+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Whiteboard Calibration in General; Not entirely sure which forum I should really be dumping this topic in... buuuuut HEEEELP! Got a teacher here who ...
    Thank Post

Whiteboard Calibration

Not entirely sure which forum I should really be dumping this topic in... buuuuut HEEEELP!

Got a teacher here who whinges almost every day about his interactive whiteboard (he's officially the schools biggest moaner!) Anyway.... this time he does have something to moan about!

His interactive whiteboard (SMART) has trouble calibrating. In the mornings he declares that it is knocked well out of line (and sometimes during the course of the day). At first I suspected a student may have been playing a prank on him when he had his back turned, but now I'm not so sure.

I managed to catch him when his board was knocked out of line and attempted to recalibrate myself.... and I discovered that it actually refused to calibrate properly!

Check the attached image.

Those lines were drawn using a straight edge as a guide, notice how they're significantly wobbly on the far left / right side near the bottom.

Admittedly this is better than it was, the lines were almost an entire square out of line before calibration, but its still not spot on (even after several failed attempts at calibrating).

This guy is a maths teacher too, so it causes him hell in lessons where precision is required (such as coordinates and the like).

Anyone had a problem like this before? Anyone figured out how to solve it? Should I be going back to the manufacturer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whiteboard Calibration-boardcalibration.png  

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Whiteboard Calibration

is the projector at a strange angle or straight on?

Also is the keystoning all set up right?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,658 Posts

We had this problem with one of our boards. It was only a couple of months old, but it turned out it had started to delaminate. For us it was replaced under guarantee...

Thank Post

We are getting a similar problem with one of our smartboards i am going to give it a good test at breaktime see if it's the user or something more important. Will let you know how i get on.

Thank Post

Umm, strange. We have the same problem with one of our newer Smart Boards.

When it has been calibrated the alignment is not correct. the problem is that when you write on the board the actual writing appears about 2 cm above where you are writing. Never had this problem before and I don't think it would be down to the projector?

Alex

Thank Post

What point calibration are you set at? We use 20 point callibration here and never had a problem.

Thank Post

I use 9 point calibration and never had a problem - never noticed any improvement with the higher level calibration even for handwriting.

Looking that the OPs picture I'd say it was a faulty smartboard, but you could replace the USB cable to see if that helps - hell you never know!

Thank Post

is it an older 500 series bored (with the black plastic around the edges) or a newer 600 series with the silver edges?

how long has it been in? did you register the board for the extra 3 years warrenty when you installed the software?

Thank Post

We had something similar on one of our 580s - got it replaced under warranty for a 680!

Thank Post

Make sure you register the board for the guarantee extension.

Many people have no problems with their boards - that just means they are lucky - I've had 2 reported faulty in last 2 weeks

You need to go down the route of software/hardware subsitution.

Swap board with another class - does the fault go with it.

Try a laptop (pref that has never had Smart software on it before) see what happens.

Swap cable if possible.

Check version of driver on a a working machine vs the faulty class.

Sacrifice small animal.

Contact your supplier and see if they are interested in helping you find the fault :P

When all else fails - contact Steljes (the UK importer) but pe prepared for the worst support you've ever ever experiencd

Good luck

regards

Simon

Thank Post

I had a similar one, caused problems when teacher was trying to demonstrate correct hand writting techniques! Eventually fixed by re-routing the USB cable away from any power sources. If its a new board (silver edge) there is a warning that they are very sensitive to EMF, even to what walls they are fixed to.

Thank Post

Sacrifice small animal.
    Will do.

how long has it been in?
    Only a few months.

is the projector at a strange angle or straight on?
    It's mounted to the ceiling, not straight on (kids would be bumping their heads otherwise), but it's reasonable. Same height as other rooms, and this issue never used to exist before. It's keystoned rather well, seems pretty well aligned with the board.

What point calibration are you set at?
    I set it to the finest (20) as part of my usual install routine. I've discovered from experience that 9 or 4 tend to achieve less accurate results, and these guys are zealots for accuracy.

I'll try as many of the suggestions above that I am able to while the NM is out and report my findings back here! Thanks for the advice!

Thank Post

if it is a new 600 series board try removing the pen tray, (a couple of clips undernearth if you look you will see them) then loosen the 2 screws that hold the board to the wall slightly, if these are 2 tight is will bend the board slightly making the orientation go out.

you could also try swapping the control box on the back if the problem carrys on, i cant see it being this tbh but it is woth a try its only a couple of screws.

finaly get your self an A-B usb cable and unplug the existing usb cable from the back of the board and go straight from there to your computer canceling out your break out box.

if all this fails contact the company that installed it and let them deal with it if it has only been in a few months.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Make sure you register the board for the guarantee extension.

Many people have no problems with their boards - that just means they are lucky - I've had 2 reported faulty in last 2 weeks

You need to go down the route of software/hardware subsitution.

Swap board with another class - does the fault go with it.

Try a laptop (pref that has never had Smart software on it before) see what happens.

Swap cable if possible.

Check version of driver on a a working machine vs the faulty class.

Sacrifice small animal.

Contact your supplier and see if they are interested in helping you find the fault :P

When all else fails - contact Steljes (the UK importer) but pe prepared for the worst support you've ever ever experiencd

Good luck

regards

Simon
    Hi Simon,

Apologies for the bad experience you have had with steljes. Please email me your concerns at services@steljes.co.uk and I will be more than happy to look into this for you. Please note that this email applies to everyone. Please email us and we will look into resolving the issues you have.

Regards

Steve

Thank Post
    Its nice to hear a distributor offering assistance to schools, however I would suggest that everyone should speak to the company they bought their equipment from first.

It is most definitely the suppliers job to offer support and assistance where ever possible to their customers. Too many companies now rely on the distributors/manufacturers to offer their customer support for them.

It sounds like this may end up with replacing the board under warranty, if not it will be an install issue so you should definitely contact your supplier.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast