+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Wahey - A SAN!! in General; Thanks, that's good to know...

Thank Post
    Thanks, that's good to know

Thank Post
    I am pressing our old Dell ( EMC Clarrion) AX4-5i back into frontline service as our P4500 HP is out of space.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Take a look at the Nimble CS210/CS220 if you are looking at the PS41* series. If anything apart from the fact they are more up to date technology it will make Dell drop there pants to convince you to buy a Equalogic. I have installed 2 nimbles in the last week and to say the performance is Amazing is an understatement, plus the built in compression (both are running at 35% compression) its quality kit.

If you have any questions of the Nimbles give me a shout they are one of the best bits of kit out in the San world at the moment and would put an Equalogic to shame.

4. Thanks to glennda from:

KevinB (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks @glennda , I've seen quite a few recommendations for Nimble as I've been scouring the forums today and will be adding them to the list of possible solutions. Do you know offhand of any educationally biased resellers that sell Nimble or are they more of a direct to vendor solution?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Thanks @glennda , I've seen quite a few recommendations for Nimble as I've been scouring the forums today and will be adding them to the list of possible solutions. Do you know offhand of any educationally biased resellers that sell Nimble or are they more of a direct to vendor solution?
    Not that are just educationally focused, my company does which is why I rave, are you on Twitter? best thing to do is find @Nick_Dyer_ and find out from him. He is the Senior Engineer for Nimble in the UK both pre and post sales.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Take a look at the Nimble CS210/CS220 if you are looking at the PS41* series. If anything apart from the fact they are more up to date technology it will make Dell drop there pants to convince you to buy a Equalogic. I have installed 2 nimbles in the last week and to say the performance is Amazing is an understatement, plus the built in compression (both are running at 35% compression) its quality kit.

If you have any questions of the Nimbles give me a shout they are one of the best bits of kit out in the San world at the moment and would put an Equalogic to shame.
    Can I get one of those into my blade centre?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Can I get one of those into my blade centre?
    What bladecenter is it?

They are one of the only devices certified to go into a Cisco UCS I know that, but i can find out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a Dell M1000E. That's why we went with the PS-M4110 series in the first place. If, however, third parties are doing blades for them it would be interesting for future reference!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    It's a Dell M1000E. That's why we went with the PS-M4110 series in the first place. If, however, third parties are doing blades for them it would be interesting for future reference!
    Sorry it won't sit within the blade itself my bad, but it is most likely compatible to connect into it but will need to check with Nimble.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Just to put my two pence in, we have just been through a similar process of evaluating which SAN to purchase, we have around 8 Hyper V hosts all with local storage and really wanted a large amount of storage (when does it stop growing!) and some redundancy in terms of Hyper V hosts - we looked at Dell, HP and then came across (through edugeek of course!) Nimble.

HP fell through pretty quickly based on the timeframe to just get a quote from them. Dell was a very close second and we liked the idea of single vendor but didn't want to be held back by that idea (we also purchased 2 x R620's with 256GB RAM in each for a new Hyper V cluster, along with 2 x Dell 6248 switches to be dedicated to the SAN switching - the R620s are extremely power efficient compared to our old PE2900's and even the R710's - not to mention going from 5U to 1U!), I had some very good conversations with Matt from Nimble (with plenty of questions from me) and ultimately we chose them, I think the key for us was to look very closely at what was actually being offered by each vendor in terms of performance in real terms as well as accessing future growth and needs (possible VDI etc.), for us there was a clear winner!

We went with a single CS240 (unfortunately our budget wouldn't allow for 2!), which means that we will leverage snapshots for short term backups but will keep DPM and some very large NAS boxes and tape library going for long term/disaster recovery). We haven't received it yet, so will try to update how we get on when it arrives, but really looking forward to putting it through it paces and checking out infosight.

I'm in Devon, but if anyone wants to see it in action (when we've got it in and running of course) or have a chat feel free to PM me.

Thank Post
    I finished putting our Dell (EMC) clarrion back onto service today.

nicely redundant.

2 storage processors, twin lan on each, connected to twin edge switches with twin redundant links back to the redundant cores.

4 way mulitipathing on the san.

this is for our old dell 2950s running Xenserver. We were relying on 1 Xenserver to host our Exchange , with only local storage.

Now we have 2 xenservers reliable shared storage and so the ability for one server to blow up and for us to keep on going.

Currently on the old version of xen server so the process is a manual restart on the server on the second hypervisor but it's a big improvement. Need to upgrade the servers to the later Xenserver for High Availability..

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrhart View Post
    Hi,

Just to put my two pence in, we have just been through a similar process of evaluating which SAN to purchase, we have around 8 Hyper V hosts all with local storage and really wanted a large amount of storage (when does it stop growing!) and some redundancy in terms of Hyper V hosts - we looked at Dell, HP and then came across (through edugeek of course!) Nimble.

HP fell through pretty quickly based on the timeframe to just get a quote from them. Dell was a very close second and we liked the idea of single vendor but didn't want to be held back by that idea (we also purchased 2 x R620's with 256GB RAM in each for a new Hyper V cluster, along with 2 x Dell 6248 switches to be dedicated to the SAN switching - the R620s are extremely power efficient compared to our old PE2900's and even the R710's - not to mention going from 5U to 1U!), I had some very good conversations with Matt from Nimble (with plenty of questions from me) and ultimately we chose them, I think the key for us was to look very closely at what was actually being offered by each vendor in terms of performance in real terms as well as accessing future growth and needs (possible VDI etc.), for us there was a clear winner!

We went with a single CS240 (unfortunately our budget wouldn't allow for 2!), which means that we will leverage snapshots for short term backups but will keep DPM and some very large NAS boxes and tape library going for long term/disaster recovery). We haven't received it yet, so will try to update how we get on when it arrives, but really looking forward to putting it through it paces and checking out infosight.

I'm in Devon, but if anyone wants to see it in action (when we've got it in and running of course) or have a chat feel free to PM me.
    You should get this just in time for 2.0 to be released fully and you will get a 20% performance boost within 10 mins to taking it out the box!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    You should get this just in time for 2.0 to be released fully and you will get a 20% performance boost within 10 mins to taking it out the box!
    Glad to hear it, I've just had the tracking through so hopefully it won't be too long, will make sure to upgrade straight away.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrhart View Post
    Glad to hear it, I've just had the tracking through so hopefully it won't be too long, will make sure to upgrade straight away.
    It goes completely available in the next couple of weeks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12