+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Game of Thrones - S03E09 (Possible Spoilers) in General; The problem with formatting to hide spoilers is that formatting doesn't apply in the emails sent out when a subscribed ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with formatting to hide spoilers is that formatting doesn't apply in the emails sent out when a subscribed thread is updated. You could possibly avoid this by using

SPOILERS
    |
    [lots of blank lines]
    |
    [actual spoiler]

but that would make the thread painful to read.

Better to stick to the cryptic clues, I think

EDIT: though of course the problem with cryptic clues is that they can be confusing - at first, I thought @LeMarchand was referring to the actress playing Lyanna Stark

DOUBLE EDIT: another option for spoilers is to avoid them at first, then edit the post to add them in and hide them with formatting - because the edit wouldn't get emailed out...
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 10th June 2013 at 02:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    The problem with formatting to hide spoilers is that formatting doesn't apply in the emails sent out when a subscribed thread is updated. You could possibly avoid this by using

SPOILERS
    |
    [lots of blank lines]
    |
    [actual spoiler]

but that would make the thread painful to read.

Better to stick to the cryptic clues, I think

EDIT: though of course the problem with cryptic clues is that they can be confusing - at first, I thought @LeMarchand was referring to the actress playing Lyanna Stark

DOUBLE EDIT: another option for spoilers is to avoid them at first, then edit the post to add them in and hide them with formatting - because the edit wouldn't get emailed out...
    I think there is some confusion here - Stoneheart is not Lyanna Stark... Stoneheart arises as a result of both the Brotherhood without Banners and the Red Wedding, although I cannot say more without giving too much away but the convergence of the BWB and Red Wedding plotlines in the Stoneheart plotline is pivotal to the plotlines of Jamie and Brienne of Tarth so it can hardly be swept under the carpet. Although arguably the actor in the Stoneheart plotline COULD be played by someone different if the costuming was done right.

Thank Post
    I think we need a "GoT - don't enter until you are up to date with the books" topic to save confusion!

There's still the "ISpy" problem, though...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is Ep09 the end of S03? I've been waiting till they're all shown so I can watch them back to back. Though I have read all the books so I know what's coming

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Is Ep09 the end of S03? I've been waiting till they're all shown so I can watch them back to back. Though I have read all the books so I know what's coming
    I actually think that I am enjoying GoT MORE having read the books and knowing the intricacies than I would have if I hadn't - I think TV dramatizations of complex book series like GoT can be difficult to follow and indeed there are a few things I would have been left scratching my head about if I didn't already know the score.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post

One more to go, 10 eps per season. As soon as Igetin tonight, I'm watching it. God knows how they can top the last episode!

Also, cracking idea @LeMarchand!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I think there is some confusion here - Stoneheart is not Lyanna Stark... Stoneheart arises as a result of both the Brotherhood without Banners and the Red Wedding, although I cannot say more without giving too much away but the convergence of the BWB and Red Wedding plotlines in the Stoneheart plotline is pivotal to the plotlines of Jamie and Brienne of Tarth so it can hardly be swept under the carpet. Although arguably the actor in the Stoneheart plotline COULD be played by someone different if the costuming was done right.
    Oh I know who Stoneheart is - just @LeMarchand's use of "LS" to refer to a character momentarily threw me, I'm used to thinking of LS as Lyanna (probably from too much L+R=J {ALSO DO NOT GOOGLE THIS})

A thread for those up to speed on books sounds an excellent idea to me also.

Thank Post
    Another question, what's happened to Rob's army? While the wedding was taking a turn for the worst, you saw some of his men being killed off but I imagine his whole army is still camped out somewhere? Surely they will hear of this and go nuts? Or is the idea that the vast majority of his troops were killed while celebrating effectively eradicating his army completely?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Or is the idea that the vast majority of his troops were killed while celebrating effectively eradicating his army completely?
    This.

From the Song of Ice and Fire Wikia (don't look it up yourself, because - of course - spoilers):
    There is a feast and songs are sung including "Iron Lances" and "The Queen Took Off Her Sandal, the King Took Off His Crown".[1] The main food is pink lamb.

By using sellswords and knights at the feast disguised as musicians, and getting Robb's men too drunk to fight, Lord Walder Frey is able to coordinate a massacre with little loss to his own men. The two twin castles and the outlying camps are signaled when the band begins playing the "The Rains of Castamere" after the start of the bedding between Edmure and Roslin. Few of the northmen have a chance to react, and most are butchered on the spot.

The Frey and Bolton men turn on the Stark soldiers. Specially-rigged feast tents collapse and are set aflame during the slaughter. In the main hall, many of Robb's personal guard are killed by Freys, including Smalljon Umber, Dacey Mormont, and Ser Wendel Manderly, as well as his mother Catelyn. Roose Bolton personally kills Robb, who was previously shot by arrows, with a thrust to the heart.[1]

Though no definitive count is known, most of the northmen are killed while House Frey loses only approximately fifty men in the camps
    The episode didn't really get across the scale of the massacre, though it showed some of the slaughter of the army, but it made up for it with sheer gore and brutality. I have to wonder how many TV-only types saw the very last throat-slit coming

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    This.

From the Song of Ice and Fire Wikia (don't look it up yourself, because - of course - spoilers):

The episode didn't really get across the scale of the massacre, though it showed some of the slaughter of the army, but it made up for it with sheer gore and brutality. I have to wonder how many TV-only types saw the very last throat-slit coming
    Thought as much however like you say, it was not shown very well. At first I though it was a select group of bodyguards and officer types there enjoying the celebrations, but when they all started dyeing, I thought that it must be his entire army there.

You mean Catelyn's death scene? Once Rob was killed, I though she was going to die, then when she killed the girl and just stood there for what seemed like an age, I thought she was going to survive and be left forever in torment (maybe become mad or something), but then the guy with the sword just popped in scene and did the deed. That was also a bit of a shocker out of right field!

I also wonder what has happened to Edmure and Roslin. Were they spared,or put to death in their wedding bed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Thought as much however like you say, it was not shown very well. At first I though it was a select group of bodyguards and officer types there enjoying the celebrations, but when they all started dyeing, I thought that it must be his entire army there.

You mean Catelyn's death scene? Once Rob was killed, I though she was going to die, then when she killed the girl and just stood there for what seemed like an age, I thought she was going to survive and be left forever in torment (maybe become mad or something), but then the guy with the sword just popped in scene and did the deed. That was also a bit of a shocker out of right field!

I also wonder what has happened to Edmure and Roslin. Were they spared,or put to death in their wedding bed?
    Why would you put to death a valuable hostage - Edmure is, after all, Lord of Riverrun...

Thank Post
    Just watched Ep 10! A more low key ep than 9 with a not so huge ending either, but still good! Now to have withdrawal symptoms until Season 4!

Thank Post
    it is strange how its ended on a fairly "quiet" point of the books with the season end, the red wedding is a hell of a lot to get through though, its probably one of the nastiest points of all the books, I have to say though, it is impressive though the closeness to the books that HBO have kept it, only a few minor off canon moments in the series so far.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    it is strange how its ended on a fairly "quiet" point of the books with the season end, the red wedding is a hell of a lot to get through though, its probably one of the nastiest points of all the books, I have to say though, it is impressive though the closeness to the books that HBO have kept it, only a few minor off canon moments in the series so far.
    I agree, some shows tend to veer right off course or add loads of extra stuff (Season 1 of the Walking Dead is a prime example), but I'm about a 3rd through book 1 and it seems to be almost like for like. In a way, it's a tiny bit annoying and think I could jump to the book that Season 4 will start on!Don;t worry though, I'm not going to!!!

At least it clarified the situation with Robb's "army".

Also really interested to see Arya and The Hound's relationship develop. Hopefully she seeks out that assassin dude with the coin!:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, a quiet Monday afternoon (mercy be!) has allowed me the chance to start that threatened spoiler-heavy thread on ASOIAF. Come join in if you're all read up (if you're not, though, stay away for the love of all the gods old and new!)

16. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Rawns (17th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast