+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
General Chat Thread, Teaching assistants facing the axe? in General; So I heard on the radio today that the Government is is talks about axing the Teaching Assistant role. Couple ...
  1. #1

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,736
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505

    Teaching assistants facing the axe?

    So I heard on the radio today that the Government is is talks about axing the Teaching Assistant role.
    Couple of sources (sorry one is Daily Mail with the usual uninformed comments).

    Army of teaching assistants faces the axe as Education department attempts to save some of the 4billion they cost each year | Mail Online
    230,000 classroom assistants face axe | The Sunday Times

    Aside from the debate about the worth of Teaching Assistants, how on earth can they actually force this though.
    One good point the Mail makes is:
    School budgets are ring-fenced from government cuts and head teachers can decide how to spend their budgets to changes could be difficult to implement.

  2. #2

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,814
    Thank Post
    1,624
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    426
    I have never heard anything so stupid in my life. Teaching assistants are a valuable school resource and help teachers immensely!

  3. 2 Thanks to nephilim:

    ButterflyMoon (3rd June 2013), stevenlong1985 (3rd June 2013)

  4. #3

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,736
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I have never heard anything so stupid in my life. Teaching assistants are a valuable school resource and help teachers immensely!
    I agree. Well used TAs do a great job.
    As it stands (and as I understand it), statemented children are entitled to one to one attention. What happens to them?

  5. #4
    Hefferzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    361
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 97 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I agree. Well used TAs do a great job.
    As it stands (and as I understand it), statemented children are entitled to one to one attention. What happens to them?
    We stop creating labels for kids and stop making excuses?

  6. #5


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,580
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 854 Times in 733 Posts
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I agree. Well used TAs do a great job.
    As it stands (and as I understand it), statemented children are entitled to one to one attention. What happens to them?
    arnt statements being phased out as well?

  7. #6

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,814
    Thank Post
    1,624
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    426
    How about labelling people correctly, my daughter is on the autistic spectrum, needs a rigid structure in her day, if she doesn't get it, she acts out, badly.

    The nursery noticed this, and worked with us and she has improved drastically, and there is already a set structure for when she moves up into the next school. If you find out early, you can get things set in motion for the child.

    For many of these children that are statemented, they are done so because they lack discipline at home, and the school is too scared to instill discipline for the child for fear he/she may lash out. It is much easier to statement a child and have them put in a special class than it is for the teacher to use proper discipline (this is based on personal experience of working in several schools)

  8. Thanks to nephilim from:

    ButterflyMoon (3rd June 2013)

  9. #7

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,736
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    We stop creating labels for kids and stop making excuses?
    Identifying pupils that need extra help to give them a good experience of/integrating them into school is a bad thing??
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    arnt statements being phased out as well?
    Oh do you happen to a have source for that? Would very much like to look into that.

  10. #8

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    4,943
    Thank Post
    862
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    We stop creating labels for kids and stop making excuses?
    Have you ever been to a Lincolnshire school? I'm not saying every statement is valid, and ADHD has been treated as a Get Out of Jail Free card a lot recently, but a lot of kids do have genuine learning or behavioural issues and really benefit from the support.

  11. #9
    Hefferzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    361
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 97 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Have you ever been to a Lincolnshire school? I'm not saying every statement is valid, and ADHD has been treated as a Get Out of Jail Free card a lot recently, but a lot of kids do have genuine learning or behavioural issues and really benefit from the support.
    Yes and without doubt there are some children with genuine problems that need support. However, there are far more that are statemented out of convenience.

  12. #10

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,736
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    Yes and without doubt there are some children with genuine problems that need support. However, there are far more that are statemented out of convenience.
    Any evidence to support this, there been some kind of report done into the effectiveness of statements you can link to?

  13. #11

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,118
    Thank Post
    1,371
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    That's interesting, because in my LA it is really difficult to get ANY child statemented.

    I think this is because once they have a statement it is likely that the LA has to give us money for TA hours to support that child. So most children, many of whom really need the extra help, only get a limited amount of hours that the school can afford (even when the LA does provide help, it is usually for not enough hours).
    TAs are very valuable in class - they support many children, often not just their one-to-one child and some are general TAs anyway, particularly in Primary schools. With the advent of "group work" where the teacher usually supports one particular group, the TA is worth his or her weight in gold, to help support the other groups in the class. TAs do an amazing job and use a lot of their own time to find resources to support their particular child's needs. They don't get enough money or training as it is, and it is only their enthusiasm for the job that results in a good outcome.

  14. Thanks to witch from:

    ButterflyMoon (3rd June 2013)

  15. #12
    Hefferzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    361
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 97 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Any evidence to support this, there been some kind of report done into the effectiveness of statements you can link to?
    No, i'm afraid that I dont have a report for it. I just use something that is distinctly lacking in education at the moment - common sense.

  16. #13
    Hefferzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    361
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 97 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    That's interesting, because in my LA it is really difficult to get ANY child statemented.

    I think this is because once they have a statement it is likely that the LA has to give us money for TA hours to support that child. So most children, many of whom really need the extra help, only get a limited amount of hours that the school can afford (even when the LA does provide help, it is usually for not enough hours).
    TAs are very valuable in class - they support many children, often not just their one-to-one child and some are general TAs anyway, particularly in Primary schools. With the advent of "group work" where the teacher usually supports one particular group, the TA is worth his or her weight in gold, to help support the other groups in the class. TAs do an amazing job and use a lot of their own time to find resources to support their particular child's needs. They don't get enough money or training as it is, and it is only their enthusiasm for the job that results in a good outcome.
    And therein lies the problem. A lot of people do a lot of work outside of their remit to enable departments to function correctly which means that the extra work is effectivly free. I dont think that this is taken into account anywhere other than the department they are working in. This results in the extra work being unrecognised at head/LA/Govt level and so decisions are made incorrectly.

  17. #14

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,736
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    No, i'm afraid that I dont have a report for it. I just use something that is distinctly lacking in education at the moment - common sense.
    Ah so you can't really justify your sweeping statement with any kind of facts then.

    Unfortunately its this kind of approach that informs Government policy.

    @witch I am not 100% sure but from talking to our SENCO I don't believe that the LA provides money for statements anymore, certainly not here anyway. Its (as the increasingly familiar phrase goes) "In your budget".
    Last edited by sparkeh; 3rd June 2013 at 10:45 AM.

  18. #15
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    804
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 166 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    Think-tank Reform found that schools could improve value for money by cutting the number of teaching assistants and increasing class sizes.
    Isn't this the same think-tank that have had links with pushing the PFI programme and had a hand in saying that the Government polices would result in a 10% reduction in the NHS workforce, that it would be a good thing, without providing any calculations or reasonings?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. More government sites face the axe
    By localzuk in forum IT News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th June 2010, 01:20 PM
  2. Is BECTA Facing The Axe?
    By AngryITGuy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 24th May 2010, 10:39 PM
  3. Teaching programming on the curriculum
    By kearton in forum Coding
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10th October 2009, 03:58 PM
  4. ICT Teaching Assistant Level 3/Subject Leader/Technician.
    By beeswax in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th March 2008, 05:31 PM
  5. ICT Technician / Teaching Assistant Level 3
    By steve in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 31st January 2006, 03:31 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •