+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Camera Advice in General; I'm getting back into photography as a hobby after a break of a few years, my current camera is a ...

Thank Post

Camera Advice

I'm getting back into photography as a hobby after a break of a few years, my current camera is a Canon EOS 450D with EF-S 18-55mm IS and EFS 55-250mm IS lenses. My main interest is photographing our dog and his buddies, also a bit of landscape photography. I think I'm beginning to hit the limits of what the camera and lenses can do, I'm ok on a bright, sunny days but on overcast days or if we are in woods then I'm struggling especially with action shots as it drops down to too low a shutter speed to catch the action properly. I'm getting good results when they are stood still, which is a rarity, but not when moving. I've got a monopod, which helps a bit but still not enough, i'm actually wondering if the image stabilisation/autofocus isn't working correctly. I'm also not overly happy with the colour output, especially in the green range which looks a bit insipid.
    So, I'm wondering if I would see an improvement by just replacing the lenses with something better, if so any recommendations, or should I fleabay the lot and start again, if so what would you recommend? I'm happy to move up the range a bit, but can't afford the pro/semi pro kit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shooting in raw? Colour is correctable and lenses are unlikely to help unless you have obscenely bad ones. Have you tried the rapid fire auto settings for motion?

Thank Post
    Yes I've tried the continuos shoot mode, yes it's ok in bright sunlight, just. On an overcast day or in lower light levels it's pretty useless, even if you are tracking and using a monopod. I used to photograph motorsports with this camera and it used to be ok, that's why I'm wondering if it's a problem with the camera/lenses.
    I do mainly shoot in raw and yes with a lot of fiddling I can get the colour just about sorted, it just seems a particular problem with the green range, if I shoot a shot with not much green in it I get much richer colours straight off, if there is a lot of green then the pictures look washed out and dull and take a lot more processing to get even vaguely right.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    So, I'm wondering if I would see an improvement by just replacing the lenses with something better, if so any recommendations, or should I fleabay the lot and start again, if so what would you recommend? I'm happy to move up the range a bit, but can't afford the pro/semi pro kit.
    What flash are you using on these overcast days/in the woods?

Thank Post
    Generally I'm not using a flash as they are too far away for it to be of any benefit, if they are close then I just have then built in flash, but the closer range ones they don't tend to be running around. I'm probably expecting too much from the lenses, that's why I was asking if there are any better lenses for that camera.

Thank Post
    How far away are they?

Thank Post
    So, I'm wondering if I would see an improvement by just replacing the lenses with something better
    From my very rough knowledge of photography (gleaned mainly by being the one who keeps the school DSLR, because I remember to charge the batteries) you might do better with a prime lens - one with a fixed focal length. For choosing that focal length, you might well like to try a "normal" prime lens - one with a focal length that, when used with your camera, matches the field-of-view of the human eye. I'm not sure exactly how much such a lens costs for the Canon 450D - maybe 50-ish?

Alternativly, you could buy a completly different type of camera. The Lytro "light field" camera allows you to refocus a photo in post-processing:

https://www.lytro.com/camera

There is also the GoPro - a wider angle lens, and does seem to be designed to take pictures of sports and other fast-moving images. You could also consider the Raspberry Pi with the new camera module - simply write your own code to capture and process the image however you wish.

Thank Post
    The problem I have always found is that my eyes are much better in low light than any camera and lens I have owned (or could afford to own anyway) so I am usually disappointed with the shots I get.

Capturing fast moving subjects in low light is possible if you have deep enough pockets...just look at the lenses used by photographers at big sporting events!

Basically you need the largest aperture you can afford (smallest number) and a body with the fastest ISO value you can afford.

Other than that you need to practice panning with the subject...back when I shot with film I could track fairly fast subjects and get them in focus about 50% of the time. This still relies on the aperture and film speed (ISO) being enough for the light conditions though.

9. Thanks to CESIL from:

teejay (28th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Get a couple of manual flashguns, a couple of stands and some radio transmitters.

For radio remotes, I use these:
    YONGNUO, photographic equipment, camera accessories, flash light, camera remote control, speedlite, photo equipment, LED photo light, flash trigger, camera wireless remote control, TTL cord
    As a plus, they come with a cable to remote-release your Canon.

For flashguns, I bought three of these for peanuts from my local camera dealer. (Sunpak 555 or 4500DX)
    http://www.adorama.com/Reviews/pwr/p...edication.html
    They are outrageously powerful, and lots of manual control. Believe it or not I get more consistent flash results from the Sunpak in its auto mode (with camera in manual mode) rather than my dedicated TTL Canon flash.

Then looks at these Strobist sites for inspiration.
    Strobist photography: tutorials - Stormfront
    Strobist: On Assignment
    Flickr: The Strobist.com Pool

Strobist photography is a whole new world, and it's not too expensive to get into. It's also very liberating putting your camera into fully manual mode and thinking things through.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 28th May 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Thank Post
    These give an idea of distance:

Camera Advice-img_3334.jpg

Camera Advice-img_3357.jpg

These are when they stand still

Camera Advice-jf-27-05-13-12.jpg

Camera Advice-rvgt06052013-0113.jpg

And these are why you don't get too close

Camera Advice-rvgt06052013-0006.jpg

Camera Advice-rvgt06052013-0062.jpg

I would show some examples of when it all goes wrong, but I've deleted them, if it's dry in the next couple of days I'll try and get some examples. @CESIL I used to shoot motorsport pictures, so I'm ok with panning and also use monopod, just can't get any decent results, that's why I'm looking at possibly upgrading kit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    What's the f number of those lenses?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    What's the f number of those lenses?

Ben
    4-5.6 on the 55-250mm
    3.5 - 5.6 on the 18-55mm

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Get a couple of manual flashguns, a couple of stands and some radio transmitters.
    I'm not sure I fancy that with about 10-15 Labradors running around, they wouldn't last very long

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I fancy that with about 10-15 Labradors running around, they wouldn't last very long
    Bungee them to a tree! The flashguns, that is, not the dogs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyingchorse/2642886197/
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 28th May 2013 at 08:29 PM.

16. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

teejay (28th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Bungee them to a tree! The flashguns, that is, not the dogs.

Strobist Dog II | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Fantastic photo :-)
    I don't know, bungeeing the labs to a tree might be a good idea!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast