+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is it wrong to block non manager staffs work calls outside of hours? in General; They have no right to call you outside of your contracted hours unless you are on-call. Leave the phone at ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They have no right to call you outside of your contracted hours unless you are on-call. Leave the phone at work and get yourself one on a cheapy contract for personal use. Don't give the number to anyone work-related. We have enough stress in our lives without having to put up with this as well. I never check my work emails outside of working hours, and have blocked all work email from my personal email accounts. Staff are blocked from my social networking rubbish as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2010 View Post
    Every so often (happening more often these days) I get calls way out side of working hours, 2 1/2 hours outside sometimes from staff. If I choose not to answer they just keep trying until I get so annoyed I answer.
    I'd guess this would be a few individuals. Take the call, be polite, promise to investigate the problem RFN and call them back with a solution as soon as you have it. Do so at 2am.

Thank Post
    I have a work phone, it very hard to switch off (mentally) on an evening with it sat there. Some staff have in the past tried to abuse it, I found a stern word the next day solved the issue. It is however a very catch 22 situation people feel because you have the phone they can contact you at anytime. Get the ground rules set out about the phone. My boss's know if it is ugent I will check my emails and voicemail during an evening monday to friday and there is no chance of getting me at a weekend. It a mix of work and play and it can get very mixed up in the education market. As stated before teachers work very strange hours and for 6 weeks at a time, ask them if they are always contactable in the holidays? or try ringing the teachers on there home phone on a half term and see what their repsonse is....

Teachers live in a teaching world it not similar to mine or yours...
    Last edited by RichB; 16th May 2013 at 12:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they pay you to be on call out of hours - as some IT technicians are in private sector - then fine. If not, then no, absolutely not. Stuff 'em! You ain't their dancin' monkey

When teachers complain that they are always at work, that is because they are paid to always be at work. There's a high court ruling explicitly stating they are paid to work 365 days a year. You are paid to work 37 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. Remind them of that.

Thank Post
    If you like the phone get a SIM only contract, and switch SIMs when you are at home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What app have you used by the way?
    Iblacklist also.

It's seems to work with contact groups and everything. Bit clunky sometimes but it does the job. And has all the schedulers etc.

Looks like the block calls option wins.
    Have now denied all calls apart from the managers phone. They just get the busy tone. Same with unknown numbers.

I would like to think they would unplug something smoking but I couldn't guarantee that one
    Last edited by dany2010; 16th May 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Thank Post
    I have a work provided phone. Evenings and weekends I put it on silent and ignore it, I'm not paid to be on call. It is useful to be able to check emails in the morning before coming in to work, delete the rubbish and be aware of what needs doing first thing. The number is on the staff phone list - currently it's not abused and I hope it will stay that way!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Samsung phones running later versions of android have a blocking mode so only certain calls and notifications can be allowed to disturb you.

No-body at work has my personal mobile and they don't provide me with one so tough.

Ben

Thank Post
    As soon as they have your work number they'll become incapable of helping themselves.

I think its the price you've had to pay for not investing in your own phone. If it were me, iphone or no iphone, I'd hand it back.

Thank Post
    If you don't want to be bothered by calls from work, buy your own phone, don't give the number of that to anyone and return the other one to work. Or just switch it off outside of your agreed times to be available.

If you're not ready to take that step just yet then ask the person who okayed you having it what their expectations are and (assuming you agree that they're reasonable) ask for their help enforcing those expectations with the people who keep calling at all hours.

Clearly someone has handed out that number as the number to call for IT support and has some kind of expectation that you will answer it out of hours - either explicitly because that's why they agreed for you to have the phone in the first place, or implicitly because are failing to set other more reasonable expectations when giving the number to others.

Thank Post
    5:35 on a Sunday night and I got a text saying as they don't receive cables with Nokia phones how do you setup work emails on them.

Looks like I will be flicking the SMS switch too on iblacklist.
    Auto reply setup

"Auto reply - I am not currently in the office at the minute. Please use report a fault if you have a issue and another technician should pick it up. Thanks"
    Last edited by dany2010; 19th May 2013 at 11:51 PM.

gsk

Thank Post
    For those that haven't jailbroken their iPhone. Do not Disturb will not make a noise when someone that is not on your favorites list rings, texts or emails. I have to say though that I am loving some of the irony here about 'do not answer outside work time. simples.'.... while they're posting on a forum in work time....

Thank Post
    Definitely fine with the black listing option here. If you open that door then you can never close it again. You will become a 24/7 work and personal IT monkey.

Thank Post
    I've been feeling for quite some time that this thread shows quite nicely why some teachers regard their support staff as "unprofessional".

Sure, don't let them take the p!ss, but working with people ends up with a much more pleasant working environment. If you are determined to be a jobs-worth, go and work for British Leyland. "Sorry mate, I'm a nut tightener. More than my job's worth to undo a nut!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I've been feeling for quite some time that this thread shows quite nicely why some teachers regard their support staff as "unprofessional".

Sure, don't let them take the p!ss, but working with people ends up with a much more pleasant working environment. If you are determined to be a jobs-worth, go and work for British Leyland. "Sorry mate, I'm a nut tightener. More than my job's worth to undo a nut!"
    In the same way that its unprofessional to ask your IT tech at work to fix your personal laptop. For free.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast