+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do you know what this school needs... in General; Um, I meant that in all the schools I have worked/helped in, teachers, TAs (and certainly SLT below AH) have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Um, I meant that in all the schools I have worked/helped in, teachers, TAs (and certainly SLT below AH) have had to do playground duty at break and lunch.
    But not the admin or tech staff (Yay!)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahh student supervision. Been there, done that, destroyed my morale and ended up taking over my entire job. Number one reason why I flew the coop to a rival school and would never do it again!

3. Thanks to CAM from:

tech_guy (4th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Well, when they get rid of the TAs we'll all be expected to do rubb!$h stuff like this I guess. It's not in my JD so they can go hang.
    Do you not have the bit that says "any other duties as decided by the headteacher"?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Do you not have the bit that says "any other duties as decided by the headteacher"?
    Yes, but if your job has never included any responsibility for children - unlike TAs or teachers - it can be deemed unreasonable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Yeah, pubs in schools why not? The way the government is running this country, most of them will be on the dole and alcoholics by 20 anyway. Seeing as they're sticking a pub on the M40 service station junction 2 let's just go the whole hog and get it over and done with shall we?

Now you can get p!$$ed as you drive on the M40

/RANT OVER
    Broken effing Britain.

7. Thanks to rickjames from:

tech_guy (4th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yes, but if your job has never included any responsibility for children - unlike TAs or teachers - it can be deemed unreasonable
    Absolutely, however, the average SLT is going to say that as we work in a school we are all responsible for children. (I don't necessarily agree with this btw).

Thank Post
    Absolutely, however, the average SLT is going to say that as we work in a school we are all responsible for children. (I don't necessarily agree with this btw).
    They can say what they like - but it equates to asking a teacher to mend their own computer according to a friend of mine who consulted her union after being told to do lunchtime supervision - not within her remit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    Broken effing Britain.
    So it's "broken Britain" to have a pint with your lunch if you're a passenger in a car? Woe unto us...

How patronising to think that drivers are suddenly going to start swilling the ale after 3 decades of falling drink-driving rates and falling road deaths. Should we close pubs by main roads too? After all, look at the 'temptation' for drivers to knock one back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    They can say what they like - but it equates to asking a teacher to mend their own computer according to a friend of mine who consulted her union after being told to do lunchtime supervision - not within her remit
    That's a fair point however, teachers have regulations and agreements in place that control what they are and aren't expected to do. We, as support staff don't.

Incidentally, whenever a lunch or breaktime duty becomes available here, an email is sent round to all staff asking them if they are interested (it carries an extra payment of around £15/hr). As support staff here only get 30 minutes for lunch, there is no way we could apply.

We are ,however, expected to act as fire marshalls ... when the fire alarm sounds (= the building is burning down), we are expected to sweep through the school making sure there is no-one still inside and that little Johnnie hasn't shut himself in the English cupboard. I've refused to do it yet still keep being told that I have to attend fire marshal training and to explain why I am unable (not unwilling) to be a fire marshal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    So it's "broken Britain" to have a pint with your lunch if you're a passenger in a car? Woe unto us...

How patronising to think that drivers are suddenly going to start swilling the ale after 3 decades of falling drink-driving rates and falling road deaths. Should we close pubs by main roads too? After all, look at the 'temptation' for drivers to knock one back.
    'Falling drink driving rates' or not, one death by drink driving is frankly one too many.

13. Thanks to rickjames from:

tech_guy (4th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You know what this school needs?

SMT who understand "I have a dodgy back" means I shouldn't be shifting a [censored] business class network printer around their office...

Despite telling them that I doubt it can connect to the WiFi from that side of the room [the AP is in the class next door], they still want it there. And guess what? IT DOESN'T CONNECT!

/rant

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    'Falling drink driving rates' or not, one death by drink driving is frankly one too many.
    A catchy soundbite which doesn't mean that being able to have a pint with your lunch at a motorway service station is 'broken Britain'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    You know what this school needs?

SMT who understand "I have a dodgy back" means I shouldn't be shifting a [censored] business class network printer around their office...
    Reminds me of the time I had to carry various HP 4200-series and 3000-series (EDIT: oh, and a 4700n!) up three flights of stairs at a previous school. What could possibly go wrong...?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope - I had it removed because it was unreasonable in the 21st Century to have this in someone's JD. The teachers don't have it so why should we?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    A catchy soundbite which doesn't mean that being able to have a pint with your lunch at a motorway service station is 'broken Britain'.
    Since we can already buy beer at garages and service stations off the shelf, I don't see a problem TBH. A pub would have more warnings about drink driving in them for one!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast