+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Game of Thrones - S03E09 (Possible Spoilers) in General; Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab GRRM himself said they'd made it more brutal than he ever imagined! I have to say, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    GRRM himself said they'd made it more brutal than he ever imagined!

I have to say, in a kind of bizarre way I've been enjoying what the writers have been doing with the Theon scenes. By keeping his torturers identity (mostly) secret, the scenes are as much Barry (not revealing his real identity here) torturing the viewer as he is torturing Theon. Pointing out all the visual clues the directors keep dropping in (e.g. the fact that Barry always blows a horn, the method of torture being used etc) has also proved to be a fun way of torturing my friends as they remain completely clueless as to his identity! It really is very obvious, especially if you go back and watch the end of season 2.

Edit: Needless to say, "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention" is a line as much directed at the viewer as it is at Theon.
    So you know who he is, or which family he belongs to? From reading the books, or you've picked up on the clues? Think I'll review Season 2 again!

When you lot mention the 'next wedding' we on about that cretin King Jofery? Can't think of any one else getting married, I wish he was the one getting tortured/killed!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    So you know who he is, or which family he belongs to? From reading the books, or you've picked up on the clues? Think I'll review Season 2 again!

When you lot mention the 'next wedding' we on about that cretin King Jofery? Can't think of any one else getting married, I wish he was the one getting tortured/killed!
    You don't really want us to answer these questions, do you?

I know who Barry is from the books, where it's known by the end of Book 2; I really can't see them stretching his identity out past the end of the final episode though. I reckon you'll know by Monday (or whenever you'll catch the final episode)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    I was 2 episodes behind and the wife made me watch the other night just so we could talk about what happened in the latest one.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    You don't really want us to answer these questions, do you?

I know who Barry is from the books, where it's known by the end of Book 2; I really can't see them stretching his identity out past the end of the final episode though. I reckon you'll know by Monday (or whenever you'll catch the final episode)
    No no I don't really...well, I kinda' do...a bit!

I don't want to know who he is, I was curious if you picked up who Barry is from something in the previous episodes and you put 2 and 2 together, or maybe I missed something obvious, but it looks like you've read the book so presume you knew who he was from the outset.

Not sure if I want to know about the wedding either. Think I'm trying to get hits by grasping at straws and hoping someone says "warmer, warmer!".

I reckon King Jofery's wedding, with dragons smashing though the roof and eating him, kinda like Shreck!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I was 2 episodes behind and the wife made me watch the other night just so we could talk about what happened in the latest one.

Ben
    Yea, I was hoping to keep this thread roughly around Ep 9 only to limit possible spoilers.

Thank Post
    Just watched this episode and I am STUNNED and shocked! I've never felt this way before from watching a TV show but this was completely mental! I can't come to terms with what's happened! One mental twist after another! It's like Sean Bean loosing his head all over again but 100 times worse!!! Aaahggghhhh!!!!!!!!
    I'm impressed that you managed to avoid knowing what would happen in advance, given the amount of Richards on the interwebs who seem to have made it their personal mission to ruin this for anyone who hadn't read the books!

Thank Post
    Warning: The wedding spoiler from @Marshall_IT came into an inbox unformatted! Luckily I deleted it before I glanced at it!
    Last edited by Rawns; 7th June 2013 at 09:32 AM.

Thank Post
    A little from column A, a little from column B. They have changed quite a lot of the plot between the book and TV series, and the Theon torture isn't really played up anywhere near as much as in the book (don't want to go into too much detail about the differences because spoilers). I figured out that it was in fact the same character as in the book from the clues in the TV show. I do know a couple of TV-only people who figured it out from the clues in the show, though.

No need to go back to rewatch the whole season, there's one scene which should give you a fairly big clue: Horn Blowing - YouTube (apologies for the bad language in the video title here)

I really wouldn't reccomend anyone answering this question or asking similar ones. It totally ruins the impact if you have any idea what's coming, and it's hard to give subtle clues without just out-and-out spoiling it.
    Last edited by plexer; 7th June 2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: fixed that for you

9. Thanks to Sdrawkcab from:

Rawns (7th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Warning: The wedding spoiler from @Marshall_IT came into an inbox unformatted! Luckily I deleted it before I glanced at it!
    ARGH sorry

Thank Post
    @Marshall IT - You're actually skipping forward a bit there. Season 3 is only the first half of book 3. The events to which you allude occur much later in the book.

To be honest I thought the The Red Wedding would be the season finale.. the fact it wasn't (and I should have seen it coming as episode 9 has been climaxsome in all the seasons so far NedHead in season 1 and the Battle of the Blackwater in season 2) means that I am now umming and ahing over what's actually going to be in episode 10.
    Without spoilers I don't know if its going to be Kings Landing, Castle Black of Across the Sea...maybe it'll be all three.

I am more worried about Gendry at the moment. Mainly because they have diverged his storyline in the show away from the books.. So he is currently the only one whose fate I don't currently know.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    I am more worried about Gendry at the moment. Mainly because they have diverged his storyline in the show away from the books.. So he is currently the only one whose fate I don't currently know.
    This, it's been quite a while since i've read book 3 and i thought i was not remembering what happened correctly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They are starting to amalgamate more and more characters as they go along (all the Westerlings into whatever-her-name-was - never warmed to her at all in the show, was never convinced they were actually in love - and Gendry and Edric Storm, for two) but hopefully they've cleared the way for a few more to enter the picture again. We've not seen anyone from Dorne yet, and they'd appeared by now in the books - I suppose the Red Viper's lot will fill the gap left by the Red Wedding.

I'm not too worried for Gendry, based on Edric in the books, though that doesn't mean much I suppose.

Did anyone ever work out why they bothered introducing Ros? Given how much they had to chop for reasons of time, it felt odd to create a new character entirely then not have her do much. I can't believe we had three seasons of her just so she could tattle to Varys, they could've done that another way.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 7th June 2013 at 09:51 AM.

Thank Post
    I was disappointed when I realised they had merged Gendry with Edric Storm Edric Storm is a hilarious character because of how he was conceived: He's the bastard son of Robert Baratheon and Selyse Florent (now Stannis' wife), conceived on Stannis' day in Stannis' wedding bed. Absolutely brilliant. I guess it's not worth keeping a character in just because he has an amusing origin though.

While we're talking about weird nonsensical changes between the books and TV, I'd like to point out how strange it was that they changed the name of Theon's sister. I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd do that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    While we're talking about weird nonsensical changes between the books and TV, I'd like to point out how strange it was that they changed the name of Theon's sister. I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd do that.
    I believe it was to prevent confusion with Osha (wildling woman with Bran) who'd already been introduced. To those who don't read the books: Theon's sister was originally called Asha.

Thank Post
    Did anyone ever work out why they bothered introducing Ros? Given how much they had to chop for reasons of time, it felt odd to create a new character entirely then not have her do much. I can't believe we had three seasons of her just so she could tattle to Varys, they could've done that another way.
    1) Saved hiring a new actress to play "un-named whore" in each episode.
    2) She was hot.
    3) As a burlesque dancer, she was not adverse to going au naturel. That said, there are rumours that her departure came about after she decided against doing more nekkid scenes. I'm hoping that's not true. (That she was sacked for the refusal, not because she made the decision).

I believe it was to prevent confusion with Osha (wildling woman with Bran) who'd already been introduced. To those who don't read the books: Theon's sister was originally called Asha.
    As an aside,apparently GRRM like Natalie Tena's performance as Osha, so she got given more screen time than Asha.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast