+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Oil Price Fixing For The Past 10 Years? in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    wouldnt be so bad if they spent the tax on transport but it just goes to a general pot fine for vat but if you tax an activity shouldnt that activity get the benefits rather than as now roads that are more hole than road, poor public transport (outside london which is hevily subsidised) but i think i saw some figures showing that less than a 1/4 of what the motorist puts in in tax goes anywhere near roads
    Cost of fuel duty (+VAT) to the UK motorist - £30Bn in 2012.

Department for transport's budget: £5.3Bn + 7Bn capital expenditure (2012) figures.

Thank Post
    Nuts. Scrap "Car Tax" and put a penny or two on fuel (sorry - 0.000375p/gal- that looks ridiculously little, maybe maths is out) based on a 40mpg car doing 10000 miles. About average I suppose.

That way if you choose to be frugal, you save, if you want to drive 20k plus miles in a Hummer, you pay for the privilege. For the double win, those useless clowns in Swansea would have to do some real work!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sadly even if this is found to be true I think normal consumers will see next to nothing if anything as a refund. On the other hand all the business's who keep invoice trails for company fuel use could try to claim at least.
    Its not cash in the consumers pocket but it would help business's.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Nuts. Scrap "Car Tax" and put a penny or two on fuel (sorry - 0.000375p/gal- that looks ridiculously little, maybe maths is out) based on a 40mpg car doing 10000 miles. About average I suppose.

That way if you choose to be frugal, you save, if you want to drive 20k plus miles in a Hummer, you pay for the privilege. For the double win, those useless clowns in Swansea would have to do some real work!
    GPS will probably come along and fix that issue in the future, that or motorway tolls or the like. I doubt the gov would want to put it directly on fuel as they lose an element of control and independence then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Cost of fuel duty (+VAT) to the UK motorist - £30Bn in 2012.

Department for transport's budget: £5.3Bn + 7Bn capital expenditure (2012) figures.
    The "fleeced motorist" is a myth. Lots of the external costs of motoring are bourne by the people outside the car.

On hypotecated taxation - great. How are you going to pay for social services? The welfare system? Defence? Pensions? Have a read of ipayroadtax.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    The "fleeced motorist" is a myth. Lots of the external costs of motoring are bourne by the people outside the car.

On hypotecated taxation - great. How are you going to pay for social services? The welfare system? Defence? Pensions? Have a read of ipayroadtax.com
    surely social services, welfare and defence etc should be paid out of income tax as they are a general item. my argument is if you tax something specific it should benefit something specific so tax on getting from a to b gets spent on transport, tax on cigs and alcohol to nhs etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    surely social services, welfare and defence etc should be paid out of income tax as they are a general item. my argument is if you tax something specific it should benefit something specific so tax on getting from a to b gets spent on transport, tax on cigs and alcohol to nhs etc
    Doesn't work like that.

"I've spend £hundreds of tax in my 60 years of cigarette addiction. I have more right to NHS treatment than your sick child who's paid £0. Send her home."

"I spent £hundreds on VED for my gas guzzler / HGV / coach. Your hippymobile which has £0 VED should get out of my way. Death to all cyclists."

"I don't think Trident is a good use of my taxes. I'm witholding X% to take account of that".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    A link from the IPPR. A Fabianist, leftist group of professional meddlers. You'll forgive me if I disregard their reports entirely.

What about the external costs of sitting around waiting for a bus for 40 minutes? What about the external costs of not being able to get to work because the train drivers are on strike because they want a 98% pay rise this week? Did they include those external costs?

Here's a crazy concept. Let's try not spending so much money.

Thank Post
    Oil Company chiefs must surely be worried now, just the same way that the basically criminal bankers were when their dodgy monopolistic dealings were highlighted ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12