+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Acer Travelmate 4230 in General; I got a laptop back in from staff and need to reinstall Windows - a complete fresh install. There is ...
    kerrymoralee9280

Acer Travelmate 4230

I got a laptop back in from staff and need to reinstall Windows - a complete fresh install. There is no recovery partition for some reason and no disks were shipped with the laptop (as they do nowadays).

I tried using an original XP disk but the BSOD appeared before I had a chance to do anything. I know that this disk works elsewhere so I figured it must not be able to cope with the hardware.

I contacted Acer, who said they would need to bring the laptop back in for 'repair', which of course I was not willing to allow. I asked if I could have a recovery CD/DVD sent instead and their reply came as:

"We can send your recovery disk out for a charge of £50".

Can they do this? Charge me £50 for a set of disks which I surely already posess the license for? I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with them.

If anyone has any advice, or knows how to build an Acer Travelmate 4230 from a standard XP disk could you let me know?

Much appreciated!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Acer Travelmate 4230

IIRC it needs to be XP including SP2. A friend working down in London has found this with a few Acers and Fujitsu machines. Depending on age of the machine it might even be XP inc SP1 and XP inc SP2 kills it ...

kerrymoralee9280

I see - I'll merge SP2 to into my current disk. The laptop is literally 3 months old so I'm guessing it'll need SP2 and not the other way around.

richard

I've has this problem 2 with a couple of Acer laptops and found that they need an XP disc with SP 2 included to stop them from BSOD at boot.

Thank Post

Yup was just about to post about SP2, had a few of the newer Dell laptops and desktops needing it too.

kerrymoralee9280

Sweet. Cheers guys. Just creating iso file now using nlite.

On the other matter, can Acer get away with charging £50 for a set of recovery disks?

kerrymoralee9280

Burnt iso to disk and is now installing, so it's gone a bit further than before.

Just came up saying cannot install clock.avi? Just pressed escape hoping its not a needed part.

Thank Post

Yep everyones right, ive got a Acer laptop at home and XP Pro would only install when it was slipstreamed with SP2

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread