+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Woolwich Attack in General; Not to ruin the butter on everyones bread, but... If this was a 'religious attack', it is in all honesty, ...
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Not to ruin the butter on everyones bread, but...

If this was a 'religious attack', it is in all honesty, nothing new. Muslims and Christians have been at 'war' since the dawn of time, and it won't stop, ever. They'll just be more, and more, and more bloodshed.

If it wasn't a religious attack, then there is something terribly wrong with our education system.

R.I.P To the helpless soldier.
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 23rd May 2013 at 09:13 AM.

Thank Post
    He looks like Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction. I suspect the media is jumping to the wrong conclusions, this is just a conversation about burgers gone horribly wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Not to ruin the butter on everyones bread, but...

If this was a 'religious attack', it is in all honesty, nothing new. Muslims and Christians have been at 'war' since the dawn of time, and it won't stop, ever. They'll just be more, and more, and more bloodshed.

If it wasn't a religious attack, then there is something terribly wrong with our education system.

R.I.P To the helpless soldier.
    I have to agree somewhat, on the video of him ranting he talks about getting rid of our government and getting rid of the troops in afghanistan. Both are fair points. and before you jump on me no i do not condone beheadings in the street. but if this draws attention to how corrupt the govt are and have been over iraq / afghanistan / syria and anywhere else you care to name then good, its about time people in this country paid attention to what their govt is doing in their name instead of saying "oh politics, that's boring, i don't care"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As much as this is a big news story, and I feel for the soldier and his family, I can't help having the feeling that this is being over played by the media and government. Just why did David Cameron cut his EU meeting short and convene and emergency COBRA meeting? Everyone seems to have jumped on the "terrorist" band wagon just a little too quickly if you ask me.

Seriously, shocking as the act was, would you jump up and down and say Al-Queda, or would you say a couple of nut jobs with a beef against the government?

The other thing that got me was the police taking 20mins to arrive!?! Probably too busy terrorising motorists to respond to a murder in progress?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Imagine the outcry if it was a Muslim man that was the victim on the street.

Britain is a very strange country sometimes.
    Last edited by zag; 23rd May 2013 at 09:44 AM.

6. Thanks to zag from:

pooley (23rd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    I have to agree somewhat, on the video of him ranting he talks about getting rid of our government and getting rid of the troops in afghanistan. Both are fair points. and before you jump on me no i do not condone beheadings in the street. but if this draws attention to how corrupt the govt are and have been over iraq / afghanistan / syria and anywhere else you care to name then good, its about time people in this country paid attention to what their govt is doing in their name instead of saying "oh politics, that's boring, i don't care"
    You say you don't condone beheadings in the street, but in the next breath you say if this has had the desired effect then that's a good thing... talk about conflicting statements!

Whilst I do agree that people should take more notice of what exactly their government gets up to instead of reading all their opinions in the newspapers, I vehemently disagree that any good can come from murdering an innocent (in this or any other case).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    As much as this is a big news story, and I feel for the soldier and his family, I can't help having the feeling that this is being over played by the media and government. Just why did David Cameron cut his EU meeting short and convene and emergency COBRA meeting? Everyone seems to have jumped on the "terrorist" band wagon just a little too quickly if you ask me.

Seriously, shocking as the act was, would you jump up and down and say Al-Queda, or would you say a couple of nut jobs with a beef against the government?

The other thing that got me was the police taking 20mins to arrive!?! Probably too busy terrorising motorists to respond to a murder in progress?
    The questions that need asking, and why COBRA would be convened, are:

Is this an isolated incident?
    Is this a new modus opperandi of a larger 'group', or a lone couple of nutters?
    What are the repercussions of this to the wider country? (Mosque attacks, far right taking more of a handle-hold etc...)
    Should the threat level in the country be increased?
    Did the intelligence services know about these guys?
    Was it specifically targeted at this guy, or the military as a whole?

So, it completely makes sense for the government to make an issue of it. If they didn't, and there are more attacks today, then the media would blame them for not having done it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Imagine the outcry if it was a Muslim man that was the victim on the street.

Britain is a very strange country sometimes.
    What, you mean like this one. Nope, I didn't catch that saturating coverage on all the news channels either.

10. 2 Thanks to pcstru:

Pyroman (23rd May 2013), zag (23rd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    You say you don't condone beheadings in the street, but in the next breath you say if this has had the desired effect then that's a good thing... talk about conflicting statements!

Whilst I do agree that people should take more notice of what exactly their government gets up to instead of reading all their opinions in the newspapers, I vehemently disagree that any good can come from murdering an innocent (in this or any other case).
    I understand i've contradicted myself there, i don't mean good that the bloke is dead, obviously it's a horrible situation for his family etc. but as demonstrated by a conversation i had with someone this morning people generally haven't got a clue about foreign policy and the nature of terrorism, they read the papers and watch the news but haven't actually got a clue about what's going on. If you talk about the CIA funding bin laden & "al-quaeda" in the 70s people look at you like you have 3 heads and you're on the side of the "terrorists" because they have such a closed minded view of the world and don't want to accept that governments are sh*ts.

We (the west) kill hundreds of civillians every week in the middle east and people are up in arms when it happens here. If you want to be a warmongering nation then you should accept that it's not all give there has to be some take aswell in the form of casualties, it's not a nice thing to say it's not a point people will agree with but while we're killing civillians we should at least expect that "they" will do the same to us. It also doesn't help when govts are saying "right this group in this country are freedom fighters but this group in another country are terrorists." One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter
    Last edited by Pyroman; 23rd May 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I meant that actual attack was quick which is why no one actually tried to stop them.

It appalls me that the police could describe someone who is other than chalk white as "of muslim appearance" unless they were wearing a burkha or a sign. Definitely institutional racism.
    theres no such thing as black and white, only shades of brown!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The questions that need asking, and why COBRA would be convened, are:

Is this an isolated incident?
    Is this a new modus opperandi of a larger 'group', or a lone couple of nutters?
    What are the repercussions of this to the wider country? (Mosque attacks, far right taking more of a handle-hold etc...)
    Should the threat level in the country be increased?
    Did the intelligence services know about these guys?
    Was it specifically targeted at this guy, or the military as a whole?
    So COBRA convenes and asks these questions every time there is a random murder? Or are the police and intelligence services paid to do a job? Either there's more to this than has been reporting, or someones trying to earn cheap political capital out of it. Maybe I'm too tired and shouldn't be watching BBC news at 5 in the morning, but I swear they made less noise about Princes Di's death or the 2005 London bombings.

It's seems we are now living in a country where every non-white is a job stealing immigrant and part of some secret terrorist cell out to get us. Sad, very sad.

Thank Post
    Bring back the death penalty !!

If it was up to me id make them wait for 6 months to think about their fate and would probably birch them every weekend just out of spite.

15. Thanks to Galway from:

Sunnyknight (23rd May 2013)

Thank Post
    So COBRA convenes and asks these questions every time there is a random murder? Or are the police and intelligence services paid to do a job? Either there's more to this than has been reporting, or someones trying to earn cheap political capital out of it.
    I suspect there would be more fallout if they didn't convene cobra than they will get for doing it or that's their thought process better to be seen doing anything than waiting for the facts to come out then making a decision

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    I suspect there would be more fallout if they didn't convene cobra than they will get for doing it or that's their thought process better to be seen doing anything than waiting for the facts to come out then making a decision
    Fallout? Why? So every time there's a random murder on the street the first thing the BBC, Sky News, Daily Mail (actually they probably would) do is phone downing street and say "have you convened COBRA yet?". I don't buy it. This is a knee jerk reaction to an unfortunate event that sends all the wrong messages to the country in my book.

Thank Post
    Fallout? Why? So every time there's a random murder on the street the first thing the BBC, Sky News, Daily Mail (actually they probably would) do is phone downing street and say "have you convened COBRA yet?". I don't buy it. This is a knee jerk reaction to an unfortunate event that sends all the wrong messages to the country in my book.
    im not saying their would be but I suspect they are afraid that there would be if you see what I mean

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast