse for parking on the pavement.
    Surely it means the owner of the car is happy for their vehicle to be used as part of the pavement & more than happy for you to walk over it?

11. 2 Thanks to TechMonkey:

Greenbeast (11th July 2013), Netman (10th June 2013)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bertster View Post
    If you need your car as close to you as possible then buy a house with a driveway. No excuse for parking on the pavement.
    And where do you find one of those? I think it's fair to say most households will have 3 or more cars at one point in the occupiers life (Man, woman, kid(s)). Unless you live in a mansion I doubt very much you have a triple driveway. What would you rather; people being slightly inconvenienced by cars parked on the pavement or a kid knocked down by a car because the narrow road is choke full of parked cars restricting visibility?

We had the PITA neighbour phone the police/council as people were parking on the pavement in a cul de sac and he was disabled (lie). At first everyone was told to park on the road, then once it became clear that this caused more problems the police told everyone it was fine to park on the pavement.

If you cant park your car on the road outside your house as theres not enough room, then park it elsewhere.
    Where? Outside your house maybe? We live in a country where the roads and parking are not fit for purpose. You can either get all pissy about it or you can just accept we've all got to get along by a bit of give and take.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 10th June 2013 at 05:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I think it's fair to say most households will have 3 or more cars at one point in the occupiers life (Man, woman, kid(s)).
    I don't.

Thank Post
    it maybe fair to say some houses will have multiple cars but i dont see that as any different from a house with too few bedrooms move or do something about it. My road is becoming a pain on sunday i doubt i would of been able to get my car out as nextdoor (drives all join its just one lump of tarmac) parked on the road behind their oyher car and at a 30 degree angle and someone had abandoned theit ka in the middle of the road parked in the direction of travel. Now granted its a dead end but to get out i would of needed to get a lot of lock on the second i got out the garage and as it was nose in that wouldnt happen. People just seem to think thats as slose as i can get to my house and abandon their car there and not give a hoot about anyone else

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I don't.
    and to make up for it we had 4 in our household at one point But to be fair we do have a large drive suitable for 4 cars and leaves room for turning and visitors.

My place in London has 1 parking bay with it that cost 25K extra to have as there is about 500 bays on the development for something like 5,000 homes once its completed so win some loose some.

Thank Post
    What would you rather; people being slightly inconvenienced by cars parked on the pavement or a kid knocked down by a car because the narrow road is choke full of parked cars restricting visibility?
    But then the restriction of visibility is just moved from the road to the pavement, with the restriction of walking room forcing pedestrians on to the road in to traffic as well. In that situation I don't see the give and take, your vehicle takes over the pavement and the pedestrian gets the opportunity to get knocked over. If there are 3 cars in a house hold then they need to realize that they are the ones that need to make allowances and be polite and compromise as they are the ones needing extra spaces.

Thank Post
    What would you rather; people being slightly inconvenienced by cars parked on the pavement or a kid knocked down by a car because the narrow road is choke full of parked cars restricting visibility?
    That seems like a bizarre and rather stark choice. I mean how about if visibility is restricted, drivers drive at a speed that is suitable for that visibility so that they actually pose little or no risk to kids? Or is asking drivers to suffer the slight inconvenience of driving with due care and attention a bit too much to expect these days?
    Last edited by pcstru; 11th June 2013 at 01:20 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast