+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, PAT Testing in General; Hi All Do any schools do this in house? I have been asked to look for a system which is ...

Thank Post

PAT Testing

Hi All

Do any schools do this in house? I have been asked to look for a system which is portable, and dosnt cost the earth.

From a quick google there are loads of systems out there, and also from what I can tell you don't need any formal qualification to be able to do this?? Is this correct?? Granted there are courses which you can go on, which give you a nice A4 certificate at the end saying you have spent x amount of hundreds of pounds to get this A4 certificate but it was pointless and just a day out of the office..

Anyway your thoughts would be very welcome, along with maybe the model numbers of the kit you use :-)

Thanks

Thank Post
    Our site manager went on a course and now does. One hell of a job in addition to his other work but at least I get asked before anything is switched off.

Thank Post
    Having the certification gives you (and mainly your employer) something to fall back on in the event that you try to PAT something and then it explodes…
    By far go with a battery powered tester though!

Thank Post
    If your school subscribes to CLEAPSS - perhaps through the LA - they have good advice. Ask the science dept.... Welcome to CLEAPSS

Thank Post
    We currently have 2 testers, both Seaward, one is a europer plus which is ok but getting out of Date now. We don't use it much anymore. The other one is a primetest 350. Seaward have just brought out a new tester which is in line with the new code of practice version 4. I think the best thing to do is get yourself the new code of practice book.

I can pm you some links tomorrow if you like, and a couple of contacts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstech View Post
    We currently have 2 testers, both Seaward, one is a europer plus which is ok but getting out of Date now. We don't use it much anymore. The other one is a primetest 350. Seaward have just brought out a new tester which is in line with the new code of practice version 4. I think the best thing to do is get yourself the new code of practice book.

I can pm you some links tomorrow if you like, and a couple of contacts.
    Hi Kingstech that would be good thanks, and thanks to others for your comments..

Thank Post
    I believe you need to go on the course to become a "competent" tester.

Definitely go for a handheld. We have a 240v tester and it's a nightmare to have to..

1) find a free plug
    2) test
    3) unplug
    4) drag it a few feet
    5) repeat

Being tethered to a wall is awful, and you'll end up pulling your hair out. If you do go 240v use a long extension cord.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingashore View Post
    I believe you need to go on the course to become a "competent" tester.

Definitely go for a handheld. We have a 240v tester and it's a nightmare to have to..

1) find a free plug
    2) test
    3) unplug
    4) drag it a few feet
    5) repeat

Being tethered to a wall is awful, and you'll end up pulling your hair out. If you do go 240v use a long extension cord.
    Which you have duly PAT tested, figuring in the calculation for the length of flex multiplied by the diameter, minus off the first number that comes into your head, divided by the earths electrical continuity in ohms.... or something

I was in the same situation and yes I did a course... Not sure it was really helpful as such, because I don't know the first thing about mains electronics. But it gave me a little confidence.

As a few people will tell you here, never agree to PAT testing I've been asked to do it as the previous tech support guys did it. Can be very time consuming depending on size/amount of items, how accessible they are, what tests you do and how many parts there are to even one PC/monitor combo! Oh yes... and all the buck will then stop with you. The legislation is all very 'grey', and not at all as you would expect. What defines a PAT test, or a 'competent person' or even how often it is done or whether it is really necessary at all (apart from to show that you are complying with the H&S regs) is extremely blurry in my opinion. Even down to the fact that they have pretty much scrapped doing PAT testing in their own offices...

Of the very few I have tentatively done, I would second a battery/hand held option, but from what I've found out it means there are some tests it cannot do if not connected to the mains supply (apparently there are alternative tests), but then we get back to what constitutes a PAT test... ? a PA test...? In service inspection and testing of electrical equipment test...!

We have a massive old, heavy and complicated SEAWARD (supernova I think), but I've borrowed one from another school (KEWTECH KT71) and although it's not battery powered, it's a bit lighter to lug around the building.

Good luck!

Kol.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread