+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Would you leave your job to join the police or other life changing role? in General; Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz Currently you have a relatively easy and well paid, quite unchallenging 9-5 mon-fri job but you ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    Currently you have a relatively easy and well paid, quite unchallenging 9-5 mon-fri job but you have wanted to join the police for 10 years or so and after a couple of setbacks the opportunity has arisen.
    As this is a forum for IT support people, we can assume you have reasonable skills / qualifications in various IT-related fields - if you're considering joining the police because you want to catch bad people, would working for a company that makes forensics software or similar be a good option?

Thank Post
    Ok a bit more info.

I am already a special and I do enjoy it, my concern is that the shifts, leave getting cancelled, impact on OH and children would make me resent the job. I know that I will look back if I dont do it and think 'what if' I also think that it would probably take 3- 4 years to get back to where I am now if the police didnt work out.

The continued removal of areas that I had dreamed of joining are all being cut - horses, motorcycle, traffic.

On the other hand, in 3 years time it would open up the possibility to emmigrate to Canada and work as a police officer over there which would be amazing.

Thank Post
    If your looking at doing something else life-changing, what about joining the TA (Or Army Reserve as it'll be called soon)?

I signed up in 2006 after hitting a bit of a funk and wanted to do something more challenging and to change up my life a bit, and to be honest I haven't looked back. I need to parade once a week, spend a weekend away per month on exercise, get to do a 2 week annual camp, as well as learn new skill sets in IT, telecommunications, electrician work, whatever you choose to do. Plus at the end of the tax year (providing you pass your "tests" for that year) you get a tax free bonus. Plus, you get to shoot stuff For yourself, you might want to join the TA RMP (Royal Military Police).

For example, I signed up to the TA Royal Signals and lost a lot of weight training for it. Once I passed, I then did my Trade Training (I opted to work for the Royal Signals which is the IT/Telecommunications branch) where I was taught a bit more about IT but also about telecommunications (ie radio and antenna propagation, satellite comms, etc). After that I did my DITS which shows you how to teach so that you can then build up your knowledge and deliver training to junior soldiers. Shortly after that in 2009 I went away to Cyprus for a 6 week exercise with the Regulars (Which was a nice break from the office), and returned back to work a little bit more. I'm now working towards my advancement and currently training for another exercise back out in Cyprus for 2 weeks. It gives you a nice balance between work and doing something you might enjoy - deployments pay quite well too, and come around every 6 months so if you fancy going to the Falkland on Penguin Watch...

I've managed to change my life from being bored to being paid to be fit, learn, wear the uniform and serve, and made some excellent friends and I'm at a point where I can't imagine life without the TA.

4. 2 Thanks to happymeal:

ButterflyMoon (20th May 2013), nephilim (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    I was in the TA at Uni - Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers. Absolutely fantastic time and would have loved to go to stay or even go to Sandhurst after Uni. However, kids & wife change how you view things and with what was kicking off at that time -Iraq, Afghanistan - I had to leave.

I guess that I just want/need something that means I am doing something useful, purposeful with my life. The song 'Little Boxes' drives me mad at the moment becuase I am terrified of being one of those sorts of people.

There must be more to life!?

Thank Post
    What do you do outside of work as a hobby?

I currently work with a youth group (Blackburn Sea Cadets) teaching them watersports, the Royal Navy and the work they do, and developing them from being brand new to being able to confidently teach new cadets, take charge of them, etc.

It's pretty rewarding and if you're after doing something "useful" (depends how you look at it), developing young people and giving them the skills, knowledge and confidence to make their own mark is worthwhile.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by happymeal View Post
    What do you do outside of work as a hobby?

I currently work with a youth group (Blackburn Sea Cadets) teaching them watersports, the Royal Navy and the work they do, and developing them from being brand new to being able to confidently teach new cadets, take charge of them, etc.

It's pretty rewarding and if you're after doing something "useful" (depends how you look at it), developing young people and giving them the skills, knowledge and confidence to make their own mark is worthwhile.
    Other than specials, I have nothing outside of work..I always feel guilty for going off and doing things, leaving the wife with the kids as her job means she is stupid busy every evening and most weekends too.

Thank Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are they?

Thank Post
    6 & 14

Thank Post
    What about you and your eldest join somewhere - that way they get to try something new, you get to see if it's what your after? It'll give your OH a bit of a break with only one at home, and then overtime sign your youngest up to complete the set

11. Thanks to happymeal from:

Hefferzzzz (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by happymeal View Post
    What about you and your eldest join somewhere - that way they get to try something new, you get to see if it's what your after? It'll give your OH a bit of a break with only one at home, and then overtime sign your youngest up to complete the set
    That does sound like a decent plan. You are indeed very wise.

Thank Post
    Shhhh you fool - they'll see through the facade and expect things of me!!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Boys or girls? Scouts always need help and it is very rewarding work

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12