+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Working in the Independent sector in General; Hi all, Has anyone here got any comments they'd be willing to share about working in the Independent sector? How ...

Thank Post

Working in the Independent sector

Hi all,

Has anyone here got any comments they'd be willing to share about working in the Independent sector? How is generally different to the state sector?

I'm being interviewed for a job at an Independent school on Monday and I'm trying to get a feel for the sort of things I should be aware of.

I'm very keen to get this job as it would be a fantastic move for me, so any info anyone can share would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

Re: Working in the Independent sector

I work in the independent sector, lots of money for the IT side of things but that may of course depend on the school.......

Thank Post

you'll find that IT is different things to different people, some independent schools see it as a massive part of the school, others dont. Generally in independent schools they still look for value but they also look for quality.

you'll need to be a little more innoviate than in the maintained sector as there are fewer parties pushing for things to happen.

Thank Post

Although I don't work in the independant sector, I have a friend who does. He says that indie schools treat IT in a more business like way than state schools do. So, while state schools like all the kids to learn, the indie schools are more interested in getting their brand noticed, the equipment to be top-notch, and everything to run ultra-smooth.

Obviously, that is the opinion of one school, so it may not apply to you.

Thank Post

Strawberry's point about being more innovative is true, I think. Without the LEA forcing greater focus on ICT (and throwing money around to achieve some of it) you will find that some people may need a little encouragement to start using the technology.

I suspect that you will find a different view to purchasing equipment as well, especially high value items like whiteboards. Rather than the IT Dept or the LEA telling teachers what they must have in their classrooms, it is more likely that they will have to tell you what they want. This is both good and bad; good because equipment doesn't go to waste and gather dust as much since it is only bought when someone actually wants it, but bad because new stuff only happens when the teachers learn about it, so if they don't keep up to date with developments, they won't ask for new technologies. This will lead to a large skills gap between the keen, innovative, "out there" (typically younger) teachers and those who do what they know and are happy with it.

As funds are typically more limited in indy schools (a sentence which will possibly get me flamed!), especially the smaller ones, you will probably see a much greater focus on getting value for money, not wasting expenditure and so on. The indy school is probably looking for netman with a keen financial eye, more so than a maintained school might.

Find out about pay scales/increments and training opportunities - these are areas which can differ dramatically.

I don't know if this is indy-vs-state or some other factor between my school and some others, but the environment may well be slightly more laid back. Pupil behaviour will be better, but discipline more strict.

I'm sure there's more to say, but that's all I've got just now...

Thank Post

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Any specific tips for interview at an independent vs. a state school then?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts

be prepared to sign your life away is also work knowing about, i regret it, i don't mind sometimes, but others i really hate the weekend working etc. Fine if its not boarding inde but if it is be prepared to loose evenings, weekends etc.

I actually want to go back into State sector from inde! Also don't assume pay is better, the local LEA would pay me more than I get in inde and the training is also better from the local places, indes promise the world to get you there then don't bother acting on it. They are very clicky places and unless you fit in perfectly they you won't enjoy it and feel like suicide too often to bare thinking about.

Thank Post

We are next to a very large independant collage and our ICT Network kicks their ass.. :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

at lease you wont have kids destroying the computers, stealing mouse balls Turning things off etc

Thank Post

Although our students are no angels, we have very little vandalism compared to when i worked in state education.

The main difference is that in the independent sector, without an LEA to support/hinder you, you normally to have to build your own technical/purchasing/support infrastructure. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how much your budget is, how many tech staff there are, and how much you like getting your hands dirty talking to suppliers etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    As funds are typically more limited in indy schools (a sentence which will possibly get me flamed!), especially the smaller ones, you will probably see a much greater focus on getting value for money, not wasting expenditure and so on. The indy school is probably looking for netman with a keen financial eye, more so than a maintained school might.
    I think there is about same money main difference indies can choose to spend it where they like where as state lof of money is mandated. This can be good and bad.

Key is like most schools if got a decent head/slt who is focused on ict then great things will happen. Look at alton prep who I have not yet had chance to get down to. Whose n/w man and head are truly being innovative are moving place forward at great knots.

Russell

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    I think there is about same money main difference indies can choose to spend it where they like where as state lof of money is mandated. This can be good and bad.
    I believe that we do have less money all in; day-to-day expenses are probably much the same (slightly higher for indies, perhaps?), but the big difference comes with funding for new technologies - if we want whiteboards in every room or laptops for every teacher (or pupils!) we must buy them from our existing funds, we don't have extra funding available from the LEA for these projects. As an example, I recall someone saying "our LEA has decided we now have to have a 10meg Internet connection which is £x thousand more per year, but its okay because they've increased our funding by £x thousand". If we decided to spend £x thousand extra on Internet, we would need to find it by cutting/saving £x thousand some place else.

That said, I would much rather work with less money which I can spend at my discretion than more money which I must spend at the LEA's whim!

Thank Post

It does seem to vary from place to place. The local fee paying grammar has an interesting IT provision, self admitted by the IT Manager because of money. Another fee paying school is throwing stupid money around at whiteboards, to the extent that offices have them & I mean the huge ones!
    I suppose it is like any school, some seem to have loads and be doing everything & anything & others always seem strapped for cash.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    I suppose it is like any school, some seem to have loads and be doing everything & anything & others always seem strapped for cash.
    Could well be - a large part of it must be to do with where the focus of the SMT and teaching staff lies.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts

Having worked in both sectors... I'm currently in independent... I'll put my two-pennorth in.

As far as budgets go, they are just as tight. The state school had no money and the independent school is a business and is careful with how the fees are spent. That said, the independent cannot be seen to lag behind the local state schools, so while they hate spending the money, they do at least acknowledge the importance of IT spend. I am paid more than I was in the Stae school because of my budgetary responsibility.

The kids... I'm in a prep school- under 11s. They are well behaved and don't vandalise things. Class sizes are half what they are in the state sector! I have friends working in a neighbouring Independent Secondary and I think they have it harder. There's a certain amount of arrogance amongst the older kids and in any case they're hormonal teenagers just like the ones in the comprehensives!

The staff... no difference really. Many are still easily confused, want their whiteboard fixed yesterday, can't put paper in a printer and would prefer chalk!

Good luck with the interview.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast