+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is it wrong to block non manager staffs work calls outside of hours? in General; Hi, We get given phones at our work which we can either sign to say they will be work only ...

Thank Post

Is it wrong to block non manager staffs work calls outside of hours?

Hi,

We get given phones at our work which we can either sign to say they will be work only or you will be using them for personal calls as well which we pay for.

I have chosen the second option to allow me to us it as a personal phone also.

Every so often (happening more often these days) I get calls way out side of working hours, 2 1/2 hours outside sometimes from staff. If I choose not to answer they just keep trying until I get so annoyed I answer. I've had to disable voicemail because of this as the OCD bit in me can't have a 1 next to the phone symbol and if I do listen I then can't stop thinking about the issue until the morning ruining my evening (hate to admit but this isn't a exaggeration either)

I don't mind answering calls from my manager and his manager as I know they will be urgent if they ever call but calls from staff are always things that can wait or should be put on the fault database.

I have just downloaded a blacklisting app for my phone that I can choose what contact groups I want to receive calls from and when.

To me this seems acceptable as after my hours finish it is for personal calls.

Does this sound ok to everyone else?

Who wouldn't you block?
    Last edited by dany2010; 15th May 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd be throwing it back at them and buying my own phone unless paid to be on call

Thank Post
    Hand in an overtime claim for each call,15 mins each. It will soon stop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markwilfan View Post
    I'd be throwing it back at them and buying my own phone unless paid to be on call
    Said to my manager jokingly that I was going to do it one time.

Think blacklisting calls on a schedule is the nearest thing. Don't want to carry two phones around with me and it's also a free iPhone with free texts, not that I send many these days.
    Last edited by dany2010; 15th May 2013 at 11:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What app have you used by the way?

Thank Post
    I have calls going to my mobile here, there is an extension that forwards calls directly to it and it was something that I was asked on starting, its not something that I mind when I am in work, though since I joined orange, the signal is awful on the site I work so its problematic now with calls cutting out.

I get very little calls outside of my working hours at all though here, I personally make it a point though not to answer it when I am not in work and see the main school number calling me, people can leave voicemails by all means that can be dealt with when I am in work, anything else my line manager has my mobile number and can text/call me direct if needed, same for the bursar and SMT at the site.

Thank Post
    Depends on many things...

I would much rather have a call from someone saying "should there be smoke coming from this..." rather than not.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Depends on many things...

I would much rather have a call from someone saying "should there be smoke coming from this..." rather than not.
    the problem is screening the wheat from the chaff. I once had a teacher phone me up on christmas day morning about her sons new netbook. which imo is not acceptable

Thank Post
    Do the hours you're paid for, anything else doesn't get dealt with until you're back and within your paid working hours. They don't respect you anymore for answering calls from home, in fact if you do it often they'll come to expect it! Don't get walked all over.

Thank Post
    That is why I have a 2nd phone just for school stuff, when I dont want to talk to people I turn it off!

Thank Post
    I'd certainly block or at the very least not answer work calls out of hours, receiving work emails on my personal phone is bad enough! Core staff here have my personal number but other than that I use a dect handset connected to the schools system when working.

Teachers have a habit of working at odd times, I get emails whenever our copier comes up with an error or jams. I often get them on weekends or very late at night.

Thank Post
    I would get my own phone and leave the work one at work, they shouldn't be calling you unless there was a major problem and then it should only be management. You are making a rod for your own back I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    Why do all staff have the number??

Thank Post
    Thats why i have iblacklist on my iphone (you have to jailbreak it to install it though), if their number isn't on the allowed list they can't call me. stops all the unwanted sales call etc too.

Thank Post
    should of just got your own phone.

I have a work mobile which is only on during work hours. Only the HT and the bursar have my personal mobile but they know its only for emergencys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast