+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Question for religious folk in General; Originally Posted by Garacesh No. Atheism is not faith. Why I do not believe in your God is not the ...
    ht6

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    No.
    Atheism is not faith. Why I do not believe in your God is not the same reason I do not believe in a different deity. This is something I admittedly get a little hot-headed about because I do my best to put my arguments forward in a logical, fair manner and am open to discussion. To be told that Atheism is a system of faith and not a system of logic insults me.

Atheism is not the faith there is no God. It is the lack of faith in any and all deities.
    There is a very good video by QualiaSoup on this subject. I would recommend it.
    Faith: Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

As in a leap of faith. You take the leap in the 'faith' that you land safely.

So yes, it does take faith to be an atheist. Since you can't prove there is no God, it takes a leap of faith to believe that there is no God. Like it takes a leap of faith for me to believe there is a God.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i dont think anyone is saying science never gets things wrong but at least there is a method for examining and testing findings and in theory when something can be disproved you learn almost as much by being wrong you move on adjust your theories and test the new set. People are people so they pick questions to suit their needs etc and we have evolved to spot patterns wether they are meaningful or not which can send people down the wrong path.
    Not my point - as my comment has been taken out of context - context was 2 varying opinions, MMR vaccine may have been a bit too extreme an example.

Although I think your comment points out something simple - the wrong path is a matter of opinion. In the end, I would love for you all to become Christian, but I'm not going to force you, that's not what I believe I have been called to do. I believe everyone has free will to make their own choice, I may provide the odd insight or bit of information, but the choice is anyones if they want to find out more... no SafeStyle Christian Sales tactics here

ht6

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    can it so jesus fed the 5000 for instance how can you prove or disprove it 1000's of years after the fact from what at best is 3rd hand documentary evicence. Christmas has sheperds birthing lambs but is in december iirc lambs are born nearer march so christmas pretty much cant be in december
    And no where in the bible does it say it's in December...

Thank Post
    I think we all understand that Christmas was a hijacking of a pagan festival so don't get bogged down in that one

5. 2 Thanks to E_G_R2:

LosOjos (22nd May 2013), witch (22nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ht6 View Post
    So yes, it does take faith to be an atheist. Since you can't prove there is no God, it takes a leap of faith to believe that there is no God. Like it takes a leap of faith for me to believe there is a God.
    No. You are entirely wrong.
    There is something commonly known in the scientific community as 'The Burden of Proof', which basically defines who it is supplies evidence. You (as in the Christian community) are declaring there is a God. The burden of proof is on you.
    I do not have to disprove your God. You have to prove God's existence to me if you want me to accept your claim. Until you prove your claim, I do not have to accept it, and that is what Atheism is. Atheism is the lack of any belief in a God. It is logical and it is indifferent. I do not believe in God no more and no less than I do not believe in Zeus, Thor or, to expand it beyond deities, the Tooth Fairy. This is not faith.

Thank Post
    By that logic you have to have an infinite amount of faith simply to not believe all the incredible things that cannot be disproven. Just ask my invisible pink flying unicorns - they will soon put you straight on that.

I'm a sceptic. I have faith in an axiom that where things are true, there is evidence for them. I'm rather mean about my axioms and I try to have as little faith as possible.

Where someone posits something incredible, then the emphasis is on them to provide evidence in support of their claim. Resorting to "well, ha, but prove it doesn't exist" is rather risible. You can't prove a negative.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But there is a film about Thor, so he must be real, same with Jesus, the tooth fairy and Santa!

9. 2 Thanks to featured_spectre:

E_G_R2 (22nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Garacesh! So what is the 'smoking gun' that would say to you God Exists?

ht6

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    But there is a film about Thor, so he must be real, same with Jesus, the tooth fairy and Santa!
    Way to add value to the discussion. At least we were trying to keep it meaningful and respectful before you piped in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Faith: Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

As in a leap of faith. You take the leap in the 'faith' that you land safely.

No. It DOES NOT take faith to be an atheist. The absence of belief is not 'someone or something'. Why would someone who doesn't believe in something at all need to prove that it doesn't exist. It doesn't matter to them, it has no relevance or place in their life!

I wake up in the morning, and live my life without thinking "I don't believe in God". I simply don't believe in any deity. It doesn't enter my psyche as something I need to make a conscious decision about - it just doesn't matter to me.

ht6

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It doesn't matter to them, it has no relevance or place in their life!
    Glad it matters so little to you that you feel the need to reply to these sorts of threads. That's the pinnacle of 'not caring'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glad it matters so little to you that you feel the need to reply to these sorts of threads. That's the pinnacle of 'not caring'
    The question originally was one of trying to understand. Trying to understand how people can believe in an all powerful god enough to thank them for sparing their pooch, whilst seemingly ignoring the devastation that has also been caused. Understanding means tolerance and acceptance.

Correcting things that people are saying later in the thread is pretty useful I feel, as perpetuating misconceptions is always a bad thing - it leads to further misunderstanding.

Thank Post
    so we either care enough to respond and we have 'belief' or we don't respond with logic and our point of view isn't heard.
    great alternatives.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    The call to "prove it doesn't exist" is the refuge of the illogical and irrational. By all means have faith and belief, but recognise them for what they are and know how they are different from science and rational scepticism.
    "Prove it doesn't exist" is referred to in Science as "prove it's caused by something else rather than what bob over there thinks exists" isn't it?

ht6

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    so we either care enough to respond and we have 'belief' or we don't respond with logic and our point of view isn't heard.
    great alternatives.....
    Localz argument is it doesn't take faith because he doesn't care about it. Yet he does care because he has come on here to throw his 2 pence in the mixer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast