+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, What are you reading at the moment? in General; Just re-reading Feists' Magician series again. Will take a look at World War Z next. Although I have fond memories ...
    Thank Post
    Just re-reading Feists' Magician series again. Will take a look at World War Z next. Although I have fond memories of the Duncton Wood chronicles from too many years ago, may dig them out next.
    Last edited by pooley; 12th June 2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Thank Post
    Currently sitting through Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy, about a quarter of the way through The Crossing. Bloody love it so far.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Just re-reading Feists' Magician series again. Will take a look at World War Z next. Although I have fond memories of the Duncton Wood chronicles from too many years agom, may dig them out next.
    Halfway through the Kings Buccanear, Fiest is such an easy read. World War Zeee (I hate that) is a great book, the film will be nothing like it.

Thank Post
    What am I reading?

Situations Vacant.

Thank Post
    The Merrily Watkins was OK, but I'm getting a bit bored of the heroine's passivity.

"Goblins vs Dwarves" so far a lot of fun, but not as good as the first one.

Thank Post
    Not long finished Ken folletts world without end, now wading through the new Dan brown one.. Like others have said, bit hard going but typical brown really..

Waiting for the third part of Robyn youngs insurrection trilogy hopefully some point this year.. Failing that might try to find dantes Devine comedy ;D

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Re-reading Stephen King's "IT"
    I'd forgotten how well he writes

Thank Post
    Re-Reading Sniper One at the moment, Bit of an armchair general so enjoy books by Stephen E. Ambrose along with fiction by Chris Ryan.

Song of Fire and Ice (game of thrones) is a good long read, the first book I couldn't put down, found the second one a struggle though.

Christopher Hitchens is always a thought provoking read. (not just his religious books *ducks*)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesweeney View Post
    Not long finished Ken folletts world without end, now wading through the new Dan brown one.. Like others have said, bit hard going but typical brown really..

Waiting for the third part of Robyn youngs insurrection trilogy hopefully some point this year.. Failing that might try to find dantes Devine comedy ;D
    I loved both these books - Pillars of the Earth and World without end. Both of them gripped me and I was able to immerse myself easily. The new Dan Brown one is dire. It's awful. I found reading it was like wading through wet sand. ICanhascheezburger was more entertaining of a lunchtime...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Reading 'The Long Earth' by Terry Pratchett and Steve Baxter, love the concept and the authors are exploring it beautifully. Already looking forward to it's sequel.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Game of Thrones feels like the only fantasy series aimed at adults, not at teenagers. So many paint the world in very broad strokes ("and this is the King and he rules the land") instead of fleshing it out with details on the structure and repercussions of society. So very many assume good/evil is a black & white dichotomy and evil's motivation is evil for its own sake. More than anything, so many take LotR as a template, not an example. Your fantasy novel does not need to be about following a farm boy coming into his destiny! We do not need a quiet, bucolic origin story until evil suddenly crashes in on this idyllic existence! (This was one of my main problems with WoT book one, incidentally). ASOIAF is possibly the only traditional fantasy novel that dealt with shades of grey when it came to morality and motivation, and felt like the setting was complete and inherent to the story rather than a mere backdrop to proceedings.
    ASOIAF is far from the only book to do this, and I don't even think it does it particularly well. Don't get me wrong, I've read the whole series and thought it was great, I just didn't think it was as subversive to the genre as everyone is making it out to be. If you want to read a really subversive/non-traditional fantasy series, start reading The Prince Of Nothing series by R Scoot Bakker, starting with The Darkness That Comes Before. I've just finished the 5th book in the series, and I can honestly say it's the best fantasy I've read to date. Makes ASOIAF look like a childs story. It gets pretty graphic at times, but it's no worse than other "adult" fantasy books (ASOIAF etc) are really.

I don't understand how you guys could stick with Wheel Of Time for so long. It's the most boring, stodgy guff I've ever read. The main characters are literally never in danger, and the plot is unbelievably easy to predict. I'd say it's a book for teenagers, but imo it's pitched too low even for them. I stuck with it up to book 3 but I had to stop because the plot was just annoying me. It reminded me of some terrible anime plot, something like Bleach or DBZ where the characters face progressively larger "evils" (each time slightly too strong for them initially) and keep conveniently discovering NEW UNKNOWN ANCIENT TECHNIQUES to defeat them. As an adult, I wouldn't bother.

12. Thanks to Sdrawkcab from:

sonofsanta (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks @Sdrawkcab - I'd hoped there would be more than just ASOIAF out there, I just didn't know what it was. I will scout out that trilogy as soon as I can, much appreciated
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 12th June 2013 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Just finished The Tears of My Soul by Kim Hyun Hee. A very interesting book about a North Korean trained as a terrorist and how she deals with her actions once she realises life outside North Korea is very different from the image she has had beaten into her.

Now I need something slightly more lighthearted though! So I am reading Train Man/ Densha Otaku. Its about an Otaku in Akihabara and his fellow geeks guiding him through his first dating experience. Its very sweet/scarily familiar. Its also copied straight from an internet forum with plenty of ASCII art included so I feel right at home!

Thank Post
    Re-reading The White Queen by Philippa Gregory prior to it being televised. It's the story of Elizabeth Woodville wife of Edward IV and mother of the Princes in the Tower. I'm a bit of a sucker for a historical novel. The difficulty being separating the fact from the fiction and everyone seems to be called Edward, Henry, George or Richard! A good read. Hope the TV lives up to the book

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456