+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What are you reading at the moment? in General; Originally Posted by sonofsanta I think A Song of Ice and Fire has ruined almost all traditional fantasy for me ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post

I think A Song of Ice and Fire has ruined almost all traditional fantasy for me now.
    how so, i have quite a few friends who have started reading the genre after seeing a bit of the TV show (which is fine but imo you need to read the books 1st)

i feel one i have done WoT and fire and ice i will need to find something else to get my teeth into something which spans several books

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    how so, i have quite a few friends who have started reading the genre after seeing a bit of the TV show (which is fine but imo you need to read the books 1st)
    Game of Thrones feels like the only fantasy series aimed at adults, not at teenagers. So many paint the world in very broad strokes ("and this is the King and he rules the land") instead of fleshing it out with details on the structure and repercussions of society. So very many assume good/evil is a black & white dichotomy and evil's motivation is evil for its own sake. More than anything, so many take LotR as a template, not an example. Your fantasy novel does not need to be about following a farm boy coming into his destiny! We do not need a quiet, bucolic origin story until evil suddenly crashes in on this idyllic existence! (This was one of my main problems with WoT book one, incidentally). ASOIAF is possibly the only traditional fantasy novel that dealt with shades of grey when it came to morality and motivation, and felt like the setting was complete and inherent to the story rather than a mere backdrop to proceedings.

I'm sure that it's a fantastic gateway drug for newcomers to the genre, but it's been my preferred field of reading for two decades. It's demonstrated to me just how similar many other fantasy works are and that fantasy hasn't yet fulfilled even 5% of its potential, IMHO.

Mind you, I'd argue that China Mieville is a fantasy author, and Perdido Street Station is a fantasy epic. It just happens to have an original secondary world instead of a pseudo-medieval setting.

Joe Abercrombie is meant to be good grown-up fantasy, he's on my to-read list.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @sonofsanta the impression I got with the first WoT book was that it was almost written as a stand alone book, and it wasn't necessarily conceived as a series. Once Robert Jordan got the go ahead to make an epic sage, he then does everything you mention, people have different motivations, making them appear evil to some, good to others. It does still have the issue that there is a 'dark lord' who is evil, but there are definitely grey areas when it comes to motivation, trust and not everyone likes how the lead characters go about their business...

Still, my recommendation would be Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen, fantastic read.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    The Gears of War series by Karen Travis
    The Sigma series by James Rollins
    Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

Can't recommend those enough. Great time sinks.
    A big +1 from me for the Sigma series.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If a series hasn't grabbed me at any point with its entire first book, I fear it's lost me - there's too much else on my to-read list. I was going to go through the WoT audiobooks in my car and worked out it would take around 8 months of work journeys, and I couldn't face it. I will just have to trust others that WoT is deserving of its reputation!

Neil Gaimain is a fantastic author though, agreed. I will always think of the M25's layout as a gateway to hell. Gaiman's American Gods is utterly fantastic as well, and I love Stardust & Neverwhere.

While I'm on the topic of fantasy: Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora is superb, and Patrick Rothfuss's two books (Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear) are both very enjoyable reads. Likewise Naomi Novik's Temeraire series - not challenging in any way, but I think it's impossible to read about dragons in the Napoleonic wars and not smile.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 22nd May 2013 at 11:50 AM.

Thank Post
    @sonofsanta ahh i get your meaning from ruined now you expanded on it...

Jon
    Thank Post
    The Pirates series by Gideon Defoe, hysterical reading...

A quote from The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists.

“I should say we’d reach England by Tuesday or thereabouts, with a decent wind behind us. It would be a lot quicker than that if we could just sail straight there, but I was looking at the nautical charts, and there’s a dirty great sea serpent right in the middle of the ocean! It has a horrible gaping maw and one of those scaly tails that looks like it could snap a boat clean in two. So I thought it best to sail around that.’

FitzRoy frowned. ‘I think they just draw those on maps to add a bit of decoration. It doesn’t actually mean there’s a sea serpent there.’

The galley went rather quiet. A few of the pirate crew stared intently out of the portholes, embarrassed at their Captain’s mistake. But to everyone’s relief, instead of running somebody through, the Pirate Captain just narrowed his eyes thoughtfully.

That explains a lot,’ he said. ‘I suppose it’s also why we’ve never glimpsed that giant compass in the corner of the Atlantic. I have to say, I’m a little disappointed.”

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carvjo View Post
    My Favourite books are the two Dirk Gently books by Douglas Adams:
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
    they arent bad but id much rather read hitchikers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Yes, I did buy the Humble Bundle eBook deal when it was available.
    Same here, still only halfway through the books included in that bundle. A few good reads while I'm between other more mainstream books. Esp liked Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow, I've read a few of his other books and generally like the less surreal ones.

Currently reading through the Game of Thrones series (onto book 3). One of my preferred authors is Peter F Hamilton, he writes some great Sci-Fi but many of his books take a while to get into while it sets the scene and back story.

Another vote for Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett as well. When ever I've an hour or so to waste and I'm near a library I drop in and read a bit of Terry Pratchett.

Thank Post
    If you want an exceptionally well built fantasy world which is totally different from most fantasy series then Steven Erickson is definitely worth a read.

I loved China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and have just finished World War Z (which is very different from the film)

Thank Post
    Currently reading Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012... previously was reading ITIL V3 Foundation Exam... until that made me fall asleep too many times!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carvjo View Post
    My Favourite books are the two Dirk Gently books by Douglas Adams:
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
    Those are both great books. Have read them many times and they just don't seem to get old.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethm View Post
    Currently reading Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012... previously was reading ITIL V3 Foundation Exam... until that made me fall asleep too many times!!
    ms course books a good cure for insomnia lol and if reading fails they are heavy enough to knock you out lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    What are you reading at the moment?
    EduGeek.

Thank Post
    Greg Bear is also worth a read if you are into sci-fi. The Eon series is great.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast