+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Grooms Speech - HELP!!!! in General; I did this last summer. Not a formal do, and as my daughter was doing the best man bit, and ...

Thank Post
    I did this last summer. Not a formal do, and as my daughter was doing the best man bit, and would HATE to do a speech, it all fell to me.

For a while (a week or two) I carried a little note book around, so when I thought of a phrase, I could jot it down. This helped a lot when I settled down to write. This was about two days ahead of the day. Over the next couple of days I tweaked, but it was mostly there as I'd given myself plenty of thinking time in advance.

I’ve been told that when public speaking, that to be heard you should stand up, and speak out; to make yourself popular, you should sit down and shut up.

Thank Post
    Your job is as follows;

Make your wife cry
    Make your parents cry
    Make her parents cry
    Make the bridesmaids cry
    Make everyone think your bestman is a liar.
    Get gifts for everyone at the top table

When I say make them cry I mean by being all soppy and in touch with your emotional feminine. DO NOT punch any of them or be mean to them.

3. Thanks to Hefferzzzz from:

Millgate (5th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Another thing, unless your one of these people who can naturally give a speech to a large group people without a single shake, practice practice practice practice practice! I'm awful at giving speeches, and this is a rare occasion where I really did practice when ever I could. I was so glad I did too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    The groom speech is all about the thanks. Your speaking for you and on behalf of your new wife to show the your appreciation to everyone for coming and helping out where appropriate. Feel free to drop in a subtle joke or two for good measure, but like @3s-gtech says, no one liners, or any other blatant Googled jokes you've ripped. Keep any jokes relevant:

1. Thank the guests for coming
    2. Thank your wife and comment on how awesome she looks
    3. Thank the new in-laws (and give the mother in law some flowers)
    4. Thank your rents (and give your mother some flowers)
    5. Thank the bridesmaids (and give them a gift if you wish)
    6. Thank the ushers (and give them a gift if you wish)
    7. Thank any additional people (an aunt who made your wedding cake, a uncle who did a reading during the service etc)
    8. Finally, thank the best man and hand over to him for the comical main event.
    That about sums it up

Mr gee40 dried up completely when doing his groom's speech at our wedding. His tip is to have a prompt card, so you remember what you intended to say!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Mr gee40 dried up completely when doing his groom's speech at our wedding. His tip is to have a prompt card, so you remember what you intended to say!
    ^^

This too! Queue cards = life savers!

Thank Post
    Prompt card? I took the whole thing in Big Letters! No way was I trusting my magnum opus* to memory.

*600 words. No one had time to get bored.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Just do the thanks as mentioned, and don't forget to say how happy you and your wife are that all your friends and family could be there to share the special day with you. Mention anyone who couldn't be there as well.
    And then get your bride to stand up and say something! It's quite common now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    And then get your bride to stand up and say something!
    Try stopping her! Mine did, also blissfully brief.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Leave the jokes and entertainment to the best man - that's what he's there for

Start your speech with "On behalf of my wife and I....." - will undoubtedly get a ripple of applause and cheering. Thank everyone for coming, thank everyone who had official duties, thank the bridesmaids and say how lovely they look, give out any gifts and suck up a bit to your new father-in-law.

I am getting married next year, and that's basically what I'm planning on doing.

All the best \0/
    Good advice in this thread. Wrt above post, go steady on how much you emphasise the loveliness of the bridesmaids might be worth being nice to the best man as well - he might still be undecided about the most embarrassing stories.

Enjoy!

Thank Post
    Protect the speech onto the wall opposite you. No one will see it. You're a geek after all.
    Also, I think I will probably say one thanks to everyone in joint, mention that the wife is quite passionate about speaking for herself then sit down and turn to her as if she should stand up. Lets hope she brings her sense of humor.

Thank Post
    "And although this is the happiest day of my life, as clichéd as it is, there is always one part I'm going to regret, I feel, for the rest of my life.. And that's handing the microphone over to this guy.. I give you - the Best Man!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    What did you do?
    I have a no speech wedding is what I did. I don't like giving speeches and neither does my best man. Also, I knew my FIL would be pissed so thought it's best to knock it all on the head right from the start.

Thank Post
    Some good advice on here so far. Keep it short and sweet and do all the usual thanking etc.. If jokes come naturally to you, throw a couple of light hearted ones in. Doesn't matter if they are cheesy, it's your wedding and you'll have a sympathetic audience. Hope it goes well, and have a great day!

Thank Post
    Mine was 14 months ago, and it was the bit I was most nervous about during the whole day. I spent weeks writing, re-writing and even had one of the bridesmaids read it for me to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid.

At the end of the day, your speech isn't the one people are putting pressure on to be funny, that's the best man's job. However putting in a couple of little jokes won't hurt and this may be the only opportunity you'll ever have to get a laugh from a room full of people (it certainly was for me). Ultimately, the guests all want you to do well and are willing you to give a good speech.

As people have said before though, groom's speeches seem to follow a fairly set order.....

- Thank the father in law for his speech and welcoming you into the family.
    - Thank everyone for coming ("on behalf of my wife and I" always gets a cheer), make special mention of those who have travelled a significant distance to be there.
    - Thank the in laws for raising such a wonderful daughter, suck up to them at this point :-) - flowers to Mother in law, I told guests what an amazing cook my mother in law is (and she genuinely is) and that they had to try the fruit cake in the wedding cake as she'd made it from a secret family recipe.
    - Thank your parents - flowers to your Mum
    - Thank people who had specific roles in the wedding - readings (mention how well they were read) give flowers, ushers - give presents, I thanked the man who loaned us his VW Campervan and acted as driver and gave him a bottle of wine, the woman who made our wedding cake was thanked and given flowers.
    - Thank the bride, tell her how beautiful she is (She will look incredible, I was completely blown away), tell her how wonderful she is, I gave a quick history of how we met etc.
    - Thank the bridesmaids - tell them how amazing they look etc - give flowers etc
    - Thank the best man/men tell the guests what a liar he is and that they shouldn't believe anything he/they say.

With our wedding, I was not only becoming a husband, but also a step dad. The bit of my speech that got the tears flowing (I got the wife, the mother in law, my mum and my wife's work colleagues with this bit) was where I gave special mention to my step children, telling them how wonderful they were, and how grateful I was that they had accepted me into their lives (I also gave them presents just from me) and how I hoped to help them become the wonderful adults I am sure they will become.

Hope this is of some use, I think I managed to squeeze all that into about 5 minutes, and if it's of any use to you I can send you across a copy of my speech for you to look at?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh by the way, congrats and good luck for the big day!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast